XC Tyres

Aman

Likes Bikes
See my problem is that people recomend to me these WTD Velo's for gravel because they seem like good tyre but personally I think there absolute crap.

I go riding in clay and they pick up everything, and on gravel they seem OK. But them I put on my old per of Hutchi Moskitos (there almost totaly gone) and the grip almost as good as the WTB's.

So whats with that, they have heeps less rolling resistance and the tread is minimal yet the grip. I examined the two tyres and I think I hnow what the problem is. For started thr Hutchi's are softer compound and the knobs have been spaced wider so if one part of the tyre goes over a rock at dosen't seem to pull the rest of the knobs in with it, and lastly each knobe has a slit in it to make it even softer over hard terian.

Now this is my theory, but I need to know if anyone can tell me the truth behind this. Why is a tyre with keeps less tread griping just as good.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not sure on this, but resident experts will be here mometarily.
the hutchies have a much softer compound, which grips really well just because it is so soft. they also use a tread pattern that is excellent for XCwork. the size and placement of the tread also means it wears quickly. the compound also means that they are prone to tearing chunks out of themselves under heavy braking, and getting sliced on rocks (at least mine were). depending on your ride style, reember that a lot of the DH tyres are compromise between soft compund for grip, and tough enough to last a run. if you are doing freeride type stuff, your choice will be differant from the XCwhippets tyre.
ask around and you'll get a lot of differant answers as to what people like based on what they do, and how much money they can spend.