Yarra Trails regulars

al_

Likes Dirt
I don't suppose that was you riding down Miller Street, Nth Fitzroy on Sat? I was on my way out when I saw some seriously muddy guys riding along, must have come back from a session on Yarra. When I saw them it made me want to go, and not want to go!
It wasn't me. I usually come from the other end as my bike and riding mate live in templestowe. I've been on the road bike the last couple of weeks as it is really nasty out there... i don't mind puddles and a bit of mud, but it has gone beyond that lately.

I actually took the mtb out yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks... and it hates me now. The stretch between the footy grounds in heidelberg and templestowe had some seriously deep mud. It smells really stagnant in some places too so i think i'll stay away for a bit

Studley park is mostly ok - it just gets bad once you go down the hill alongside the freeway towards heidelberg. There seems to be a lot of people riding around that section and churning everything up.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
been waiting for the weather to turn, guess this wet patch will be good in summer (less dust). Yarra Flats is just too muddy, not that i'm wimping out just not as enjoyable as belting along and railing corners. Crit circuit a bit too wet as well. Not too bad around pipe bridge etc.

Anyone been around Han's loop lately, reckon it would be still a good ride? What about up and back from pipe bridge - Han's Loop, I have only gone as far as Pipe Bridge to Maningham road, in last few weeks, not ideal. The roadie is looking more and more like a ride.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some major weirdos out there.... I'm a bit hesitant to head out there on my own, it's only a matter of time before one of those bushwalking types to shove a stick into someones spokes and have their way with them!
I doubt very much they're the bush walking types, more likely looking for a cock to suck. Plenty of dirty gay men hanging around out there ready to slip into some of the little knooks and crannies that unfortunately line the tracks, pretty harmless though. They are notorious in between Banyule flats and Bell St as well as around Studley park.

Not that I know anything about it...:D

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone been around Han's loop lately, reckon it would be still a good ride? What about up and back from pipe bridge - Han's Loop, I have only gone as far as Pipe Bridge to Maningham road, in last few weeks, not ideal. The roadie is looking more and more like a ride.
Did Hans loop yesterday. Normally ride out there from Fitzroy but the tracks are so far gone I drove out and parked at the bridge. The track is in OK state. There's a few bog holes here and there but generally good. Certainly not damaging it if riding unlike the Yarra trails.

Saw plenty of people out there yesterday. Maybe 8 other riders in just over an hour. More than I've seen before..........

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i'm sure they are harmless.. but they creep me out. Sooo Greasy.
yes it's a bit intimidating now I know how many women must feel. The good thing is they have created some great single track - and they scare off walkers and anyone else who can't escape quickly, that leaves us and the gay dudes, they tend to have their own codes so they can spot each other - never had any problems with them, I guess when they tell there partners they're going for a ride ...:)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a loop just past Westerfold Park. It's also called Pink Ribon. I don't know why it's called either. Anyhoo, follow the link below to a nice thread mtb101 started. He's posted a map
still like to see some times posted for loop, my quickest is mid 15 mins, know there would be plenty quicker, reckon the switch back climbs are the make or break time wise, although lots have said the tight tree section, don't know, but from my experience hills are where time loss is magnified.

As a training loop I have been able to do 4 x 16:05/45 mins loops, with 2-3 minutes breaks.

keyatch

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the map. I haven't been up that far yet. I live in Richmond. So i usually just head up along the river, doing all the single track along there and then turn around and ride home when i'm fucked.

I might pop the bike on the car and drive up there on the weekend and check out that bit. Weather permitting.

al_

Likes Dirt
been waiting for the weather to turn, guess this wet patch will be good in summer (less dust). Yarra Flats is just too muddy, not that i'm wimping out just not as enjoyable as belting along and railing corners. Crit circuit a bit too wet as well. Not too bad around pipe bridge etc.

Which pipe bridge? The fairfield one, or is there another? I wouldn't have noticed that the fairfield one had a pipe unless i was specifically looking for it.

Where does the path go beyond the pink ribbon loop too? I'm keen to find some quieter areas that might be less messy, but i've never kept going. Do the tracks go any further out there?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Where does the path go beyond the pink ribbon loop too? I'm keen to find some quieter areas that might be less messy, but i've never kept going. Do the tracks go any further out there?
The regular Wednesday evening rides (and the odd other one :rolleyes:) that I SMS out have been up through Pink Ribbon and out further sometimes almost to the Nursery. Good tracks but you need to know how to get onto them - but well worth the effort. There's a good series of slippery hills for interval and skills training behind the nursery.... Take a spare pair of lungs.

Other than a couple of muddy holes the tack's in reasonable shape. A touch of work needed to realign the fall on a couple of holes because over the years the amount of rider traffic has increased markedly and these spots are suffering.

It would be terrific if people understood that dragging a locked rear wheel into a bend screws the track up and makes life hard for those who care for the track. Oh yes and for those who feel the need to create short cuts to skip a couple of bends, then please don't. It makes it tough for riders at night who are not familiar with the track.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I actually took the mtb out yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks... and it hates me now. The stretch between the footy grounds in heidelberg and templestowe had some seriously deep mud. It smells really stagnant in some places too so i think i'll stay away for a bit
I just returned from this section of track and there are some fragile areas that are suffering - but as a whole, the track's holding up okay. Some bits are like brown snot.

I usually avoid this section in the wet out of respect for the track but glad I did ride it today. Moved a lot of wood poking at riders and a couple of places where somebody has misguidedly placed branches across the track to hinder access (near the Finn's Reserve foot bridge).

Also built more wood up over that wombat hole that has collapsed in the middle of the track. This one is going to need a diversion in order to avoid injuries. Anyone want to lend a hand one evening? Track building at night is spooky but cool. If so pls pm.

al_

Likes Dirt
No worries - been over it a few times this weekend, as i'm living just near dights falls in clifton hill.

From what i've seen, the stretch between the flats and chandler is in the worst shape at the moment. Either side seems ok - the templestowe/eltham end should be ok, and heading right from the fairfield bridge towards bat country is pretty good. There are too many people and dogs around there though, so i only go there when i take half days off (every friday...).

What do you guys ride? I've got a black avanti and refuse to wear anything too clingy (for this reason)

keyatch

Likes Bikes
So from chandler and beyond should be ok if i head out this weekend?

I ride an orange Kona. No lycra for me (too hugging for my "figure")

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So from chandler and beyond should be ok if i head out this weekend?
Howdy. I'd miss the part between Bourke and the Nurseries, or at least have a look and don't be gutted if you can't ride it. I did it 2 weeks ago and bailed about 100m in it so so crappy. More damage than good ridng in there. Not too sure around Rosana. A mate and I ride out to Westerfolds along the path as a decent warm up and then hit Hans loop. When it dries out we'll ride all the trails.

I ride a black/ silver Giant Anthem. Embarrassingly, I do wear lycra. Not a fan of the look, but bloody comfortable and doesn't flap around.

Roasted Chicken

Likes Bikes
Have you guys got a regular weds night ride going?
What time do you normally ride? Where do you ride from/to ie how far and what sorta pace do you set?
I'm looking to get back on the bike again after a couple months off due to injury and general slackness. Im pretty familiar with hans loop and trails around westerfolds.
Let me know if you are heading out tonight.

Cheers,

Scott

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Have you guys got a regular weds night ride going?
What time do you normally ride? Where do you ride from/to ie how far and what sorta pace do you set?
I'm looking to get back on the bike again after a couple months off due to injury and general slackness. Im pretty familiar with hans loop and trails around westerfolds.
Let me know if you are heading out tonight.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott the numbers vary markedly and participation from this forum has been pretty poor - but that's okay. I'll often sms before with time and meeting place. The norm is from the foot bridge at Finn's Reserve usually around 7:15pm. PM if you want on the sms list.

These rides are easy pace and emphasis on fun. More a reminder of why we ride MTB, mid week fix and spin the legs so that they don't forget what they're there for. We'll also stop for a bit for a snack and chat.

We try to be back in a couple of hours but in the warmer weather when the days are longer, we'll be out on epic rides and go with the collective mood of the group.

There are enough shop and club rides in the area that cater for the racers. That said, we'll often play race with each other and giggle into the night.

I won't be SMSing tonight because of other another thing I have on but might tomorrow evening instead.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,

Do any Burners know where goats track is? I heard another rider mention it once, it's around Studley Park area.

Cheers,

Coaster