Yarra Trails regulars

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Hopefully there are a few mtbers who attend!

Absolutely bucketing down with rain out there! First proper sustained downpour in what seems like a while.
Might have to throw the boots on & go for a recce around the Fairfield boathouse later on. Will be interested to see how the trail between the Pipebridge & the Eastern Fwy (towards bat colony) holds up with the deluge as there are a couple of problematic spots that were particularly bad last winter after prolonged or heavy rainfall.
I commuted home tonight through there shakes. A few puddles nothing too major to fix though.

Yeah, it's not too bad. There's a few really obvious spots in that 500m stretch between the pipe bridge & Eastern (downriver) which need some TLC. That heavy stint of rain did a good job of clearing out a lot of the leaf debris in the run-off areas along the trail edge between the PB & Chandler though *high 5s Mother Nature*- one less menial task taken care of.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Planned ride away went to tits. Thankfully it was an absolute pearler on the (southern) YTs yesterday.

[video=youtube;PqGORNYui4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGORNYui4U[/video]
I havent caught up on this for a couple of weeks. Great vid of where i ride weekly. Fantastic to see places that i ride weekly from somewhere other than behind the handlebars.

Great job.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers BigTim. Yeah we're super lucky. Still astounds me just how many people's view of the YTs is limited to what's between Burke Rd & Candlebark.
I spent many years riding the Kew trails before moving out to the yarra flats section. I really miss the elevation/steepness of the southern trails..

Shakes you make that steep teardrop section look easy mate, the video doesn't show the 15m sheer cliff 30cm from your wheels ;)
Many moons ago I went off the edge on the no bikes trail past the studley boat house. Very sore and wet :) had to fish the bike off the bottom of the yarra.
I have much respect for the cliff trails around those parts!

I spent many years riding the Kew trails before moving out to the yarra flats section. I really miss the elevation/steepness of the southern trails..

Shakes you make that steep teardrop section look easy mate, the video doesn't show the 15m sheer cliff 30cm from your wheels ;)
Many moons ago I went off the edge on the no bikes trail past the studley boat house. Very sore and wet :) had to fish the bike off the bottom of the yarra.
I have much respect for the cliff trails around those parts!
Did the same thing many moons ago- moved from Abbotsford out to Ivanhoe. After 3-4mths it gave me the shits so moved back to Walmer/Young St, Kew so I'd be able to daily play on the remotely tech trails at this southern end.

If it makes you feel any better there's many a rider who has taken a big tumble off the no-bike section you're talking about, even my old man's done the scorpion off the trail opp the Convent! Was a good 15min spent recovering the bike & my Dad from the Yarra 20m down slope from the trail. My mother flipped her lid when I brought him home sodden & grazed (not her idea of an R&R weekend in Melbourne), "He's almost an old man. And an idiot. Why are you encouraging him!?"

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it makes you feel any better there's many a rider who has taken a big tumble off the no-bike section you're talking about, even my old man's done the scorpion off the trail opp the Convent! Was a good 15min spent recovering the bike & my Dad from the Yarra 20m down slope from the trail. My mother flipped her lid when I brought him home sodden & grazed (not her idea of an R&R weekend in Melbourne), "He's almost an old man. And an idiot. Why are you encouraging him!?"
Gee that's a shit spot to come off, lucky your old bloke walked out of there...

Beej1

Slightly off-dirt, but has anyone riding along the blvd been tack'd lately? Or know anyone/seen anyone who has? Got my commuter in at work and thinking of riding home along there.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
has been no tack reports recently, rode there last week. carry a tube and know where pumps are, otherwise seems ok at the moment.

Marx

Likes Dirt
Now that the Willsmere/Chandler park excavated pipe works has completed, that little bit of trail along the Guide Dogs fence line needs more MTBs through it.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I did my part yesterday, and based on the tyre marks through the tanbark near the new tree planting area, I wasn’t the only one.

For those using the Koonung trail be aware that PV has put a fence up at the end of the short ST section which heads down to Bulleen Road when heading away from the city. I.e. the fence stops you from heading straight up onto the bike path from the short cut / small air time piece of ST. You can still use the ST, you just have to ride around to the right hand side of the fence after the fun part. It’s a bit dangerous if you don’t know it’s there, the piping and mesh is black so not the easiest to see when punting down the hill.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Now that the Willsmere/Chandler park excavated pipe works has completed, that little bit of trail along the Guide Dogs fence line needs more MTBs through it.
True. The other side along the river has been well and truly fucked with the gravel path through it now. I won't be going that way again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hi Kwikee, You don't happen to fly RC helicopters by any chance do you?

Also General question. Ive been riding the southern sections for a while and decided to go searching for Hans loop further up the trail. Found what a couple of riders said was called Pink ribbon track.
Is this Hans loop under a different name?

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Hi Kwikee, You don't happen to fly RC helicopters by any chance do you?

Also General question. Ive been riding the southern sections for a while and decided to go searching for Hans loop further up the trail. Found what a couple of riders said was called Pink ribbon track.
Is this Hans loop under a different name?
Yep Hans is sometimes referred to as pink ribbon or candlebark loop

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Slightly off-dirt, but has anyone riding along the blvd been tack'd lately? Or know anyone/seen anyone who has? Got my commuter in at work and thinking of riding home along there.
Hi NP,

Rode there last night all clear but I try and stay right of the white line in several areas.

Got tacked last week however.