X01 Cassette stuck

mxh

Likes Dirt
I'm trying to get the X01 Cassette off to give it a clean and grease. However, it seems to be stuck to the body. I've read a few forum posts of people having the same issue, and they're resolved by prising something, giving it a whack - but I'm just not sure how it goes together to know exactly what I'm trying to get apart, where to prise, what to whack etc

I undid the locknut in the cassette as far as it would go, but it got tight again, so something obviously wasn't right there. I tapped the cassette from the back and it came off with the hub body, so here's what I've got.

https://imgur.com/a/ZZE2w

I'm soaking it in penetrating oil (hence the drip), but what do I need to do to get the cassette off?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its bound to the cassette carrier by sheer powerrrr !!!

Not like its a 7-8 pieces that have gouged themselves on to a alu Hope body. Give it a soak as you are doing, then put it in a soft jaw vice (dont squeeze the carrier) and use a big screwdriver to lever the carrier out. Could also set the cassette just on the vice jaws with enough gap to allow the carrier to move freely, put a piece of wood on the top of the carrier (where the locknut screws in) then tap with a hammer/mallet. This might be enough to free it.

When installing again, lightly apply some never-seize on the key ways.

ozzybmx

Ahhh... just thinking, its an XD driver ?

Trap the cassette in a wood lined vice and give it a bit of muscle, it has to come off. The dry alu threads may be damaged so it could cause damage.

Then when installing again, use never-seize on the threads but be aware it will tighten harder with lube on the threads.

Reactions: Zaf

ozzybmx

Sorry... got called out... for a beer or 2. The cassette lock ring spanner.

mxh

Likes Dirt
The lock ring is undoing OK. I can turn it anti-clockwise, but it gets to a point where it tightens up then 'jumps'- I can then untighten it another turn and it 'jumps' again. So it seems like it's undone (ie at the end of it's thread) , but just won't pull the cassette off the body. Is there a method of prising the body out of the cassette, as I'm assuming the lock ring is no longer holding it in?

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this happened to a mate who is a Sram test rider

Took it to the guys at Sram and they couldn't get the cassette off the driver

When I pop my XX1 cassettes on, I all ways use anti-seize on nearly the entire cassette body

It may be only be the 42T that is sticking, use a screwdriver to try and pry the 42t off the main body and it mat help it release

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
It's not a lock ring in the traditional sense. It's a long sleeve, threaded at the inboard end. That thread tightens onto the driver.

mxh

Likes Dirt
Left it soaking in oil last night but still no movement. Any further suggestions as to how to separate the two?

And worst case scenario and I need to replace the cassette, I assume I can just buy a new driver as well?

ozzybmx

The lock ring is undoing OK. I can turn it anti-clockwise, but it gets to a point where it tightens up then 'jumps'- I can then untighten it another turn and it 'jumps' again. So it seems like it's undone (ie at the end of it's thread) , but just won't pull the cassette off the body. Is there a method of prising the body out of the cassette, as I'm assuming the lock ring is no longer holding it in?
If its completely undone (end of the threads) then you should be able to tap the cassette body through. IIRC when you unscrew a XD cassette, the screw acts as a puller and moves the cassette off the 'screwed in' position, going on your photo on post 1, the cassette is still in the screwed in position... but you say the threads are completely unscrewed.

I would be supporting the cassette over the vice with the jaws just wide enough to let the carrier through and tapping (at first) with a wooden shaped dowell on the cassette carrier, this tapping would get a bit more progressive until something gave.... If its definitely 'unscrewed' as far as it goes, that carrier should come out... the strange thing is the 42t still looks snugly fitted in the fully screwed in position.

Your talk of a new cassette and freehub body, I would be giving the removal a 100% effort till possible destruction before buying new bits. Even use a large pin punch which will probably make a mess of the carrier.

Whats the hub anyway ? Most manufacturers sell the freehub body as a spare... someone here might even be able to help you out.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Gee, what was wrong with using a simple locknut on the outboard side of the cassette anyhow? I gather boost + 12 geared cassettes squeezed it out of existence. How to get leverage once removed from the wheel mustn't be easy.

Is creative use of a chain whip, your hands in yoga poses, screwdrivers, hammers, vice and the BFO shifter the official removal tools or is there a Sram $pecial tool needed involving prayers then harsh language?

ozzybmx

It works that way usually, same as regular cassette removal, a chain whip and cassette lock ring tool.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wot he said, it should unscrew itself off those short splines you can see in the pic, so if u are confident it's fully unscrewed (sounds like it) but the largest sprocket is still against the base of the xd driver, then I'm thinking either the driver is getting shorter (unlikely) or the cassette stack height is getting bigger. Ie something is up.

And if the cassette has moved up the splines but now stopped, and you've lubed it, maybe some freeze and release to shrink the driver, and a bigger hammer.

mxh

Likes Dirt
Well, I've put it all back together as I want to go riding this afternoon! The object of the exercise was to clean and grease as a) there's a bit of a creaking coming from down that way (which may or may not be the cassette) and b) as routine maintenance to prevent it sticking. Too late for b), and a) doesn't stop me riding!

But thanks for the info, links, pictures etc. It's easy to understand how best to get something to pieces once you've got it in pieces, but whilst it's still together it's not always so obvious. I'll have a good go at it next time knowing at least knowing what's supposed to happen!

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can remove the driver and the cassette from the hub body, try the following
Place the cassette on 2 large pieces of wood - one on each side of the carrier. (I use a cable reel that has a ~50mm spindle diameter, so the body fits nicely in the spindle)
Gently tap the cassette tool - making sure it isn't bottomed out on the cassette, so that it falls through the cassette. Failing that, try a bigger hammer. And given the price of X01 cassettes in Aus, sacrifice the driver not the cassette if you can

Keachy

Likes Dirt
If you can remove the driver and the cassette from the hub body, try the following
Place the cassette on 2 large pieces of wood - one on each side of the carrier. (I use a cable reel that has a ~50mm spindle diameter, so the body fits nicely in the spindle)
Gently tap the cassette tool - making sure it isn't bottomed out on the cassette, so that it falls through the cassette. Failing that, try a bigger hammer. And given the price of X01 cassettes in Aus, sacrifice the driver not the cassette if you can
I have had the same issue. As above but Tap the end cap with your mallet and the freewheel body will fall thru. It's just caught on the last bit of thread. All good. Use some force, it's all tough kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk