[XC] Pivot 429 Carbon

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Picked this up this afternoon. The boys at For The Riders put in the effort to get it done before I left for holidays, which I am greatly appreciative of.

Frame - Pivot 429 Carbon, Medium.
Rear shock - Fox Float CTD
Front shock/fork - Fox Float 29 FIT CTD 32
Handlebars - FSA SLK Carbon 700mm
Stem - FSA SLK Alloy/Carbon face 100mm
Headset - Pivot branded
Grips - Pivot branded
Saddle - WTB Pivot branded
Seatpost - FSA SLK Carbon
Seat Clamp - Pivot branded
Front brake - Shimano 180mm Deore XT Ice Tech
Rear brake - Shimano 160 mm Deore XT Ice Tech
Cranks - Shimano Deore XT 38-24
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - Shimano JC VIA
Pedals - Shimano Deore XT
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
Rear derailleur - Shimano XTR Shadow Plus
Front shifter - Shimano Deore XT
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore XT
Cassette - Shimano Deore XT CS-M771-10, 11 to 36 teeth
Front hub - Stans 3.30
Rear hub - Stans 3.30
Front rim - Stans Notubes ZTR Arch Ex 29er
Rear rim - Stans Notubes ZTR Arch Ex 29er
Spokes - ?
Nipples - ?
Tyres - Kenda Slant Six 29 x 2.2
Tubes - ?
Total weight - 12.61kg inc pedals.

Current build:

Frame - Pivot 429 Carbon, Medium.
Rear shock - Fox Float CTD
Front shock/fork - Fox Float 29 FIT CTD 32
Handlebars - Truativ Stylo T-40 650mm
Stem - Specialized Comp Multistem 12 degree 90mm, set at -16 degrees
Headset - Pivot branded
Grips - ESI Racers Edge foam grips
Saddle - WTB Pivot branded
Seatpost - FSA SLK Carbon
Seatclamp - Salsa Liplock
Front brake - Shimano 180mm Deore XT Ice Tech
Rear brake - Shimano 160 mm Deore XT Ice Tech
Cranks - Shimano Deore XT 38-24
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - Shimano JC VIA
Pedals - Shimano Deore XT
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
Rear derailleur - Shimano XTR Shadow Plus
Front shifter - Shimano Deore XT
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore XT
Cassette - Shimano Deore XT CS-M771-10, 11 to 36 teeth
Front hub - Stans 3.30
Rear hub - Stans 3.30
Front rim - Stans Notubes ZTR Arch Ex 29er
Rear rim - Stans Notubes ZTR Arch Ex 29er
Spokes - ?
Nipples - ?
Tyres - Front: Maxxis Ikon 3C Maxx Speed EXO 29 x 2.35, Rear: Maxxis Ikon 3C Maxx Speed EXO TR 29 x 2.20
Tubes - Stans No tubes kit
Bottle Cage -1 x King Stainless Steel
Total weight - 12.43kg inc pedals.

Last edited:

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Took it out at Gap Creek this morning. Found it a little loose and sketchy in the front end. Dropped the pressure in the front tire, which helped a little, but still not enough weight over the front tire.

Stem is now sitting on the head set, so a ~ 20mm drop down the steerer. Will see how it pans out in tomorrows ride at Daisy Hill. The current stem is 100mm@6 degrees. If needed I can switch in a 90mm@12 degree Specialized stem I have lying around. If needed I can even shim that to 16 degree of drop.

Stuck two bottle cages on it. On the inside of the frame the normal sized bottle rubs the carbon of the down tube. And on the underside cage, the bottle interferes with the front tire when the shock compresses. So small sized bottles are needed all round.

Switched out the no name blue seat post clamp for a Pro Post Quick Realease clamp, so getting the bike in and out of the car is easier when travelling between bike tracks.

Chris Park

Likes Dirt
Bottle Rub

Very very nice ;-)

Was thinking flipping the rear shock like on my Mach 4 would sort that but then re read and I can see how its rubbing on the frame cause of the angle and not the shock like on my mach 4 so that kills my idea.

Took me a few weeks to get mine dialled in properly so persevere.

Chris

Last edited:

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy crap Geoff! I'm contemplating a 29er as well. Trying to work out if I want to build my Pitch up with new stuff for the 3rd time or just start fresh with a new bike....probably going with the latter when I think about it. Santa Cruz Tallboy LT or Transition Bandit 29er.

Got a bunch of leave in the first half of next year, thinking I'll have to come up for some brewing and riding again.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Was thinking flipping the rear shock like on my Mach 4 would sort that but then re read and I can see how its rubbing on the frame cause of the angle and not the shock like on my mach 4 so that kills my idea.
In Goulburn heading south for Christmas and picked up a couple of medium sized bottles, so have that issue sorted now.

Holy crap Geoff! I'm contemplating a 29er as well. Trying to work out if I want to build my Pitch up with new stuff for the 3rd time or just start fresh with a new bike....probably going with the latter when I think about it. Santa Cruz Tallboy LT or Transition Bandit 29er.

Got a bunch of leave in the first half of next year, thinking I'll have to come up for some brewing and riding again.
Hey cuz, might see you next week.

Grab a Santa Cruz LTc. The boys a FTR almost convinced me to get one...almost.

Happy to have you up in the new year, plenty of trails to take you on, so long as you bring a bike this time ;)

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Prior to todays changes the bike looked like this:

Dropped stem and replaced with a Specialized Comp Multistem 12 degree 90mm long with a shim to give it a -16 degree drop. Also King stainless bottle cages had been added, but can only use small bottles in the inner frame cage. Also the black QR seat clamp is on there.

Today I swapped out the rear tire for a Schwalbe Racing Ralph and changed the handlebars to a 650mm wide Truativ Stylo T-40 alloy one.

Will give it a run round Bunya tomorrow morning and then I'll be converting it to tubeless.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Sweet bike. I say get rid of that bottle cage on the underside of the tube. Ruins the nice lines, IMHO. Who wants to drink from a bottle encrusted in mud and filth from the front tyre anyway.

ChopSticks

Banned
Awesome bike!!! Sooo so bloody fast standing still!

+1 for removing the bottom bottle cage and Also reckon you should chop down your steerer tube.... Seems like a good place to get impaled in the even of OTH

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Had the shock flipped around and some washers stuck under the bottle cage so I can now fit a big bottle in the main triangle. Thanks to FTR for that. :clap2:

Will chuck up a pic if I can get a slot in between all this rain.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
This is the 31.8 which looks short and stubby ... but the 34.9mm is much sleeker but I couldn't find a red

Loaded xlite bolt up ... FTR deals with us so you can special order through them if you likey. QR version as well

I'd recommend these as well, but they are for dual ring (middle/big) and would need a spacer ... which annoys me

Loaded are hex bolts front and back ... can't remember what the rear bolt on the csixx is for the life of me ... bah

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Tweaked the current build list.

It's tubeless using a Stans kit (rims already had the tape in place - just needed valves), has a red Salsa Liplock seat clamp (thanks for those with offers and suggestions) and the bottom bottle cage was removed.

Looking at some ESI chunky grips. Wheel update will be on hold for a while. Still need to pick up my commuter.

rone

Eats Squid
At first glance the headtube of these always looks like someone has installed an angleset the wrong way round.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Have dropped the bike off for a service and specifically asked for the Forks to be fixed by Fox.

The C of the CTD Float doesn't lock out at all, so it's off to Fox under warranty to see what they can do. Could be nothing, could be a new inner damper system, will find out in a couple of weeks when it returns.