yari damper upgrades

smegoal

Squid
Hi

I have been looking at upgrading the damper in my yari (norco sight). There is one track which after I ride (if I haven't been there for a bit) I always start thinking my fork must be due for a service. I think it's just rough enough to show up the poor damper in the yari where every other track feels ok at worst.

I have ordered a LUFTKAPPE but it hasn't shown up yet. When that gets here I will ride it for a week to see how much of a difference that makes before spending any more money (ha i'm lying). After that I'm considering either a charger RTC3 or a yari up. Just wondering if any ones tried either or these. So far the yari up is winning on price, not having a bladder (simpler), only requires some orings and a bleed to service and having better looking dials. NS dynamic rate the yari'up as on par with a charger with the FAST 3 Way Kit installed. Has anyone tried either of these upgrades or gone from a yari to a lyric ect or upgraded a charger with a FAST 3 Way Kit.

Any comparisons will he helpful cheers.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm about to get back my Yari with an Avalanche cartridge and an MRP ramp control, I've already had the blueprint service done on the airspring. About double what you are considering but is about as good as it gets. I'll report back in about a month.

If I didn't get the Avalanche I would go the Yari-up. It's the more sophisticated solution and is easier to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
Although it’s a completely different fork, I put a Luftkappe in my NA2 airspring Fox 34s and it made a very noticeable difference. Install that and have a few rides to get it set up properly.

Then upgrade the damper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smegoal

Squid
I got the Luftkappe on friday and took the family out for a ride on sat and did not feel any real difference. Then on sunday I went out on my own it felt better the rougher and faster it was. Very happy with it for 90 $ fork feels much smoother at the top. It also did not feel like it was diving as much in the mid stroke even with no tokens (had one in before, have tried more previously but did not like). I'll ride some more and post back here how it goes.

smegoal

Squid
I rode down the roughest track I do regularly and it was a big improvement. In the middle section (2 fast point and shoot straights with roots and drops everywhere) I felt a lot more comfortable and quickly found I could let off the brakes and lean back and let the bike do it. After that I was kinda too busy riding to think. But at the bottom I still had a bit of travel left on the front and it had felt faster and nicer than ever.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Sorry to hijack your thread, I'm thinking of exactly the same thing. Don't think I should create a duplicate post.

The options are:
1) FAST damper + Vorsprung Luftkappe from NSD for about $770 (I expect some discount as this is the price for duplicated hyperformance service I got from their site).
2) RCT3 charger damper + debonair can from Cyclinic for $500 - I've called them and received the quote.

I'm more tempted to go 2nd option as it's much cheaper and the fact that all the upgrades are Rockshox - more generic, easier to service. Could be persuaded otherwise if the FAST damper is much much better than the RCT3 damper.

The other option is to sus out avalanche damper. Which shop can do this? I called NSD and they said they can't do it :(

smegoal

Squid
The fast damper is very easy to install $ 391 for self install. Undo allen key take noob off, undo damper remove, tip out old oil put new in measure from crown oil height, put new damper in. done. If you already have a charger damper I see no reason to change it for the fast yari up and one reason not to change it, the noobs on the yari'up are tiny and hard to turn (may loosen up with use). Ns dynamics said they felt the yari up was on par with the charger with the 3 way upgrade done to it.

I haven't had a ride on the fast yet, I installed it last night and have been doing laps of the yard and playing with the damping. I have not ridden a charger in ages and that was only for one run so I wont be able to give a good comparison. I will have a crack at getting it tuned in over the weekend and will report back with what I find. Also I'll try and get one of the boys who rides a charger to swap for a lap once I have it sorted.

So far it the lsc really seem to have a noticeable difference all the way through the range as long as the msc is set high enough to give it room. Also with the msc there is no area where the clicks feel like they don't do anything. First up msc makes endos a lot easier to control. Also feels like there is something to push against when braking hard.

I had assumed as it was advertised as having user adjustable hsc through a shim stack that it would come with a handful of shims which would have been a advantage once the charger with 3 way sadly not. According to NS I'm in the standard weight range so I will see how it goes.

Oddjob

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'm thinking of exactly the same thing. Don't think I should create a duplicate post.

The options are:
1) FAST damper + Vorsprung Luftkappe from NSD for about $770 (I expect some discount as this is the price for duplicated hyperformance service I got from their site).
2) RCT3 charger damper + debonair can from Cyclinic for $500 - I've called them and received the quote.

I'm more tempted to go 2nd option as it's much cheaper and the fact that all the upgrades are Rockshox - more generic, easier to service. Could be persuaded otherwise if the FAST damper is much much better than the RCT3 damper.

The other option is to sus out avalanche damper. Which shop can do this? I called NSD and they said they can't do it :(
You buy the Avalanche cartridge directly from the states from this website http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com Mtb suspension centre can fit it.

Cost wise this is about the same as getting the Charger rc2 damper from the Lyrik.

For maintenance, the Avalanche and Fast yari-up will be simpler to service as they are open bath.

On the air spring side, the best thing to do is to get the new debonair spring for the bigger negative air chamber and then get the mrp ramp control.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
You buy the Avalanche cartridge directly from the states from this website http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com Mtb suspension centre can fit it.

Cost wise this is about the same as getting the Charger rc2 damper from the Lyrik.

For maintenance, the Avalanche and Fast yari-up will be simpler to service as they are open bath.

On the air spring side, the best thing to do is to get the new debonair spring for the bigger negative air chamber and then get the mrp ramp control.

Sadly, I'm not familiar with the open bath system, and am still learning how to service my own fork.
But I'll take your word for it - Avalanche and FAST yari up is simpler to service.
Moreover, it sounds like the debonair is the way to go rather than the luftkappe.
Not sure about the mrp ramp control just yet.... not exactly sold on the idea of having the ability to change the token in smaller increment and dynamically.

@smegoal I'll be waiting for your reviews on those FAST charger damper before I make any move.

Thanks guys! You are awesome!

smegoal

Squid
Haven't tried the debonair but one plus with it is if your fork/frame can take a extra 10mm of travel at the front. Just order the deborn air with the longer airshafe. Easiest way to tell, if your fork has 2 scale for sag mine has 150 and 160. So I could have put a 160 air shaft in. Norco design all there bikes to take a 10mm increase in the front and still be covered by warranty. If your concerned by such things ask the brand who made it.

Extra 10mm and a fraction slacker for no extra $. I don't need a extra 10mm my bike is too long already. But to be honest I did not think of that till I had it pulled apart.

smegoal

Squid
I went and did repeats of a rough fast section of track this morning. It starts with a S bend on a moderate decline covered with roots. Into a loose dusty berm then a drop, landing onto a down slope with lots of roots and rocks. A fast straight section with lots of chatter then flattens off and a little catch berm. Then back to the top.

I think before I had this damper I had to rely on the rebound being very fast to stop it from packing down or have it stiff to keep it up in the travel over chatter. With the old damper I had to choose one thing to make it feel good at the expense of the rest of the ride. With the fast damper I still can't have a perfect setup that works great everywhere, but I think I will just be able to wind some compression on and off rather then adding air and tokens for different tracks. The MSC is easily the best feature it keeps the nose up when you slam the brakes on and really feels firm under you. But when you hit a drop the fork is as soft as. If I had the motion control set up to feel as firm as this it would feel harsh, with the fast I could adjust the harshness out entirely. I always had to have the compression damping open with the motion control as it felt like a bag of dicks even with only one or 2 clicks.

I set it up so I still have a 10 or 20 mm left after the drop. As firm as I could go in the MCS before it started feeling harsh at speed. And then wound the LSC up till I tought I could just start to feel in making the initial impacts feel harsh then wound it back a little bit.

Very impressed. The knobs loosened up considerable after some use I can turn them with gloves on. Ones easy with one hand and one with the other just because of the angles when seated. I had the bike upside down for a bit putting the wheels on and off to day and no issues (a mate had a bos open bath and it needed a bleed every time it went up the wrong way).

I really like the way I can firm it up for the middle size impacts whilst keeping it soft initially without it feeling harsh for the bigger hits.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the in depth review @smegoal !

I spoke to a mechanic and he said the open bath system is susceptible to air entering the system and hence requiring a bleed.
Thus he's not a big fan of the open bath system like avy.

I'm still two minds about the update.
I've just found another solution - converting the yari to coil using push industries converter (https://www.pushindustries.com/prod...on-kit-for-2016-2018-rocks-shox-lyrik-rc-rct3).
Similar price/slightly cheaper than the FAST conversion, more expensive than rct3 + debonair.
The only snag is that once you do it, there's no going back as the spring scratch the internal of the stanchions, making it possible for air to escape to undesirable places.
I have a boxxer with coil and i love the suppleness and the extra compliance on low speed.

smegoal

Squid
I would prioritise the damper over the coil as the yari's old damper lacks any useful compression damping. And if you go to a coil you will have a less adjustable fork then you have now (no tokens or pumping the pressure up) which still has almost no useful adjustment for compression.

I think with either the air spring upgrades you will get the a more supple feel. If you can, try jump on someone's bike with a lyric that will give you a good idea of what a new damper can do for your yari.

So far I have not had a problem with air entering the damper, there is a allen key marked bleed port on the top so i'm guessing it will happen eventually I dont think its all open bath dampers that have a problem my marzocchi forks have never had a problem. Maybe just email fast and avalanche and ask them how often it happens and what is involved in fixing it.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Deep drive into the dregs with this.

does anyone have any more feed back on the the Yari up damper?
Got a Yari coming on a new bike and the stock damper is not going to cut it. So I have been looking at a charge 2.1 damper for it but they are out of stock for the next few months. And now I have just come across the Yari up and are looking for some feed back on them.

Oddjob

Can't help on the Yari-up but the Avalanche has been fucking amazing!

Put a WTB on facebook and you might be surprised what people have floating around in their sheds.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I got the Luftkappe on friday and took the family out for a ride on sat and did not feel any real difference. Then on sunday I went out on my own it felt better the rougher and faster it was. Very happy with it for 90 $ fork feels much smoother at the top. It also did not feel like it was diving as much in the mid stroke even with no tokens (had one in before, have tried more previously but did not like). I'll ride some more and post back here how it goes.
I have Luftcappe in one set of Lyriks, and can't feel a difference. Yes, I'm a gumby, but expected more. Granted, they're older non debonaire, but I feel more by playing with tokens.