Yarra Trails regulars

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Melbourne Burners! Apologies for not reading the thread, the 894 pages are intimidating.

After being spoiled living in Canberra riding distance from Bruce Ridge, Majura and Stromlo I am moving to Melbourne for work. I hate driving to go riding if I don't have too, so I think I'll be spending a fair bit of time on the Yarra trails.

I'm going to be living around Richmond. Where is the best place to access these mythical trails from there? Are there many trails down that end or will I have to go to Heidelberg to find good stuff? I have Strava, but I don't know how to bring up the heatmaps without a premium account.

Thanks!
Pretty sure Summit do a shop ride or two, lots of yetis!

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure Summit do a shop ride or two, lots of yetis!
Do Summit usually just ride YT?

Just moved back here so pretty disconnected with the whole scene. Rode mullum the other day and it's absolute ass now.

Don't want to have to drive from ringwood to lysty every time I want a ride, so does anyone know if any local/easily ride-to-able spots exist in my area outside of YT?

I suppose there's also dandenong, but like YT, couldn't really make a quick 1/2hr ride out of it. There's also warrandyte but don't know the condition of it and the way there is sketchy.

The necessity of a road bike is becoming increasingly clear.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Just moved back here so pretty disconnected with the whole scene. Rode mullum the other day and it's absolute ass now.

Don't want to have to drive from ringwood to lysty every time I want a ride, so does anyone know if any local/easily ride-to-able spots exist in my area outside of YT?

I suppose there's also dandenong, but like YT, couldn't really make a quick 1/2hr ride out of it. There's also warrandyte but don't know the condition of it and the way there is sketchy.

Try contacting Warrandyte MTB club. They have a Facebook page...

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt

Where are you staying in Melbourne lou?
Hans is the closest loop unless you ride mullum ST.
Lysty has has a bit of work done since you've been gone. Worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
@forkingreat Got added to their group, will probably do some rides with them at some pt.

Where are you staying in Melbourne lou?
Hans is the closest loop unless you ride mullum ST.
Lysty has has a bit of work done since you've been gone. Worth a look

Heathmont. Great location but now thinking i gotta pick up the roady.

Rode hans the other day and it's just as good as I remember.

Lysty the other week when it was dry was fantastic. They did great work on Aneurysm and especially Follow Me. Mate was feeling crook so couldn't ride State Mtb which is a bugger.

So seems like if I want some local spots I'm gotta have to put the work in. Might have to pull the handful of mullum riders together to get a working bee going... Or just go full roadie

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
@forkingreat Got added to their group, will probably do some rides with them at some pt.

Heathmont. Great location but now thinking i gotta pick up the roady.

Rode hans the other day and it's just as good as I remember.

Lysty the other week when it was dry was fantastic. They did great work on Aneurysm and especially Follow Me. Mate was feeling crook so couldn't ride State Mtb which is a bugger.

So seems like if I want some local spots I'm gotta have to put the work in. Might have to pull the handful of mullum riders together to get a working bee going... Or just go full roadie
never go full roadie :wacko:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Get to know the silvan/Dandenong trails if you live in heathmont ninja. Can always ride up basin Olinda Rd ( gravel 1 in 20) and access from Olinda or go from the Mt Evelyn side

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trails are running really nice after the dump of rain a week ago.

Heads up though, it's snakes galore out there atm.. 3 in two rides, with a really pissy one on the st at westerfolds. Plenty of other riders mentioning them as well.

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
Get to know the silvan/Dandenong trails if you live in heathmont ninja. Can always ride up basin Olinda Rd ( gravel 1 in 20) and access from Olinda or go from the Mt Evelyn side

Hahah yes been meaning to do that. Ridden up 1/20 many times but never went about the trails up there or even the gravel.

The dirt there looks beautiful, very keen to ride. Only problem's all this road ridings gonna wreak havoc on the ardent. Miss living a minute ride from the trails

Last edited:

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Saw that one a week ago, the picture does not do it justice, huge. I think it will be ride around for a while.

If someone is feeling energetic could they also cut / pull out the grass coming out of the embankment just below the rock / cliff bit between Chandler and Pipe Bridge. It’s annoying me as I line up for the run up that section (yes, it’s a huge injustice, I know).

The heavy rain eroded certain sections of the Pipe Bridge to Bell Bird ST; however, it’s still ok.

Thanks to the trail fairy that cut the low branch on the tree towards the top of the piece of ST which links the boulie to the low side ST next to the Freeway bridge (between the PB and Bell Bird), and to the berminator in the Burke Rd Billabong.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about the one downstream that took half the cliff with it? That won't be an easy fix.
where's that one near?

i noticed riding yesterday from pipe bridge to westerfolds that the tracks are very dry and almost brittle - .

on a section to westerfolds there's a tree right across track at handle bar height, too large to move hopefully no one belting along on a night ride hits it.

al_

Likes Dirt
Just downstream from Bell Bird Park. The tree has ended up in the river and is trapping rubbish, so it was pretty nasty when I went past the other day.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lots of riders out last night, tracks bedding in, just getting faster and faster, I'm getting dizzy.
065-SamTigers-TigerTurnsToButter.jpg

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hopefully the wallies won't get their shotties out and go hunting.

its the typical fight-or-flight response.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had one big boy stand it's ground in Hans the other week. He shaped up, flexing and grunting. He was not a happy camper, must have thought I was cutting his lunch.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Having had a run in or two with them at Hans you would have to get very very close to have one attack you. Somehow I think the kangaroo isn't 100% to blame

Interstellar

Cannon Fodder
Sorry to jump topics, but what's this I hear about new 'legal' trails to be built in Tikalara Park in Templestowe?

Last edited: