Yarra Trails regulars

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Lol... they were families with little kids not the usual SUSpects.. easy to get cleaned up around there as there are lots of blind corners. Great fast flowy track though! We probably passed you I was riding with 4 others, what time did you ride?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I was out at Hans from around 2ish and then left the YTs at Banksia St around 3:45; I didn't see any large riding groups.

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
We left earlyish & were out at Hans at 9, then back home by 1ish. Great riding weather today!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Lol... they were families with little kids not the usual SUSpects.. easy to get cleaned up around there as there are lots of blind corners. Great fast flowy track though! We probably passed you I was riding with 4 others, what time did you ride?

You would know AC if you ever saw him. He is a mountain man, covered in thick fur and primitive jail tattoos. He rides like a mountain gorilla and drinks straight bourbon when it's hot. He has a snake skin belt that holds up his pants and no shirts or shoes. I have seen him take a crap while riding, I heard female joggers are attracted to him like watching a car accident. He pleasures them on the Yarra trails and they lie spent whispering his name.........................."oh Big AC".

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
You've described the man of my dreams, I think I might start trawling Yarra Flats myself... watch out for the girl on the snake skin Trek ;)

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
hope you're all having a nice break and getting in some good rides, talking to a mate today who said he saw a head on at Han's Loop yesterday. they were going the standard way up the switchbacks and you know the fast descent after switchbacks - well here's a guy coming up the other way and as rider descends around corner bang tyre to tyre impact. nothing serious riders ok, wheels bent - climbing rider went right to avoid crash and descending rider went left.

I've had this happen as well, newer riders panic and power slide toward you or just freeze up and go to nearest tree.

another day of excitement on the Yts.
I've had a few close ones there. You can get some good speed ( over 30kmh) on that small drop. Similar things happen either the rider coming up doesn't move at all or stops on the trail.When I ride the loop reverse I always expect someone to come and watch the track closely. But as someone said you can always see a fair way ahead so if both riders are on the ball a collision shouldn't occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cx rider down on pipe bridge single track section this morning, hope he's ok, looks like he went down hard.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
First ride for 2014. Burke to Bellbird and the ST is in great shape. The rain yesterday has bedding everything down without creating mud (a few small puddles between chandler and pipe bridge).

Was riding down the steep section of trail between the Boulie and the low side ST (the one that comes out right next to the wooden bridge under the Eastern Freeway and has the jump at the top) when my dropper post failed, total loss of air pressure. Had to ride home looking like a DJ rider with the seat post down low - that was a pain.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots of walkers around today.

Did a quick loop around Yarra Bend, lots of walkers about, annoying ones to. No matter how slow you approached them and warned them of your approach you're lucky to get a grunt from them, but more likely to get a serve or some kind of exaggerated "leap" from the trail, then a serve.

Anyway, I swear there was lot more "No bikes allowed" signs about too.

Meh.

KDB

Likes Bikes
what a shit head
agreed .. not good at all but if the guy was a patient of the facility how did he escape/abscond if he was identified as being a potential to 'display high-risk anti-social behaviour'?

Classic example of The System letting us down and putting people at risk?
... errr can i have some of my tax back please?

Quote:The Disability Forensic Assessment and Treatment Service (DFATS), formerly known as the Statewide Forensic Service, is funded by the department (of Human Services)
DFATS is a state-wide disability forensic service that delivers time-limited treatment, support and residential services for people with a disability who display high-risk anti-social behaviour and are involved, or at risk of being involved, in the criminal justice system.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Just read every post in this thread over the last day or two. Don't ask me why. I accidentally hit "oldest post" on tapatalk and it snowballed from there.
Jeez thats about 3 hrs of my life ill never get back. But I feel like I know you all that much more ......for better or worse.

One thing that I noticed is George has been quite ( his bike carriers are going well and probably keeping him busy)
I was wondering if there's an update on the trail development at Hans?

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
What is even scarier for me is that my wife was walking there at that time and we just heard it on the news, she said there were heaps of women training but is pi55ed that yet again another incident has occurred related to the facilities.

Been a couple of those attacks over the years including one where a guy from the facility stabbed another guy through the head. The poor victim was just riding along and the guy jumped out of the trees and randomly ended his life.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is even scarier for me is that my wife was walking there at that time and we just heard it on the news, she said there were heaps of women training but is pi55ed that yet again another incident has occurred related to the facilities.

Been a couple of those attacks over the years including one where a guy from the facility stabbed another guy through the head. The poor victim was just riding along and the guy jumped out of the trees and randomly ended his life.
That single incident should have been enough cause to fix their f***ng issues. The system has let people down far too many times. As a husband and dad I get really angry about this; their primary duty should be to protect the public from these loonies.

I'd wager that only a law-suit would trigger some action from these "public servants".

al_

Likes Dirt
That single incident should have been enough cause to fix their f***ng issues. The system has let people down far too many times. As a husband and dad I get really angry about this; their primary duty should be to protect the public from these loonies.

I'd wager that only a law-suit would trigger some action from these "public servants".
This is far from the first security failure associated with this particular facility. A quick google brings up quite a few warnings of exactly this kind of threat that have been raised over the past couple of years. This shows how prominant some of these concerns have been.

Treatment of disabled offenders is obviously an incredibly problematic issue and innovative approaches are important, but not when they pose a threat to unsuspecting members of the public. Basically anything DHS touch turns to shit too, as that place is full of the most despicably useless bureaucrats imaginable. Their incompetence knows no bounds, and it is a fairly safe bet that they have been aware of these exact issues for years and done nothing about it. Hopefully somebody does launch a law suit. I would love to go after them for their ongoing child protection failures, but unfortunately it is incredibly difficult to make anything stick.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the link; there's some depressing reading to be had out of that article. It confirms that the DHS are marching to a different beat than the rest of us. The f**kheads...

This is far from the first security failure associated with this particular facility. A quick google brings up quite a few warnings of exactly this kind of threat that have been raised over the past couple of years. This shows how prominant some of these concerns have been.

Treatment of disabled offenders is obviously an incredibly problematic issue and innovative approaches are important, but not when they pose a threat to unsuspecting members of the public. Basically anything DHS touch turns to shit too, as that place is full of the most despicably useless bureaucrats imaginable. Their incompetence knows no bounds, and it is a fairly safe bet that they have been aware of these exact issues for years and done nothing about it. Hopefully somebody does launch a law suit. I would love to go after them for their ongoing child protection failures, but unfortunately it is incredibly difficult to make anything stick.

Big AC

Likes Dirt

Thanks for the link; there's some depressing reading to be had out of that article. It confirms that the DHS are marching to a different beat than the rest of us. The f**kheads...
My sister used to work for DHS and tells stories of a level of incompetence which would blow your minds, it is even worse than you think that it is. One guy who works there in the facility management area is so useless that no matter what the problem is with a house / facility he’ll just order a new toilet (I swear this is true).

The problem is that because of the bureaucratic nanny state operating within government departments people can’t be fired even though they are grossly incompetent; hence you get a build up of useless people in the departments (there are some good ones apparently; however, they are massively outnumbered) – our tax dollar hard at work.

Thankfully my sister left DHS to get out of the unending disaster.

On the Yarra Bend arsehole, when as a society do we get the right to say that you aren’t fit to be a part of society so we are removing you from it permanently? Everyone can’t be fixed; some people just need removed for the public's safety. I appreciate the whole second chance idea; however, surely there is point where enough is enough.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt

On the Yarra Bend arsehole, when as a society do we get the right to say that you aren’t fit to be a part of society so we are removing you from it permanently? Everyone can’t be fixed; some people just need removed for the public's safety. I appreciate the whole second chance idea; however, surely there is point where enough is enough.
for these serious repeat sex offenders when does castration become viable? surely at some point it has to be better than life incarceration for them...