Yarra Trails regulars

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to think early was good but saw a big brown at westerfolds Friday about 8am, and I saw a Tiger under the Burke rd bridge one night about 11. I think its more to do with temp, although Friday was about 10deg when I saw the brown.
Agree casnell, anything over 10 degrees during spring summer autumn. I find warm early evenings in summer the most active. Last feed before bed i suppose.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Was waiting for the thread to turn towards the snake subject as I'd does every year. Saw my first this season at the teardrop Studley park Last week. 1mt long Tiger. It was a warm day around 3/4pm. He was fast and flashed off towards the bush.

redbruce

Eats Squid
what period of the day are snakes most active?
Browns and Tigers are diurnal (daylight) hunters but both can continue into warm evenings. On hot days will delay hunting until cooler part of day.

Being cold blooded they will start to get active as soon as the temp goes up in the morning and I've also seen tigers coiled up in sunny spots on track at 8am in summer (Westerfolds).

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Browns and Tigers are diurnal (daylight) hunters but both can continue into warm evenings. On hot days will delay hunting until cooler part of day.

Being cold blooded they will start to get active as soon as the temp goes up in the morning and I've also seen tigers coiled up in sunny spots on track at 8am in summer (Westerfolds).
Have seen a brown at Lysterfield at night. The fatigue of thinking every root, shadow, stick was another snake was truely horrifying.

Minlak

custom titis
Guys I will make your riding easier. Like the old adage you never hear the shot that kills you adopt the same approach to snakes.

You are never going to see the snake that bites you........

Ice Road Truckers had a pearl of wisdom the other week.... "You cant start living until you embrace dying"

*Carry a mobile phone
*Stop and do not move (use first aid if you have it of course)
*Wait for help

That's it easy as go and ride and enjoy.

*I have had snakes I didn't see but others did strike at me as I went past I wasn't stressed cause I didn't know.
*One of our "Group" got tagged on the shoe he didn't see that one either.
See the trend :) Chillax

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went out last night - yarra flats, tree in paddock loop is clear and so is the one further up that was across the single track.

get out for a ride tracks are in primo condition.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
huge thanks to the person who cut back the grass around Bruce's Loop. Massive effort and very much appreciated.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I’m guessing that it will be fine, it was all dry on the weekend prior to the rain, and the current sun / dry forecast for the next few days will have it looking mint.

A big thanks to the trail fairy who cut up the two makeshift rollovers around the Burke Rd billabong, and another big thanks to the trail fairy / berminator who did the work in Bruce’s.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Hey Melbourne Burners! Apologies for not reading the thread, the 894 pages are intimidating.

After being spoiled living in Canberra riding distance from Bruce Ridge, Majura and Stromlo I am moving to Melbourne for work. I hate driving to go riding if I don't have too, so I think I'll be spending a fair bit of time on the Yarra trails.

I'm going to be living around Richmond. Where is the best place to access these mythical trails from there? Are there many trails down that end or will I have to go to Heidelberg to find good stuff? I have Strava, but I don't know how to bring up the heatmaps without a premium account.

Thanks!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hey Melbourne Burners! Apologies for not reading the thread, the 894 pages are intimidating.

After being spoiled living in Canberra riding distance from Bruce Ridge, Majura and Stromlo I am moving to Melbourne for work. I hate driving to go riding if I don't have too, so I think I'll be spending a fair bit of time on the Yarra trails.

I'm going to be living around Richmond. Where is the best place to access these mythical trails from there? Are there many trails down that end or will I have to go to Heidelberg to find good stuff? I have Strava, but I don't know how to bring up the heatmaps without a premium account.

Thanks!
Welcome
Might I suggest you join a few group/ shop rides to get your bearings. The Ride Cycles do a Tuesday night, I know of a Wednesday evening and Summit do a Saturday afternoon one. I'm sure if you post here when you want to go- someone will join you and show you around.
Cross the bridge at the end of Gipps Street and veer left and simply follow your nose. Exploring the trails is half the fun.
None of the trails are designated MTB trails so be conscious of walkers.
You will want to explore many of the trail destinations outside Melbourne- Redhill, Smiths Gully, Lysterfield, Plenty Gorge, Wombat, You Yangs, Forest, Anglesea, and so on

cogs19

Likes Bikes
Spotted first snake of the season. I was on way to the yarra trails. It was lying across the path on Merri Creek trail just near Heidelberg rd (in between the bridge crossing and the sharp climb). It was a tiger, full size but pretty skinny. I imagine it's just come out of hibernation and still needs to eat. It was fairly placid - slowly moved off the path once I got within about 5 metres.