XC Grips

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Farkers,

My current grips are fairly worn but OK, but a good spill last week has knackered them so it's time to replace.

I went down to my LBS and checked out torpedo7 and there are heaps around, ranging from $10 through to $70. Anyway, I just wanted to know what the difference is (materials? Durability?) and what Farkers use and recommend.

Cheers,

Coaster

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Odi ruffians are absolutely fantastic,they are lock-ons,are grippy(wearing gloves is a must),and they look the goods,they also come in a variety of patterns,also they are quite thin and not bulky.
I would never go back to anything else,but that is just my opinion,you will need to try them to find out what you like!

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just gone a set of Oury lock on grips, which I am very very happy with.

Alot of my friends ride with the Oury glue on grips, they seem to have a bit of a cult following.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
ODI X trainers, $10 from ebay, nice and soft for gloveless riding with enough feel for the trail.

My girlfriend runs hot pink OURY grips and she loves them sooo soft.

workmx

Banned
I used to use AME Super Soft MTB grips on my rigid Marin (www.amegrips.com).
But they are a bit thick and soft for a suspended bike.

ODI Ruffian lock-ons were too thin for my hands.
And wore out too quickly for me (esp. given how much they cost).
WTB Weirwolfs were very comfy but slipped/rotated on the bars easily.

A good compromise is DMR Zip Grips.
They wear fairly quickly, but are comfy.
With some hair-spray and the zip-ties they lock in place and don't move.
I also like the extra coverage (145mm versus 130mm on the Ruffians).

I currently use the DMRs.
When they wear out I would like to try ODI Rogues.
Hopefully they will be softer and wear less quickly than the Ruffians.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I'm using Ruffian MX, but they're kinda expensive, especially if you lose bolts or crack lockrings.
The new Ozriders grips are becoming quite popular, plus you're supporting a local owner :) I'll be trying these over the next few months.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Does anyone make a foam lock on grip? I like the feel of foam grips, but need lockon ability, I use the ODI ones with no pattern, I think they are a Rogue variant, but they are pretty hard and gloves are needed.

Macr

Likes Dirt
For anyone that think the ODI Ruffians are too hard, then I would definitely recommend the Rogues. I have had my set for years and have worn some of the anodizing off the lock rings, but still have only worn the grip minimally.

They are not as fat as Oury's and are very close in softness. I will be buying another set soon for my single speed as they have a ruffian style textured grip and they killed my gloves and are uncomfortable on long rides.

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
The best lock ons I've owned have been the Race Face ones (have tried Ruffians, Yeti, Rogues, Lizard Skins). Nice soft compound, and thin too. Currently running Ruffians on 2 bikes, but want to chase up more of the RF ones to replace the ruffians.. I got over a full season on a DH bike out of the RF ones, so good durability too.

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
I currently have the oury lock ons and some giant lock ons. The giants are similar in size and pattern to ruffians and i personally don't like them as when i grip on, my fingers are touching my palm so it just kind of irritates me. The oury's seem to be a bigger chunkier grip so the previous problem is solved. they are also so so soft but wearing gloves is a must. Probably get another set of Oury's to replace the giants as soon as i have money again :)

'Ross

Eats Squid
^^^Those Ozriders look like a good concept, being hexagonal rather than circular. How would I get a pair? LBS? The website is a little vague on details.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah... good question. I got mine directly from them. You could probably get some by emailing them (info@ozriders etc)

workmx

Banned
^^^Those Ozriders look like a good concept, being hexagonal rather than circular. How would I get a pair? LBS? The website is a little vague on details.
They look very similar to the hexagonal Ritchey WCS grips circa 1994.
I guess you can't keep a good design down.

Speaking of well designed grips... I wish I could still get Onza Porcipaws.

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I found that Oury's have very thin rubber at the ends, making a hole and allowing moisture to really make things slippery. Not good.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't beat Ritchey WCS foam grips. Use them on my XC bike and have never had numb hands since putting them on. Put them on with hairspray and they will never move.

I run Oury lock ons on the SS.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They look very similar to the hexagonal Ritchey WCS grips circa 1994.
I guess you can't keep a good design down.
They still make them, that was my grip of choice before the OzRiders. Basically the ozriders are lighter and cheaper.