Yarra Trails regulars

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seen my pic on FB? The grass was so frozen my bike couldn't fall over and the mud was crunchy!
I "Liked" your pic on facebook mate!

My natural "softness" always has me struggling with winter but this year I'm completely unable to cope with the cold. I must be getting old...

KDB

Likes Bikes
Hans Cold

funnily enough its 'warmer' before the sun comes up ... at 5.30am it was -2 then as the sun blinks on the horizon at around 7.20, the mercury drops..

-4.2 this morning on the loop

Attachments

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
funnily enough its 'warmer' before the sun comes up ... at 5.30am it was -2 then as the sun blinks on the horizon at around 7.20, the mercury drops..

i reckon you would feel warmer without a thermometer strapped to your bars telling you how cold it is...

thats a nasty probe poking out there - wouldnt want to land on that during a otb stack.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I suffered shrinkage just looking at that temperature...

yiannos18

Likes Dirt

may I ask why you're running around with that strapped to the stem? Or is it best we all shouldn't know...?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Moorey your are fast becoming one of my best friends and I will proud to show you around the Yarra trails on your arrival into the big smoke. We are proof that not all interweb relations end in a sticky mess or in prison.:tea:

Rob I will find you and introduce you to Bruce and Wayne.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Moorey your are fast becoming one of my best friends and I will proud to show you around the Yarra trails on your arrival into the big smoke. We are proof that not all interweb relations end in a sticky mess or in prison.:tea:

Rob I will find you and introduce you to Bruce and Wayne.
JD who are Bruce and Wayne? your prison friends or your sticky mess friends?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
rode Yarra from Tennis courts south to the city and all the loops around. Lots of the flat stuff was completely fucked. The stuff up high was fine.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Hey JD, did you notice all the mad people running round with maps and compasses? I did an orienteering event from the eaglemont tennis club today, took in some of the singletrack. In that area, lots of the track is very, very wet, some of it submerged. Definitely worth avoiding. But I did find out where the ivanhoe jumps are.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Hey JD, did you notice all the mad people running round with maps and compasses? I did an orienteering event from the eaglemont tennis club today, took in some of the singletrack. In that area, lots of the track is very, very wet, some of it submerged. Definitely worth avoiding. But I did find out where the ivanhoe jumps are.
I saw quiet a few people running around there wondered what they were doing... I rode through on the main access track and the single track looked pretty wet so I stayed off. The tracks out near Westerfolds and Hans upper section werent too bad apart from a couple of areas.

I have ridden past those jumps quiet a bit and never seen anyone on them (even when it was dry)... but someone did quiet a bit of work on them earlier this year.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hans Loop is Ab Fab if the leaky dam section is avoided. It was fantastic riding yesterday, especially so before the sun descends and the conditions become arctic.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hans Loop is Ab Fab if the leaky dam section is avoided. It was fantastic riding yesterday, especially so before the sun descends and the conditions become arctic.
We had a great ride on all the ST from the tennis courts out starting at 7:30, couldn't work out why it was so dry until on the way back rode through a muddy bit and realised it was thawing out.

On nearly all the ride the mud had been frozen, great riding !

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rode Yarra from Tennis courts south to the city and all the loops around. Lots of the flat stuff was completely fucked. The stuff up high was fine.
+1. Basically if it gets the sun during the day and it's not right next to the river, it's ok. Lot's of riders out yesterday afternoon. Took a spin from pipe bridge up to the Golf course climb and back. Lots of guys out. Saw a few coming out of Bruce's loop, haven't been in there for ages but imagine it would pretty crappy.

On a complete tangent, have you guys seen the dude that's been camping along the Yarra over the past few weeks. I've seen him a few times under the power lines near Banksia bridge (brave man!) and also up around Bourke, again under a power line. Has a bike and a fair bit of kit. Must be warmer places to be..........

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yes i saw many with TV antennas running around looking for orange bags with electronic zappers on them. What a strange cult they are. There were even kids involved, one who questioned why i was building a jump in the middle of the track. i explained it was a log roll over for most and a jump for me- he thought I was an amazing, grey haired dirt punk stunt man. I quickly showed him how to drain a puddle with a big stick and off he went. I heard his Dad say to him, "James hurry up you cant drain all the puddles, ditch that stick" - "Dad it is important that we look after these trails". Perfect.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
On a complete tangent, have you guys seen the dude that's been camping along the Yarra over the past few weeks. I've seen him a few times under the power lines near Banksia bridge (brave man!) and also up around Bourke, again under a power line. Has a bike and a fair bit of kit. Must be warmer places to be..........[/QUOTE]

I saw him a few weeks ago lying around in the sun with his bike. Do ya reckon he's figured out what goes on around the billabong he camped by. I doubt he'd be a jolly swagman if he knew

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Another one for Hans being in great shape except for the leaky dam section.

There were quite a few people out and about, even someone on a nice looking fat bike. Saw a few young kids riding the dam section (the wrong way), come on kiddies take the other ST path.

The ST in Westerfolds, and the stuff just before you enter the park, is also fine.

Rode out to the wall and failed miserably, made it about half way up the steep part. The ST from the top is ok; you just have to climb the wall to get to it! There appears to be a back way up which doesn’t look nearly as steep.

Rode Coaster’s Bonds Rd climb, it wasn’t fast or pretty; however, got it done. None of you XC racer boys can now claim that it is a decent climb as my 105kgs made it to the top. Seriously Coaster, on a SS, fark!

The ST between Banksia St and Carey sports grounds is also fine (didn’t see if the wooden bridge is flooded).

I’ve also seen the camping guy out a Hans under a tree near the powerlines after you climb up from the leaky dam section. He seems to like the powerlines.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I doubt he'd be a jolly swagman if he knew
LOL. Very good. He must be a very brave swagman. Of all the places to camp that has to be the coldest, muddiest, dodgiest area along the Yarra. Must be the season for it though, there's been a tent near the pedestrian bridge crossing at Burnley for about a week now.

Last edited: