XT or XTR derailleur?

Bodin

GMBC
the differences between x7 and xx arnt that drastic
They are for pro racers, who can put between 500 and 900 watts of power through a drivetrain. Mere mortals like us typically can't create the sort of twisting/torqueing stress on gear that separates the expensive, high-end stuff from the rest.

Having said that, even I can tell the performance difference between XTR and XT shifters...

Pro riders don't ride the best gear because it's expensive. They ride expensive gear because it's the best.

AngoXC said:
Close but the other way round. SRAM operate off a 1:1 ratio so for every one "unit" of cable that gets released or pulled, your derailleur moves the same amount (so less cable movement than Shimano).
I have a suspicion that Zoom's actually right - if it moved less cable, it would be relatively less tolerant (0.1mm is 10% of 1mm, but it's only 5% of 2mm), so what you're saying doesn't mathematically make sense.

STS01

Likes Dirt
If the thought of a few extra grams doesn't bother you too much there is another alternative which (after having, XT, XT shadow, XTR) I think is ideal- XTR shifters with a mid cage Saint RD. Get the chain length right and this is the quietest, best shifting setup you'll ever try. The high spring rate of the Saint RD makes the shifts nice and positive rather than the slightly vague feel they have with XT or XTR RD's

Not very XC cool but it works like a charm

S.

ex offender
Pro riders don't ride the best gear because it's expensive. They ride expensive gear because it's the best.

I have a suspicion that Zoom's actually right - if it moved less cable, it would be relatively less tolerant (0.1mm is 10% of 1mm, but it's only 5% of 2mm), so what you're saying doesn't mathematically make sense.
Or because they get paid for it :)

You are right - SRAM shifters pull more cable than Shimano ones, and that's why they are less finnicky to set up and less susceptible to getting messed up by mud/dirt in the cables.