XC FAQ Thread - Hardware, Training, etc...

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
any chance those in the know...could post details of what to take to the big events...eg the 24 hr events...as far as gear, etc...

i've done some long tri's like a little event in forster coupla times, so have a rough idea food wise on the bike...

but what else ??

Bodin

GMBC
any chance those in the know...could post details of what to take to the big events...eg the 24 hr events...as far as gear, etc...

i've done some long tri's like a little event in forster coupla times, so have a rough idea food wise on the bike...

but what else ??
I've asked for contributions to a new thread specifically on the topic of XC nutrition.

Watch this space: http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=116824

Otherwise, search on the term "nutrition" in the XC / Enduro forum and you'll find some good threads on Endurance preparation, but they're more about training than eating. But you might find what you're looking for...

When it comes to gear, I'll give you my list that I take on every long ride:

Nutrition
Camelback - 2L plain water
On the bike - 1 or 2 750mL bidons of sports drink, depending on length of ride and possible refills
Powerbars & Gels to suit length of ride. Occasionally cold pizza if the ride is long enough for a lunch break.

Parts n' stuff
Topeak multitool (don't leave home without it)
Handful of zip ties (another don't leave home without it item)
1 or 2 tubes (even though I ride UST tubeless, I did need one once)
Mini pump that can also use CO2 cartriges + a few CO2 cartriges.
Spare derailleur hanger
A few bolts for various parts of the frame.
Chain lube
A few SRAM powerlinks for the chain.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Last edited:

HamishS

Likes Dirt
XC handlebar rise?

Hey all,

Wasnt too sure whether to put this here or under the XC Riding thread ... though anyhow's here we go.

Just getting back into riding, have got myself a new bike ... which fits!

Though was looking as putting a new set of bars up front ... as I'm around 6foot 4in, was hoping to get a set with some rise in them ... as they do need to come up a touch.

Can anyone tell me:

- How high can I go? Was looking up to 25-30mm , is there a no go zone for XC bars to stay in control?
- What will be the effect of going up in the stem? Steering / control?
- And any recommendations of brands ... what's good etc. Not really looking to spend anymore than $120 - maybe a bit more.

Thanks

Hamish

XC FAQ Thread Hardware Training etc

huh. its a shame that none of the 84-87 links work.. i wonder why? it would be nice to have those working again because i JUST ANSWERED the exact same question twice, which SHOULD BE in the FAQ but it is blocked out.. huh.

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Age divisions

Ive looked on the MTBA site and even emailed them trying to find out what the age divisions are, masters, super masters etc

I'm 48 what div do I fit into?

avanti vapour 1

Cannon Fodder
help please

Hi im new here, been riding a hardtail for the last 16 months and just upgraded to a dual. I,m interested in going in my first event, a 3 hour crosscountry enduro. i ride once, sometimes twice a week for 2 hours in the Nerang forest. Im thinking of going in a 3 hour event in 4 weeks time. Im 42. can anyone give me a four week training program and any advice, id really appreciate it.