XC Tyres

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Have you ridden with it, or just waiting for it to seal first? I always find that they never fully seal until the first 2 or 3 km's of riding (keep it to light XC for this myself). Only caveat to this is if they're leaking because the rim strip isn't up to scratch and it's leaking through spoke holes/around the stem. best solution in that case is to redo the rimstrip. second is to add more sealant and make sure you rock the wheel around and well coat the rim to get the sealant to work there (though it makes a mess, particularly when you end up with sealant in the rim cavity and coming out the spoke holes).
the rim tape was already installed by Giant, it is blue and has like a hatch reinforcing pattern on it. The bike did also come with like this 3M blue tape that is different to the one that is already installed.

when I was looking at the bead of the tyre, about every 5cm along it has tyre nipples sticking out, should I just snip them off? they might be hindering the sealing process

doosh

Likes Bikes
My Felt hardtail has been getting used more for commuting than MTB lately, so I’m looking at getting some less-knobby tyres for improved rolling resistance and less noise. The commute is road or bike path the whole way, but a fair few kerbs get hopped. I’m a biggish boy (~100kg) and I don’t want to be fixing flats all the time so I’m looking at something a bit heavier and durable. I’m not running tubeless.

I’ve been looking at the Schwalbe Big Apples and Maxxis Hookworms in a 2.1”. The Hookworms weigh a ton and I’m worried about clearance. Has anyone had experience with either of these, or are there others I should be considering?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
the rim tape was already installed by Giant, it is blue and has like a hatch reinforcing pattern on it. The bike did also come with like this 3M blue tape that is different to the one that is already installed.

when I was looking at the bead of the tyre, about every 5cm along it has tyre nipples sticking out, should I just snip them off? they might be hindering the sealing process
That sounds like normal rim tape by your description. Goto bunnings, and buy a roll of gaffer tape - it's the tough tape that is tearable and waterproof. Look for guides on ghetto tubeless.

Very few bikes come tubeless and ready to go - it's an opportunity for bike shops to hit their customers for another 100 bucks..... ;)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
My Felt hardtail has been getting used more for commuting than MTB lately, so I’m looking at getting some less-knobby tyres for improved rolling resistance and less noise. The commute is road or bike path the whole way, but a fair few kerbs get hopped. I’m a biggish boy (~100kg) and I don’t want to be fixing flats all the time so I’m looking at something a bit heavier and durable. I’m not running tubeless.

I’ve been looking at the Schwalbe Big Apples and Maxxis Hookworms in a 2.1”. The Hookworms weigh a ton and I’m worried about clearance. Has anyone had experience with either of these, or are there others I should be considering?
I just hooked up a pair of Maxxis Wormdrive tyres from Pushy's in 700x42 (or 29x1.6-ish if you prefer!) for the commuter - less than $25 for the pair. Works very nicely on the paths and tar. Managed a 27 km/h average this morning on a 30 km run in to work running the 44t front ring that I installed as a bash guard!

If you are looking at anything bigger than 29x1.75 for a 29er commuter then you are probably doing it wrong...or too hard.

Blakey

Squid
Looking at getting some Ardent Race's (F) and Ikon's (R) on my Anthem (27.5). Any thoughts? Anyone tried the new Ardent Race's?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rookie

Likes Dirt
Looking at getting some Ardent Race's (F) and Ikon's (R) on my Anthem (27.5). Any thoughts? Anyone tried the new Ardent Race's?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Excellent combination. I was running Ikons front and rear and like the Crossmarks they wiggle on the side knobs when pushed hard. The Ardents have much sturdier side knobs and give lots of confidence. They are still a fast tyre despite the better grip too. WIN WIN. I have found my "go to" setup.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
yeah they do move a bit , Iv'e put a little bit more air in them to try and stop that, apart from that they're a good tyre

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Ive been running Panaracer for 12 months now and they are fantastic. Both front and rear they hang on in just about ever condition. The price is right. Ive got over 2500 k's on them and I love them. Im going to a 29er soon and I hope the Panaracers come in a 29. This tyre is a genuine great value for money work horse and you should try them.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I just hooked up a pair of Maxxis Wormdrive tyres from Pushy's in 700x42 (or 29x1.6-ish if you prefer!) for the commuter - less than $25 for the pair. Works very nicely on the paths and tar. Managed a 27 km/h average this morning on a 30 km run in to work running the 44t front ring that I installed as a bash guard!

If you are looking at anything bigger than 29x1.75 for a 29er commuter then you are probably doing it wrong...or too hard.
Be careful with the Wormdrives, I got about 5-10 punctures from tiny bits of glass over the year or so I used them with my old bike.

Awesome rolling tyre though. :)

Now I just stick with my Nobby Nic and put up with the noise and drag on the road... At least I can ride over almost anything without fear of punctures. :p

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Geax tyres

For 29ers I can recommend Geax AKA tyres- half the price of Maxxis ICONS- and while a little heavier I think they are firmer in the corners, just as fast and wear better/ last longer. Run them front and rear or stick a Saguaro up front for more bite. For 26ers they do a Mescal which punches above it weight and is so quick.

dont get how Maxxis are charging Schwalbe prices- over a $100 bucks for a Icon TR is nuts.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Ive been running Panaracer for 12 months now and they are fantastic. Both front and rear they hang on in just about ever condition. The price is right. Ive got over 2500 k's on them and I love them. Im going to a 29er soon and I hope the Panaracers come in a 29. This tyre is a genuine great value for money work horse and you should try them.
Yes they are a fantastic all rounder...the only place they suffer a bit is rolling resistance, compared to say Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. They are fantastic in sand. Not bad at all for a cheap tyre.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
For 29ers I can recommend Geax AKA tyres- half the price of Maxxis ICONS- and while a little heavier I think they are firmer in the corners, just as fast and wear better/ last longer. Run them front and rear or stick a Saguaro up front for more bite. For 26ers they do a Mescal which punches above it weight and is so quick.

dont get how Maxxis are charging Schwalbe prices- over a $100 bucks for a Icon TR is nuts.
Check out Pushy's. Can get the ikons TR for $50.

Bodin

GMBC
Yes they are a fantastic all rounder...the only place they suffer a bit is rolling resistance, compared to say Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. They are fantastic in sand. Not bad at all for a cheap tyre.
+1

I used the UST version of these for a while about 8 years ago as my "burly" XC tyre. I remember the grip and durability, but also remember getting the life scared out of me when there was even the lightest touch of moisture on rock.

Aside from that, awesome tyre.

poita

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd better add my experience to the list. Run on a 26" HT, tubeless. Ridden mostly in Canberra, but a few other places too.

Had Rubena Kratos (F) and Scylla (R) rear for a while now. I tried the Kratos both directions and couldn't really get it hooking in everywhere, but it's pretty predictable and does bite in on the edge eventually. Scylla on the rear is quick and a bit loose, but controllable. Still hooks up OK uphill considering.

No burping or flats on the tubeless, I never run super super low pressure though. I will say that the Rubena sealant is shit though. Do yourself a favour and use another brand.

Had tubed Hutchinson Toro's before these which I really liked, probably more than these, but got the Rubenas cheap and tubeless ready.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Replaced the Racing Ralph with a Spec Fast Trak on the rear..

InstagramCapture_81cc31b6-2e0f-4708-a3cd-155d638fa768.jpg

Only 1 ride so far but its true to its word..fast..

Tubeless no worries. Easy..

LJG

Likes Bikes
Tyre: Kenda Slant Six 2.1
Strength: Good in mud or loose stuff
Weakness: Slip easier on off camber tracks, wear quite fast, noisy on hardpack, quite a bit of rolling resistance
Weight: Don't know
Bottom line: Would not buy them again for the riding I do, which is cross country forest type stuff

Tyre: Maxxis Crossmark 2.1
Strength: Roll really fast, corner quite good in loose or hardpack, very quiet on hardpack
Weakness: Flick little stones at your frame, absolutely crap in the mud and don't clear easily, going fast downhill on loose gravel roads they get a bit iffy and it is hard to keep a dead straight line - they don't give you the confidence to go flat out on long hills with loose gravel as they tend to "tramtrack", I found they punctured easier.
Bottom line: These are a good tyre for dry hardpack or riding around your local streets

Tyre: Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 2.25 (tubeless)
Strength: Great grip, roll really fast (surprisingly I reckon just as fast as the Crossmarks) light weight with slightly wider footprint, OK in mud, good cornering, fast downhill on gravel and they run straight and true. I find myself going a lot faster with more confidence than I did on the Maxxis Crossmarks, can run lower pressures with tubeless
Weakness: Have not found any yet
Bottom line: These have been my favourite tyre yet

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Which tyre

Any recommendations for a kona 29er? I stacked a fair few times with the tyres that came with it maxis ikon 2.2. All of the times it was on loose fine dirt on corner entry (leaning in too much/too early?).

I used to have race kings on my hardtail and even though the tread was less agressive than the ikon, I swear it had more grip.

Is there a subtle difference in cornering style with hard tail vs dually or tyre change recommended?

*Edit: both bikes are 100 fork, kona is 100 rear travel.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Icons aren't the grippiest tyres around for sand over hard - most people run a softer and bigger nobbled tyre on the front, and keep the fast rolling tyre on the rear. So maxxis ardent or schwalbe nobby nic - any of the tyres recomended for front duty in this thread, but it's often not a bad idea to look at what riders use in your area