XC Bars

climberman

Likes Dirt
What's worth looking at in the better end of mid range?

Carbon the go?

Am looking to source and price a build and have no good idea on what's great in bars at the moment, other than ones to drink in in Wollongong for the over 40's.

Cheers.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Carbon are definately the go . The amount of chatter they reduce is amazing giving you a better feel in my opinion . I have Crank Bros cobalt 2 XC flat on one and FSA SL-K with slight rise on the other . Now you will have the headache of wondering which to get and in what rise or do i go flat and what length !

teK--

Eats Squid
I used easton havoc carbon on my xc bike they were great only 750 wide. Before that easton carbon money bar 690mm

creaky

XMAS Plumper
For value/quality/weight I can't go past easton EC70 wide flat. There are better quality bars (e.g. Syntace) that have a better damping ability but the Eastons are great and come in 720mm which is pretty good for XC.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
What's your budget and what width/shape are you after?

I'd certainly recommend carbon...

For example.... Syntace make tons of different carbon bars.... 8 degree and 12 degree backsweep with ranges from -10mm to +35mm heights (relative to the centre of bar)

picture5742_Syntace.jpg

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
For value/quality/weight I can't go past easton EC70 wide flat. There are better quality bars (e.g. Syntace) that have a better damping ability but the Eastons are great and come in 720mm which is pretty good for XC.
I run the EC70 in 685mm on a couple of my bikes and really like them. To me the carbon bars have a softer plastic feel and alloy feel hard and stiff.
I bought Easton because I can't afford Syntace.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Most seem to run carbon, most popular width in XC is around the 680 - 700 range. Most popular overall would be the easton ec70 (685 width), then Ritchie then a crap load of other brands.

Whether you want flat or low rise will depend on your current position height and what you prefer - do you want your hands to be lower or higher , any hand problems , or perineum pressure you need to measure.

About 9degrees back sweep seems pretty popular as well