XT vs guide RS

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Updating a bike , new bike has a better alround spec ,

Only point of contention being the brakes , older bike has Deore XT ( one year old ) new bike has sram guide RS ( I’ve never owned a bike with them )

My bike mechanic said ( not from the shop selling the bike ) Swap them over , keep the XT s sell the old bike with the sram , he isn’t a fan of sram brakes ,

my last 4 bikes have all had XT , and I’ve been happy with them , never owned guides , so don’t have an opinion on them , but just curious if this sounds like good advice?

Cheers

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eh, Guides are a good brake. I've used Shimano, SRAM and Hope. They've sorted their sticky lever issue out so it should be a pretty trouble free relationship. Bleeding them is definitely more of a pain than the other two though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I want to love the Guides. I don't like the on-off behaviour of XT.

What is reliable and idiot proof like Shimano, but modulaty like Guide?

* off to bleed Guides again, dicking around with the double syringe caper and wonder what magic blend of pads and voodoo will make them ever stop with any conviction....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
As Link says; if you're used to the XT's then keep something familiar on your new bike but don't write the SRAM's off. I'm known to be a SRAM fan boy but thats because I've tried everything else and they still shit on everything I've used.
The Guide's are awesome brakes. They had a problem with the piston sticking but that's almost gone now and not prevalent on new bikes. Out of the box and without a good bleed, they can feel lifeless at times but a good bleed from someone who knows how to do it makes them totally awesome and so reliable. Try them I say, get a good lever feel and see what you think.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Shitmano have excellent reliability and rarely need more than a set of pads and an "occasional" bleed.
SRAM have had their issues (that have been resolved for the most), but will require more regular bleeding to keep them tip top (I do mine twice a year, takes 5 mins to do both ends)

Shitmano have the least amount of feel and modulation of any brake I have ever used. Some people love it...some hate it. I'm in the hate camp. Heaps of power, but its either on or off. They have been trying different lever cams to try and get a nicer lever feel of late (more SRAM like?!)....

SRAM are a lot more linear feeling, with nice feedback and modulation. You can feed on the power gradually and still have heaps of stopping power.

There's also the integration of shifters and dropper levers to think about..... If you're running Sram integrated clamps you will need bar clamps if you go to Shitmano.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

* off to bleed Guides again, dicking around with the double syringe caper and wonder what magic blend of pads and voodoo will make them ever stop with any conviction....
Hope

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Formula Cura.

I haven't had to bleed them yet but they use mineral oil and modulation and power are excellent. They even have a 4 piston caliper available if you want.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I gotta tell ya, I've been playing with a new set of Hope E4's for a few months now and I ain't that fussed. Good brakes, nice feel but they are between a useless Shimano brake and a good SRAM / Avid brake to me. I'm gonna chuck some metal sintered pads at them to hopefully remove some fade but so far.............Codes and Guides kick them in the nuts and run off giggling.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I gotta tell ya, I've been playing with a new set of Hope E4's for a few months now and I ain't that fussed. Good brakes, nice feel but they are between a useless Shimano brake and a good SRAM / Avid brake to me. I'm gonna chuck some metal sintered pads at them to hopefully remove some fade but so far.............Codes and Guides kick them in the nuts and run off giggling.
Compare the codes to V4, not E4. A DH brake should destroy a trail brake. I’d feel bad for scam if they didn’t haha.

Brakes are like arseholes..... everyones got atleast one and yours are mankyer than mine ahaha.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I wouldn't consider XT as on/off.

Just get Saint and be done with it!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
They need sintered pads. As do Guides. Makes a huge difference.
I'm a Hope fanboi, but I seriously considered Guides/Codes for my new build. I went Hopes.