Yarra Trails regulars

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Ran over a tiger near the canoe club in westerfolds today.
Absolutely myself and then every root and stick after that was impersonating a snake. Changed the vibe of the ride completely. Trails are ken mint atm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Ran over a tiger near the canoe club in westerfolds today.
Absolutely myself and then every root and stick after that was impersonating a snake. Changed the vibe of the ride completely. Trails are ken mint atm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I hate that feeling after an encounter. I once came across three in a row on one ride- I think I was in shock and stuck to the road for three weeks.

big gags

Likes Bikes
I ran it SS for a while- it rocks. You might find you can run the same gearing - BT might be a lighter setup- so better to ride when you are getting tied.

riding for 24 hours on a SS- you are inspiring and alittle messed up.
Someone asked me why I was going to do it on an SS and the only thing I can come up with is "just because" :)

My other thought with running the 20 on the BT is that I only have 175 mm cranks on it compared to 180 mm on the KM and so I figured that one gear easier might be the way to go. I will hopefully get it up and running in the next week or so and then give it a back-to-back trial run against the KM to see what the same gear feels like on them both and then will decide from there. I guess worst case I can always just take the 20T and another pre-cut chain with me and then if I need the easier gear I can just swap it out mid-race.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
be careful

The Yarra trails are very overgrown in places- bloody thistles are killing me. This restricts sightlines and increases the risk of collisions with others and wiggerly sticks.

Please be careful - use a bell on blind corners, sing, whistle and perhaps turn off strava and headphones. The last thing anyone wants is a head on collision with serious consequences

Also if you could pack a saw/shears and clear a bit each ride- that would be amazing

Much love

XXX

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh I hate that feeling after an encounter. I once came across three in a row on one ride- I think I was in shock and stuck to the road for three weeks.
Haha, I started at the Burke rd bridge one day and before the Banksia st bridge I'd seen 3 snakes (ran over one) and then saw a guy on the ST who'd obviously been bitten in a very sensitive spot and some good Samaritan was sucking the poison out... I didn't even get to the bridge, just went home.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
thank you

A huge thanks to the individuals who have been working on Bruce's (the paddock loop) over the weekend. Cutting back the grass and thistles is greatly appreciated by all. Fill in a few holes and she'll be good for Summer.

monc

Likes Dirt
Just a heads up that the little narrow singletrack squeezed between the freeway/main shared path and the golfcourse near Willesmere has been blocked off. At the Belford road end they've put up a ~2m tall metal fence and there's a lot of cut branches and logs along the rest of it.

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes
Just a heads up that the little narrow singletrack squeezed between the freeway/main shared path and the golfcourse near Willesmere has been blocked off. At the Belford road end they've put up a ~2m tall metal fence and there's a lot of cut branches and logs along the rest of it.
God why would they do that?
Hurting no one

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Erosion.

ride it anyway. They blocked the mid way exit a few months back. Careful at the very end it gets very narrow next to the cyclone fence. Ive clipped it twice now.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Trail changes- WHY?

There have been a number of changes to the single track between the Banyule Flats Reserve and Bonds road. All "obstacles" have been removed- log rolls over fallen trees and stumps. They used a chainsaw to clear the entire section. It wasn't Parks Vic or council.

Of greater wonderment is the fact that they have cut a "french line" through a corner up near the big dipper (hole with the huge fallen tree). There was a long sweeping corner with an access to the main Yarra trail which was blocked off with logs and a new straight line cut through the corner. They used chainsaws on this new section and was not a lone wolf attack (multiple hands). They have blocked the corner 3 times with massive cut logs leaving the straightline as the only option.

Whoever you are- you are persistent. Why?????

If it was to improve sightlines then there are 30 other corners that could have benefitted from your efforts. Why would you want to block off one of the only long sweeping corners on the trail? Why block off the only access to the MYT along this section?

I can vaguely understand the removal of logrolls and "obstacles" for the safety of all usergroups but cutting a big-ugly-fuck-off-french line through a lovely corner baffles many. I hope that you are not looking to dumb down the Yarra trails.

We are looking for some insight into why these changes have been made and are so diligently managed.

Cheers

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pipe bridge to Banyule this morning. Overall not too bad but Bruce's is a no go & the big dipper at the city end of the Banksia bit is impassable.

Seems nature is keen on reclaiming Bruce's, got savaged by blackberries today

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Odyssey to Hans yesterday and it’s all fine, a couple of puddles in the usual areas which will dry fast. The ST is packed down but not sloppy.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Pipe bridge to Richmond is good. Chandler to Bonds is sloppy in the usual spots. Bruces' loop is a mess

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Rode Hans loop for the first time in months and a heap of corners (from the top of the power line climb down to the clearing) now have berms. When did this happen?

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The berms have been there for a few months, not sure if they have been sanctioned or not.

Rode up to the Studley Park PT for the first time in a while, wow the kiddies have been busy.

There is some additional water erosion on the ST between pipe bridge and bell bird. The corner just before the wooden bridge (when heading downstream) has eroded again, there are holes which someone has put a few rocks in to try to make it a bit more rollable. Further downstream the rollup before the section with the wooden hand rail has eroded further.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
The berms have been there for a few months, not sure if they have been sanctioned or not.

Rode up to the Studley Park PT for the first time in a while, wow the kiddies have been busy.

There is some additional water erosion on the ST between pipe bridge and bell bird. The corner just before the wooden bridge (when heading downstream) has eroded again, there are holes which someone has put a few rocks in to try to make it a bit more rollable. Further downstream the rollup before the section with the wooden hand rail has eroded further.
i imagine they must be approved if they are still there after many months. Not like our berm AC!!!!

The rocks are there so we could climb it- there are a number of other lines to descend. We could use some of the big grey rocks from above the bridge to build up a water channel and improve the sustainability of that climb.

Lets ride again soon................................

Last edited:

big gags

Likes Bikes
Trail changes- WHY?

There have been a number of changes to the single track between the Banyule Flats Reserve and Bonds road. All "obstacles" have been removed- log rolls over fallen trees and stumps. They used a chainsaw to clear the entire section. It wasn't Parks Vic or council.

Of greater wonderment is the fact that they have cut a "french line" through a corner up near the big dipper (hole with the huge fallen tree). There was a long sweeping corner with an access to the main Yarra trail which was blocked off with logs and a new straight line cut through the corner. They used chainsaws on this new section and was not a lone wolf attack (multiple hands). They have blocked the corner 3 times with massive cut logs leaving the straightline as the only option.

Whoever you are- you are persistent. Why?????

If it was to improve sightlines then there are 30 other corners that could have benefitted from your efforts. Why would you want to block off one of the only long sweeping corners on the trail? Why block off the only access to the MYT along this section?

I can vaguely understand the removal of logrolls and "obstacles" for the safety of all usergroups but cutting a big-ugly-fuck-off-french line through a lovely corner baffles many. I hope that you are not looking to dumb down the Yarra trails.

We are looking for some insight into why these changes have been made and are so diligently managed.

Cheers
Rode out to Candlebark today for 40 km or so - that corner that you mentioned as being blocked off has now been reversed and the straight line has been blocked off with piles of logs/branches and the sweeper is now the only way to get through there - go figure!!

The trails were in great shape after a bit of rain last night and my new 2.4" Hans Dampf tyres were hooking up pretty well on the corners :). I'm really liking the "newer" sections out that way including the section that follows the river and goes around Bonds Road, the new section at Candlebark that starts on the RHS of the MYT as it leads up from the carpark at Fitzsimmons Lane Bridge and comes out on the switchback climb, the single track that you access through the gate to get to the high tension power line climb (probably been there for ages but I only discovered it a couple of months ago), and the fairly new loop that has been put in on the hill behind Beasleys Nursery. It's a great change from the same-old, same-old for me and I really appreciate whoever took the effort to put in the new sections!!!