XT Di2 Discussion Thread

2x making a comeback

With the introduction to XT Di2, does this mean 2x setup might make a comeback? Especially with synchro option.

Minlak

custom titis
With the introduction to XT Di2, does this mean 2x setup might make a comeback? Especially with synchro option.
People that like 1x will stay 1x and the people that like 2x will get a sweet upgrade. I desperately want XT Di2 but freely admit to get the best out of it a 2 or 3x setup is prime. It will still be a fit for purpose proposition I think. It's nice to have the options that front rings give.

Minlak

custom titis
Even though it is a "September" release I assume it will be like the XT 8000 release and no reliable stocks until January 2017. I have been putting a lot of thought into it and I am very attracted to the electronic side of it but in reality I probably wont buy it now. I am starting to realise and think along the lines that to make the most out of it you really do need multiple front chainrings. My latest bikes cant even mount a front derailleur currently. I do change bikes more often that Moorey mentions he is a Vegan but still a lot of current models are very similar to this. By the time you buy batteries / controllers / display / wires / rear derailleur it would make it expensive.

Minlak

custom titis
I have found XT branded batteries for sale but not even seeing any listings for the drive train stuff. Anyone seen or heard anything on release's?

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"What if the battery goes flat?" That argument is useless.

Road Di2 systems can go for thousands of KM's and months without a charge. Battery life is awesome.
Imagine if electronic shifting existed before cables...

"look at those ugly cables, what if they snap on a ride or get caught on branches and pull you off the bike! No thanks, I'll stay with my simple electronic shift any day...!"

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I have found XT branded batteries for sale but not even seeing any listings for the drive train stuff.
Which is weird, and silly, because the batteries are shared with ALL Di2 systems, so don't have any model badging. Yes there are some new versions introduced in conjunction with XT & new Dura-Ace, but they're just as much Ultegra, XTR and Alfine.

Minlak

custom titis
I can find some parts but not all. Found Rear Derailleurs but not shifters but can buy display panels etc.

So since we are asking about parts can anybody actually list what parts I need to but to make it work?

Shifter
Derailleur
Battery
Display panel

Is that it or do I need cables and controller boxes I get so confused trying to find out.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In addition to the above, you will need cables of appropriate length to run from the shifter to the display/upper junction box (some shifters have a hard-wired cable, but I think they're only the time trial/triathlon shifters), from the display/upper junction down to the secondary junction box (JC40 for external fitting, JC41 for internal), and from the lower junction to battery and another to derailleur.
Plus you will need a charger apropriate to the type of battery used; BCR1 is for the old-type detachable external battery, BCR2 is for the integrated (usually internally-mounted) battery, and connected to the system via a USB port on the upper junction.

Last edited: