XC HT + Roadie? Or XC HT + Cyclocross?

a.brasington

Likes Bikes
That's a nice option!

Though at the moment I'm leaning very heavily towards one of those sexy Giants.

The basic plan is to keep it stock, and only swap out the Racing Ralphs for a more mellow tread like Stan's Raven, and set it up tubeless. For commutes I'll keep the pressure high for the roads, and on weekend firetrail and singletrack rides I'll drop the pressure all the way down.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
That's a nice option!

Though at the moment I'm leaning very heavily towards one of those sexy Giants.

The basic plan is to keep it stock, and only swap out the Racing Ralphs for a more mellow tread like Stan's Raven, and set it up tubeless. For commutes I'll keep the pressure high for the roads, and on weekend firetrail and singletrack rides I'll drop the pressure all the way down.
i've got 28mm slicks on at the moment as CX races aren't for a while... but during the CX season i'll swap back to my Maxxis Raze's which are a ripper tyre on bitumen (sit on ~30km/h comfortably), and did a sweet job on a dry CX track. in the wet i'll be switching back to the Super Swan's though.

a.brasington

Likes Bikes
Another nice option just discovered: Focus Mares 2.0 Cx
It's a similar price to the Giant Tcx Adv 1.
Thru axle front n rear.
Internal routing.
Hydra disk brakes.
Lighter than the Giants.
Sram Rival.
Dt swiss wheels.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm commuting on my Giant Defy Advancd Pro 2 currently. I have a few shitty sections on my commute but it sucks it up fine.

Damn comfortable frame. Disc brakes are awesome - I totally agree that rim brakes are to be avoided, but you dont need to go CX to get them ;-)

I also fitted 28mm tubeless road tyres (Schwalbe One, 80 bucks a pair from Bike24) and they are lovely... Smooth and fast.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/defy.advanced.pro.2/18931/77132/

This is the lower model of the middle frame of the 3 grades of carbon Defy frames. There are plenty to choose from for your budget!

I reckon for a commuter hack (mine is meant to be a bit more than that, but I love riding it so much I'm looking for any excuse to be on it!!) the lesser Tiagra model would be good, probably find one for $1500ish maybe?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/defy.advanced.3/18930/76627/

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I'm commuting on my Giant Defy Advancd Pro 2 currently. I have a few shitty sections on my commute but it sucks it up fine.

Damn comfortable frame. Disc brakes are awesome - I totally agree that rim brakes are to be avoided, but you dont need to go CX to get them ;-)

I also fitted 28mm tubeless road tyres (Schwalbe One, 80 bucks a pair from Bike24) and they are lovely... Smooth and fast.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/defy.advanced.pro.2/18931/77132/

This is the lower model of the middle frame of the 3 grades of carbon Defy frames. There are plenty to choose from for your budget!

I reckon for a commuter hack (mine is meant to be a bit more than that, but I love riding it so much I'm looking for any excuse to be on it!!) the lesser Tiagra model would be good, probably find one for $1500ish maybe?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/defy.advanced.3/18930/76627/
or for the same money, you can get an Alloy TCR 2 with 105 11spd. from all reports the 5800 series is the shiz, not to mention you can fit some nice fat 32-35mm slicks on the TCX and it will ride like it's on clouds.

i've got 28mm slicks on my TCX and i prefer my 33mm CX tyres, they soak up the bumps so much nicer. now i'm just trying to hunt down some ~32mm slicks for when the 28's die.

although now i've written that and realised who the OP is.. i'm pretty sure they have just ordered a Focus Mares?

a.brasington

Likes Bikes
or for the same money, you can get an Alloy TCR 2 with 105 11spd. from all reports the 5800 series is the shiz, not to mention you can fit some nice fat 32-35mm slicks on the TCX and it will ride like it's on clouds.

i've got 28mm slicks on my TCX and i prefer my 33mm CX tyres, they soak up the bumps so much nicer. now i'm just trying to hunt down some ~32mm slicks for when the 28's die.

although now i've written that and realised who the OP is.. i'm pretty sure they have just ordered a Focus Mares?
Stalker!

Yup I got my mitts on the last medium Mares CX 2.0 in the country. Super chuffed.

I have some 700x33 Challenge Chicane tires on the way, something a little more suitable for commuting. I'll see how they go. If they aren't fast enough on the road for my tastes, I'll go something a little slicker like The Raven.