Yarra Trails regulars

moorey

call me Mia
right what is going on here. i go away for three days to nurse a sick wife and look after snotty kids and the thread is infiltrated by interlopers from Ballarat.

You guys need to stand up for your selves- stop writing all your feelings for the world to see- "oh its cold, muddy, slippery, my hemorrhoids are hurting".

Get off the trails until they recover. Go for a walk with a shovel and fix a section of trail. I will organise the Annusus crew on Saturday to do a working bee. They are already asking "what will I wear".

Moorey and Kingsmill - I need your help
Damo piked on 5.30 ride this morning. Too windy.
Its just you and me. Chief :frusty:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Yarra trails particularly Hans are is good condition. The big thing with the rain is the weather has been warm enough to dry it out. Get out there because it will only take another big dump and cold weather and they will be farked

bardles

Likes Dirt
Yarra trails particularly Hans are is good condition. The big thing with the rain is the weather has been warm enough to dry it out. Get out there because it will only take another big dump and cold weather and they will be farked

I took my 2 year old out this arvo (he doesn't leave tracks), for the tiny weeny bit i saw, I was surprised it wasn't rutted to sh1t. Hans predictably would be ok...

Anyone wanna ride from heidelberg at 7pm for a short cruise?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
im leaving it all up to you guys to sort out

ive lost interest

might take up smoking again and eat a block of chocolate on my own while watching the Dead Poets Society

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
im leaving it all up to you guys to sort out

ive lost interest

might take up smoking again and eat a block of chocolate on my own while watching the Dead Poets Society
Don't forget the hot water bottle for your cramps.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

bardles

Likes Dirt
Great solo trip tonight - long time since Ive ridden the YT. So good to be back on the dirt. The tracks were actually surprisingly dry... the odd puddle. Hans was excellent. Saw no-one except a nice young fella who turned around after I started talking to him.

My Epic is so much better with the new 120mm forks.

Going to make this a regular thing. Getting a bit sick of the roadie...

bardles

Likes Dirt
Yeah no idea after the rain last night. Did I dream someone getting on his high horse with a comment along the lines of "why are people riding these trails in the wet"? I'm normally in this camp, but how many posts proclaimed the trails to be dry? I was pondering the groups of riders...

Sitting at home not riding presuming its wet, but not really knowing for sure but willing to hang shit on anyone else (usually me)
Riding trails knowing they are wet and not giving a shit, usually not commenting on conditions because they are barn-door obvious (the same group of fuckwits who cut living shit down)
Trusting others who claim its dry after more than a few dry days and venturing out ready to ride fire trail and not fuck it up more if it is in fact too wet (and being pleasantly surprised but choosing the segments unlikely to be underwater).

For those who live close enough to carry a shovel, whats the best technique for fixing bogs/puddles that can't be easily drained by digging a run-off? Just fill in the hole with dirt?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah no idea after the rain last night. Did I dream someone getting on his high horse with a comment along the lines of "why are people riding these trails in the wet"? I'm normally in this camp, but how many posts proclaimed the trails to be dry? I was pondering the groups of riders...

Sitting at home not riding presuming its wet, but not really knowing for sure but willing to hang shit on anyone else (usually me)
Riding trails knowing they are wet and not giving a shit, usually not commenting on conditions because they are barn-door obvious (the same group of fuckwits who cut living shit down)
Trusting others who claim its dry after more than a few dry days and venturing out ready to ride fire trail and not fuck it up more if it is in fact too wet (and being pleasantly surprised but choosing the segments unlikely to be underwater).

For those who live close enough to carry a shovel, whats the best technique for fixing bogs/puddles that can't be easily drained by digging a run-off? Just fill in the hole with dirt?
By all means go for a ride Bardles and if its fucked fix it- but few do. Wasnt on my high horse but please tell me which trails in low lying areas between Ivanhoe and Hans are ok..................not many i reckon. I am sitting at home not riding because I know the ST in my area is too wet because I walked them with the kids. Not hanging shit on anyone- common sense should tell you what to do. Higher trails will be ok the boggy stuff will be fucked. Drain the puddles and re-enforce the channel.

bardles

Likes Dirt
By all means go for a ride Bardles and if its fucked fix it- but few do. Wasnt on my high horse but please tell me which trails in low lying areas between Ivanhoe and Hans are ok..................not many i reckon. I am sitting at home not riding because I know the ST in my area is too wet because I walked them with the kids. Not hanging shit on anyone- common sense should tell you what to do. Higher trails will be ok the boggy stuff will be fucked. Drain the puddles and re-enforce the channel.

It wasn't you big JD. And as I said, I'm usually one of those berating people riding wet trails. I'll do a recon walk with my toddler at some stage this weekend, but even that will probably be fireroad... snippets of the singletrack visible will give at least an idea.

Anyone know how plenty gorge or smiths gully drain/hold up over winter?

Skurfer

Cannon Fodder
It wasn't you big JD. And as I said, I'm usually one of those berating people riding wet trails. I'll do a recon walk with my toddler at some stage this weekend, but even that will probably be fireroad... snippets of the singletrack visible will give at least an idea.

Anyone know how plenty gorge or smiths gully drain/hold up over winter?
Rode plenty gorge last night. Was fantastic. Crossed the river to ride the north side as well. The steep gully where they have taken out the high bride was damn slippery to get across. The north side of the river was a little more slippery than the south side but was still fine. Jess's track was a little sloshy on about 2 corners but was fine everywhere else. Went with every intention to turn around if the trails were going to be damaged but it was completely fine.

bardles

Likes Dirt
Rode plenty gorge last night. Was fantastic. Crossed the river to ride the north side as well. The steep gully where they have taken out the high bride was damn slippery to get across. The north side of the river was a little more slippery than the south side but was still fine. Jess's track was a little sloshy on about 2 corners but was fine everywhere else. Went with every intention to turn around if the trails were going to be damaged but it was completely fine.

Thanks mate. Heading up Mt Dandenong on the roadie tomorrow instead and after that looks like another week of rain to ruin the tracks for the season.

Rode the fireroads out to Westerfolds today and saw a little of the tracks out there with my toddler. What I saw at Westerfold's looked borderline ok, but won't stand up to any more rain.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
If the YTs are in too bad shape for people then get down to Lysterfield. Just rode it and the trails are 99% dry, just the occasional puddle and one wet section of ~10m on Upper Buckle or Middle. It’s so dry that there were guys out there on CX bikes.

The tracks have held up surprisingly well considering the amount of rain that Lysty got over the past few weeks.

On the YTs, the ST on the high side of the Boulevard is in good shape as is the stuff around Monument climb. The section between the pipe bridge and Bell Bird park is ok, a few small puddles at the top of star-pickets and the usual one at the bottom.

There looks to be a new (to me a least) link from the Boulevard down to the ST next the wooden bridge near the freeway. It’s only short; however, it allows you to swap back to the low side ST (from the high side) just before the freeway. Your choice whether you want to use it now or wait till spring.