XC Tyres

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up a few of Hutchinson's new offerings last night.

Cobra 2.1 Tubeless Ready - claimed 520 grams - real 486 and 505 grams.
Cougar 2.2 Tubeless Light - claimed ? not on website - real 700 grams.
Cougar 2.2 Hardskin Tubeless - claimed ? not on website - real 806 grams.

The Cougar is a new tread that isn't on Hutchinsons website yet. It is quite meaty. They aired up WITHOUT sealant with a track pump on Notubes ZTR355 rims. The Cobra is also relatively new and looks FAST. I'm very impressed by the weights for something with a UST bead. They require sealant to seal so I haven't used them yet. Waiting on some new Easton Haven Carbon wheels for them to go on.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Was ordering spokes last night from starbike in Germany and noticed they had some good prices on Race King supersonics in 2.2 and also Race X-King 2.4 Racesports. About 32euro's each less 19% vat. At the current exchange rate works out about AUS$35 a tyre. Only bummer is 29euro shipping, but seeing as though I was already ordering some other stuff, the added tyres were a good deal.

The Race King 2.2 Supersonic rear / Race X-King 2.4 front is a great combo. Haven't managed to find any Race X-King 2.4 supersonics yet, but the Racesports are still pretty light.

drasnian

Likes Dirt
Conti RK racesport 2.2"

Just ordered a pair of Race King racesport 2.2" from bike24. Hoping they'll be as stupidly fast and grippy as the 2.2" supersonic I had a couple of years ago, and not need much sealant to justify the slight weight increase to 500g.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Was ordering spokes last night from starbike in Germany and noticed they had some good prices on Race King supersonics in 2.2 and also Race X-King 2.4 Racesports. About 32euro's each less 19% vat. At the current exchange rate works out about AUS$35 a tyre. Only bummer is 29euro shipping, but seeing as though I was already ordering some other stuff, the added tyres were a good deal.

The Race King 2.2 Supersonic rear / Race X-King 2.4 front is a great combo. Haven't managed to find any Race X-King 2.4 supersonics yet, but the Racesports are still pretty light.
I have a couple of x king 2.4 that are meant to be super sonics. They are not marked as such but weigh in at 540 grams so I believe they may be pre productions. Continental don't seem to list x king super sonics in 2.2 or 2.4 only 2.0 at about 400 grams from memory. The race sport range only seems to add a few grams over the super sonics though. So a 2.2 or 2.4 race sport would still be quite lite.
Has anyone used Conti's mud king 1.8? After the bog fest otway odyssey I think I'll get a set for that rainy day.

Science

Likes Dirt
After running CrossMarks 2.1 front and rear and having one too many scares on downhill cross rutted braking sections on skaty fire trails, i've gone to a set of Maxxis Ignighters in a 2.1.
so far, these have cured my 'ohcrapi'mgoingtodie' moments, at the trade off of a little more noise on tarmac, and a little less speed. but with higher pressures (40+ psi) they roll fast enough for me, and at lower pressure grip like an ape.

WCW

Squid
Okay, so last nigt was first night of riding with new tyres. Set up is 2011 Anthem with stans olympic rims (tubeless with stans sealant), with 2.4 Conti X-King Racesport front and 2.2 maxxis Ikon rear. Test track is eagle mountain bike park in adelaide.
Both tyres aired up first time easily with a small compressor; the ikon held air without any sealant. Left them over night to seal the bead, but after 4 hours the ikon went pop and splattered sealant everywhere. I thought i may have mounted it wrong and tried again and it held up.

Size wise - 2.4 X-king has a tread pattern 3-4mm wider than a raceking, but volume is huge. Its one big but light bag. Ikon is similar in size to a 2.2 RaceingRalph.

Rolling - (i tried each tyre individually with a slick tyre) X-king is maybe a tad slower than the Racing Ralph it replaced, but not really noticable. Ikon is atad slower than the maxxis Aspen it replaced, but again only just. For full nob tyres the roll really well.

Riding - X-king is freakin awesome. Loads more grip in the corners than the racing ralph, i can lean it into loose corners like its a Nobby Nic but rolls way faster. And the voulume is amazing, its got heaps of cushion. Even felt like it made the Anthem less twitchy. I got a small 2mm cut from a rock on the tread and it sealed up okay after 20 sec of spurting.
Ikon; not so good. To start with i was loving it. It does have plenty of grip and brakes a lot better than the Aspen, with way less skipping around. Corners nicely too, slides a lot less on loose stuff than the Aspen, maybe even slightlyt better than a Raceking. But after 30min i got the old Stans Rims curse of tyres popping off the rim.

So anyone running Stans rims out there DONT USE THE MAXXIS IKON! But i would strongly recommend the X-King. I'll try the ikon on some normal UST wheels and see how it goes with them. Fingers crossed
Are you using UST tires on the Stans Rims??

I've had non UST Racing Ralf come off STANS rim but switched to UST and haven't had a problem since.

I was running Nobby Nic 2.25 front & RR 2.1 rear. I like the confidence of NN out front.

Also like Maxxis High Roller for DH; anyone run them for XC?

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Just ordered a pair of Race King racesport 2.2" from bike24. Hoping they'll be as stupidly fast and grippy as the 2.2" supersonic I had a couple of years ago, and not need much sealant to justify the slight weight increase to 500g.
I want the 2.0 race sport race king, 450grams and stronger than supersonic! I have been using the race sport X-king and they have been no probs at all. Im actually loving the x-king front, race king rear or maybe its just the handling of the new hardtail :)

Ivan

Eats Squid
Hi all, looking for some suggestions please.

I currently have a Conty MK 2.4 (UST) on the front, and a Maxxis Larsen 2.1 (LUST) on the back. I will be entering my first XC race in 3 weeks, and am looking to replace the MK with something that has a bit less rolling resistance (and weight would be nice too!).

So, what are your suggestions for a front tyre, minimum 2.1", preferably UST compatible, and under 700g.

My local terrain is dry dusty, sandy, rocky loose over hardpack.

Price isn't an issue, as I will source OS for the expensive brands.

drasnian

Likes Dirt
I want the 2.0 race sport race king, 450grams and stronger than supersonic! I have been using the race sport X-king and they have been no probs at all. Im actually loving the x-king front, race king rear or maybe its just the handling of the new hardtail :)
What about the added plushness of the big 2.2 RK?

Must admit though, 450g for the 2.0 would be nice to have in the back of your mind as you tackle a climb. But didn't people say that the 2.0 RK supersonic just didn't feel nice (whereas the 2.2 was unbelieveable)? Now i'm having second thoughts about ordering the 2.2 :confused:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rocket Ron 2.25. Rolls better and handles the wet. Love 'em.

I currently have a Conty MK 2.4 (UST) on the front, and a Maxxis Larsen 2.1 (LUST) on the back. I will be entering my first XC race in 3 weeks, and am looking to replace the MK with something that has a bit less rolling resistance (and weight would be nice too!).

So, what are your suggestions for a front tyre, minimum 2.1", preferably UST compatible, and under 700g.

drasnian

Likes Dirt
What about the added plushness of the big 2.2 RK?

Must admit though, 450g for the 2.0 would be nice to have in the back of your mind as you tackle a climb. But didn't people say that the 2.0 RK supersonic just didn't feel nice (whereas the 2.2 was unbelieveable)? Now i'm having second thoughts about ordering the 2.2 :confused:
Then again, 500g + 50mL of Stan's isn't a heavy setup, particularly given its lightning fast tread and good grip. Also, the RK 2.2 bag would allow faster riding on all terrain where you aren't at full power (i.e. anything slightly rough or more).

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

Check out x king race sport, available in both 2.2 and 2.4.
It has a ust bead and can be used tubeless. The sidewalls are not as tough as a full ust but obviously lighter. They would be lighter and faster than the MK.

Science

Likes Dirt
:/
i seem to be suffering from many thorns with my ignighters at the minute. running Schwable tubes. anything i can do to make them more resistant without getting heavy thorn resistant tubes?