Yarra Trails regulars

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Re Snakes I reckon there will be plenty this season. On Tuesday arvo I decided to park the mtb and take the roadie out instead and I saw 1 Tiger and 1 Brown out the back roads (Mt. Pleasant Rd. Eltham circa 5pm) bordering the mtb green wedge. That is, they were on the bitumen road within a few hundred metres of each other and there was no water nearby, perhaps some personal dams but no creek. The Tiger was a big and thick adult, the Brown long and thin, not the usual thickness. If they are out this far from the green wedge then along the YT there should be plenty.

Last year I saw 1 snake only and about eleventy billion (lots, about a dozen) blue tongue lizards.

Seeing one snake is enough I reckon :)
Am thinking I am going to have ride around sunrise and/or sunset on the YTs this summer to minimise my chances of a snake run in - of course I am sure there will be midday rides - fingers crossed our reptillian friends are elsewhere at the time :)

Sic

Likes Dirt
I think mars mtb might be onto something about this year, I saw a few snakes on the Merri creak bike path near Heildelburg road towards the start of this year so if they're that far in when its quiet......

Big JD

Wheel size expert
woman eaten by tiger - mTBer refused to assist

I saw a lady (young and attractive) lying under a tree reading a book surrounded by long grass next to the Yarra yesterday afternoon. It looked like a picture from the French countryside and I pictured breaking bread, eating cheese and drinking red wine then making love while our naked flesh was caressed by the gentle coolling breeze........................... then it hit me............................... does this lady know about the infestation of snakes in this area......................... should I tell her to be aware (not alarmed)... how do I do that with out frightening her or her thinking it is just an excuse to chat her up...... i cycled on prefering to get back to my French countryside thoughts ........................... I hope she survived as I would feel like crap if she got eaten by a tiger and I didnt say anything

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Seeing one snake is enough I reckon :)
Am thinking I am going to have ride around sunrise and/or sunset on the YTs this summer to minimise my chances of a snake run in - of course I am sure there will be midday rides - fingers crossed our reptillian friends are elsewhere at the time :)
Wouldn't go by that , my understanding is they are most active around sunset, when they move from the shadows into the warm stone and ground heated by the sun throughout the day!!

Just sayin!

Killed a poor blue tongue last week, came around the corner and got the fright of my life seeing his scaly skin in the middle of the track and was too late to stop running straight over his tail!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Wouldn't go by that , my understanding is they are most active around sunset, when they move from the shadows into the warm stone and ground heated by the sun throughout the day!!

Just sayin!
I guess I'll be riding before sunset then :)
Saw a couple of lizards out today but they were just off the track so no collisions!

piker

Likes Dirt
Everyone should carry a compression bandage. The odds of being bitten are pretty low unless you try to grab one...a snake that is! If you were bitten on the Yarra, it's ok you won't die, particularly if you have a phone, a compression bandage and the cop from the Village People is nearby...'Young man, ....'

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Everyone should carry a compression bandage. The odds of being bitten are pretty low unless you try to grab one...a snake that is! If you were bitten on the Yarra, it's ok you won't die, particularly if you have a phone, a compression bandage and the cop from the Village People is nearby...'Young man, ....'
you can slice the bite and suck out the venom - dont forget to spit

I wont be riding the Yarra regular Tuesday session rather Woodend or Youies

mudmav

Likes Dirt
It never ceases to amaze me how many mountain bikers dont cary a basic first aid kit, i carry a very basic kit plus a snake bite kit!

And i have had to use the snake bite kit once allready in 3 years of carrying it

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
What if you are bitten on the snake?

Knut

Troll hunter
[h=1]Pressure Immobilisation Technique[/h][h=2][/h]
The pressure-immobilisation first aid technique was developed in the 1970's by Professor Struan Sutherland. Its purpose is to retard the movement of venom from the bite site into the circulation, thus "buying time" for the patient to reach medical care. Research with snake venom has shown that very little venom reaches the blood stream if firm pressure is applied over the bitten area and the limb is immobilised. Pressure-immobilisation was initially developed to treat snakebite, but it is also applicable to bites and stings by some other venomous creatures. It is currently recommended for most life threatening venomous bites and stings in Australia.
[h=2]Pressure-immobilisation is recommended for:[/h]
  • all species of Australian snakes, including sea snakes
  • funnel web spiders
  • bee, wasp and ant stings in allergic individuals
  • blue ringed octopus
  • cone shell stings
[h=2]Do not use pressure-immobilisation first aid for:[/h]
  • spider bites other than from a funnel web spider
  • jelly fish stings
  • stonefish and other fish stings
  • bee, wasp and ant stings in non-allergic individuals
  • bites by scorpions, centipedes, beetles
[h=3]Bites to the lower limb[/h]
  1. Call 000 for an ambulance
  2. Apply a broad pressure bandage over the bite site as soon as possible. Crepe bandages are ideal, but any flexible material may be used. Clothing, towels etc may be torn into strips. Panty hose have been successfully used.

3. Do not take clothing off as the movement of doing so will promote the movement of venom into the blood stream. Keep the patient (and the bitten or stung limb) still.
  4. Bandage upwards from the lower portion of the bitten or stung limb. Even though a little venom may be squeezed upwards, the bandage will be more comfortable, and therefore can be left in place for longer if required.
  5. The bandage should be as tight as you would apply to a sprained ankle.

6. Extend the bandage as high as possible up the limb.

7. Apply a splint to the leg. Any rigid object may be used as a splint. e.g. spade, piece of wood or tree branch, rolled up newspapers etc.

8. Bind it firmly to as much of the leg as possible.

9. Keep the patient still. Lie the patient down to prevent walking or moving around. Have the patient taken immediately by ambulance to the emergency department of the nearest hospital.
[h=5](Images: Pressure-immobilisation, courtesy of the Australian Venom Research Unit)[/h][h=3]Bites to the hand or forearm[/h]
  2. Bandage as much of the arm as possible, starting at the fingers
  3. Use a splint to the elbow
  4. Use a sling to immobilise the arm
  5. Keep the patient still. Lie the patient down to prevent walking or moving around. Have the patient taken immediately by ambulance to the emergency department of the nearest hospital.
[h=3]Bites to the trunk[/h]
  2. If possible apply firm pressure over the bitten or stung area. Do not restrict chest movement. Keep the patient still. Have the patient taken immediately by ambulance to the emergency department of the nearest hospital.
[h=3]Bites to the head or neck[/h]
  2. No first aid for bitten or stung area. Keep the patient still. Have the patient taken immediately by ambulance to the emergency department of the nearest hospital.
[h=4]Additional information:[/h]
  • Research stresses the importance of keeping the patient still. This includes all the limbs.
  • Do NOT cut or excise the bitten or stung area
  • Do NOT apply an arterial tourniquet. (Arterial tourniquets, which cut off the circulation to the limb, are potentially dangerous, and are no longer recommended for any type of bite or sting in Australia.)
  • Do NOT wash the bitten or stung area. The type of snake involved may be identified by the detection of venom on the skin.
  • Note: Even if the bitten or stung person is ill when first seen, the application of pressure-immobilisation first aid may prevent further absorption of venom from the bite or sting site during transport to hospital.
  • If the bandages and splint have been applied correctly, they will be comfortable and may be left on for several hours. They should not be taken off until the patient has reached medical care.
  • The treating doctor will decide when to remove the bandages. If a significant amount of venom has been injected, it may move into the blood stream very quickly when the bandages are removed. They should be left in position until appropriate antivenom and resuscitation equipment has been assembled.
  • Bandages may be quickly reapplied if clinical deterioration occurs, and left on until antivenom therapy has been effective.
[h=5](Adapted with permission from the Australian Venom Research Unit Struan Sutherland/AVRU)[/h]

Big JD

Wheel size expert
trust me - i am a ..................

Please note that i was joking when i suggested you suck out the venom - in case you werent sure and hanging on my every word (i should not be trusted any any medical, social, financial or spiritual matters)

Knut

Troll hunter
Yes, I knew you were joking. But unfortunately some space cadet would read that and take it as SOP's. Just as luck would have it, I would be the first person on the scene. Two dead people on singletrack, miles from anywhere would ruin my ride I reckon. Earphones or not.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Again on snakes I imagine seeing a lot this summer. I know its not the yarra trails but in the plenty gorge area I have seen 4 this month. Maybe its my riding hours but spotting them was quite unnerving.