XT or SLX crankset

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
After some advice about the advantages of a XT crankset over SLX, cost isn't an issue however if the cheaper one is as good then I can buy other stuff.
For example:
Is the XT crankset significantly lighter? ie more than 100g's
Does the XT bb have better bearings?
Any chainring issues, can you fit any Shimano chainring onto either crankset?

Look forward to your replies.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SLX is under 40g heavier than XT over the whole crankset and BB. Basically no difference in it. There's a tiny difference in the crankarm weight but most of it comes from the inner and outer chainrings.
Also, I may be wrong but I think both groups share the XT BB.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently chose SLX over XT - due to the style. Just liked the design of SLX better, given there was next to no difference in weight, and SLX had a rep for being stiffer, that also swayed me.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just bought SLX, And am happy with it - I believe the Double has steel pedal inserts, And the Triple doesn't... I could go check, but it's too cold to walk outside to the shed :02.47-tranquillity:

frensham

Likes Dirt
I'm talking 9 speed here but I would assume similar for 10 speed:

XT & SLX use same Bottom Bracket (it's not the best BB though). SLX is 40 g heavier but stiffer overall.

As has been mentioned already, I too prefer the styling of SLX to XT and wasn't swayed by an extra 40g to spend more than I needed to.

muvro

Likes Dirt
SLX chainrings won't fit onto a XT crank without mods. Just needs a bit of the plastic filed back iirc. Also, SLX has steel middle ring, so better for wear over the XT ally one.