XT Di2 plans, advice needed.

chino79

Likes Dirt
I have collected most of the 1 x 11 XT Di2 setup. I have a few bits on the way.

My plan is to only run 3 cables. 1 rear derailleur to display, 2 display to shifter and display to battery. Will this work? Cant find any info on if I must have a junction. Has anyone tried this?
Also want to run the Pro Tharsis Di2 bars and stem for a cleaner install. Are there any other alternatives for the clean look?

Cheers

sossy

Saucier
Biggest issue will be if the 1400mm cable is long enough to get from the junction to the rear mech.

chino79

Likes Dirt
Biggest issue will be if the 1400mm cable is long enough to get from the junction to the rear mech.
Just checked my measurements and I am good with the 1400. Not a huge amount to spare but it will work. So am I right in thinking that I don't need the junction?

sossy

Saucier
You will be right. just be careful of the length, best to allow some slack, if a duallie there will be some movement, and also if there's a crash, you don't want to be ripping cables out, the ports can be damaged.

The other consideration is cable routing and getting one single length of cable the whole way through.

tunsis

Likes Bikes
another potential issue is the bar width - the Tharsis bars with integrated cabling seem to max out at 740mm. Not quite enough for me.

Would be great to know if anybody can suggest an alternative?

sossy

Saucier
another potential issue is the bar width - the Tharsis bars with integrated cabling seem to max out at 740mm. Not quite enough for me.

Would be great to know if anybody can suggest an alternative?
There is the PRO Tharsis Trail, that is Di2 compatible at 800mm

chino79

Likes Dirt
Yeah going for the 800mm ones. Will get it up and running first. Then if I can get a decent deal on the bars and stem I will get them. I have found no alternatives for MTB. Thought Thomson or someone would have something by now. Wish I could get a steerer tube with a hole it it. I heard English Cycles made on on his custom forkes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The setup you're proposing will work fine, on the proviso the cable to the RD is long enough. I'm assuming by the setup description that you're planning the battery-stuffed-up-the-steerer mounting rather than in/on the frame somewhere.

A lower junction (JC40 external or JC41 internal) is only necessary as a splitter/collector when a front derailleur and/or centrally-located battery is used, but may be needed as a joiner if a single cable isn't long enough to reach from the primary junction/display box to the rear derailleur.

chino79

Likes Dirt
Yep battery in the steerer. Thanks for that did not want a junction unless it is needed. Frame is a large alloy sb95. Fairly direct routing so 1400 should be enough. My measurements are assuming that the cable doesn't extend that much further back than the normal cable.