Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
We had something very similar in Studley Park over the weekend. Stopped and got off the track to let a guy through, and he gave us a mouthful on his way. Script sounds identical to yours except this guy went with the environmental damage riders do, rather than hostility to walkers.

I spent a few minutes trying to talk him around and convince him we both wanted the same things, but he was just wanted to tell us about how much damage bikes do to their walking trails.

Disappointing given everybody else was happy to say hi and get on with having a nice day. Can't please everybody I guess...
There is one in every crowd.

We have new Rangers down this end of the Yarra who are responsible for the trails. Engagement with mtbers has been exceptional and there will be positive changes in the near future.

Parks cant do it on their own and need us to step up and be responsible and in turn- we could gain accessibility. We must continue to show that we are a responsible user group and tolerant of others. There is an informal code of conduct- basic things like stop and allow walkers to pass, stay on the trails, dont ride the trails when they are wet or damaged and no building of new trails.

What other things could be included to form a Code of Conduct for mtbing on these trails? If we were given legitimacy and authority to ride and manage the trails- what rules would we adopt/ accept/ self regulate?

Love your thoughts?

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
There is one in every crowd.

We have new Rangers down this end of the Yarra who are responsible for the trails. Engagement with mtbers has been exceptional and there will be positive changes in the near future.

Parks cant do it on their own and need us to step up and be responsible and in turn- we could gain accessibility. We must continue to show that we are a responsible user group and tolerant of others. There is an informal code of conduct- basic things like stop and allow walkers to pass, stay on the trails, dont ride the trails when they are wet or damaged and no building of new trails.

What other things could be included to form a Code of Conduct for mtbing on these trails? If we were given legitimacy and authority to ride and manage the trails- what rules would we adopt/ accept/ self regulate?

Love your thoughts?
Hey JD, hope all is well mate.

Best place to start with Code of Conduct and other trail related detail is here: https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

Stay well.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not wanting to derail your thing JD but it's nice to know that the YT will never fail to throw surprises at you.

I was on the way upstream today, just coming out into the clearing before Banksia St bridge & bumped into a couple of mums, both with prams, one of which had twins side by side. Stopped for a bit of a chat & it seems they were trying to find a short cut to Heide, heading downstream into the Banksia no go zone on ST. I could't quite direct them to Heide but managed to persuade them that wheeling the Bugaboos into the muddy ST was not a good idea, whether they witnessed any 'action' or not.

You could never accuse the YTs of being dull.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The issue with a code of conduct is that it is totally voluntary. The YTs are a bit like this place, there are no real world consequences for being a bit of a fuckwit.

A good way to get people on side is to show them what they are working for. Small posters or notes telling people that a certain area is off limits and that if people obey the restrictions then they get access to some new bro-bra enduro trails in 6 months’ time might help. There needs to be a carrot to incentivise good behaviour because there is no stick.

Have said that you’re not going to get 100% compliance and if the ‘carrot’ part of the arrangement isn’t delivered then people will just go back to riding whatever they want.

Can any of the discussions with the ranger be discussed here to give a flavour the way forward? Obviously, anything said is not locked in and just represents the current train of thought.

In terms of the YT's not being dull, the Hans axe wielding maniac is new.
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sh...ersonal-safety-warning-Candlebark-Park-trails

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Update- very early stage.

Parks have a plan/ strategy for Shared Use and MTBing trails along the Yarra. They have appointed a number of Rangers to lead the project. All the existing trails have been mapped and a first draft proposal (for lower section) has been sent to senior Parks management for approval. The Rangers in charge of this trail project are waiting for that approval before releasing information/ details/ public engagement. I imagine once the trails have been approved for MTB/ mixed use, they will need to be signposted with trail rules/information and maps.

In the mean time we can all help by simply following the basic rules of any trail.

Give way to walkers
Stay on the trail
Seek alternative route when the trail is wet or damaged
No digging

Sorry I don't know anymore than that at this stage but the future looks bright.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good work bigjd, you're probably only conveying this from an mtb perspective, we must remember not to define it as us 'the evil doers' and the rest as having no impact and no obligations - not to mention parks poor lack of responsible management over the years 10, hmm maybe 20 .... in maintaining a safe space for all users, take the exposed star pickets and the lack of controls on erosion caused by water flows in multiple areas of park descending down to river, not good.

then you have the trail runner obligation giving way to walkers (yes grumpy traill runner, we know who you are :baby:) dogs off leash: a hazard to both wildlife and users., illegal parties ... responsible for litter, some tree damage.

weed infestation (hello parks), lack of erosion controls, that's the biggest issue in my opinion and over to parks on why that's been ignored - funny how the users are to blame..

anyway its a peaceful place and I'll ride home along trails tonight, happy days!

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have said about the most antisocial behaviour which is seen on the network is the various beats. Parks/ councils don't seem all that fazed by it though.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
All the trails between Chandler and Richmond are illegal. If Parks had their way there wouldnt be any trails besides a few short gravel loops around the Boathouse. The fact is that they are there and are used by different groups. Parks are looking to approve trails, get them signposted and then hand over mantainance to nominated groups.
Parks don't have the resources to build or manage these illegal trails for us or any other users.
At the moment MTBers have zero rights along these trails despite the fact that we are the ones that maintain them (keep them open).
The fact that they are looking at approving trails for off road cycling is a massive step forward.
Let just wait and see what happens in the next 6 months. First draft is in for approval.
If bikes are allowed and follow a code of conduct then it limits the hassle with other users.
As for the beats- just build a trail right through the middle and it disappears. The police are very proactive about this up at Annulus Billabong/ Banksia Street Heidelberg.
We just need to lead by example I reckon.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Council plans to build a high ropes course smack bang in the banksia beat area closer to the bridge area. Hopefully the ST in there can remain and the village people move elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes
The issue with a code of conduct is that it is totally voluntary. The YTs are a bit like this place, there are no real world consequences for being a bit of a fuckwit.

A good way to get people on side is to show them what they are working for. Small posters or notes telling people that a certain area is off limits and that if people obey the restrictions then they get access to some new bro-bra enduro trails in 6 months’ time might help. There needs to be a carrot to incentivise good behaviour because there is no stick.

Have said that you’re not going to get 100% compliance and if the ‘carrot’ part of the arrangement isn’t delivered then people will just go back to riding whatever they want.

Can any of the discussions with the ranger be discussed here to give a flavour the way forward? Obviously, anything said is not locked in and just represents the current train of thought.

In terms of the YT's not being dull, the Hans axe wielding maniac is new.
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sh...ersonal-safety-warning-Candlebark-Park-trails

The real issue with trails in australia is that the parks people start off anti anything mechanised. Sure there are one or two rangers who accommodate us but the whole dept starts off saying no.

If the dept could be sued for access (like what happens in the US) then there would be a lot more respect shown to all users - bikers, walkers, pramers even. A simple rule where speed yields works wonders I find on yt. But if a walker fails to say hello or smile after being greeted with a friendly hello then they might hear the word fuckwit under my breath. Then a full barrage if they arc up. The trails are not mine but they also are not the walkers.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear you MelbRider..
I was clearing a tree that fell down on the yarra trail today on a sweeping downhill corner.. Several walkers went by saying 'gee it's windy thats a decent sized tree' or words to that affect.. Yet it didn't even cross the minds of any of them to lend a hand even though you couldn't walk on the trail.. They are happy plodding along, , smoking durries with their dog off lead pissing everywhere.. Also walking smack bang in the middle of a shared trail.. It's these types of entitled 'the rules don't apply to me or my dog' asshats that parks/council need to clamp down on. Rather than sign posting some kids dirt jumps or a mtb trail that are in the middle of a weed infested old stock paddock with zero cultural significance.... Unfortunately for Parks it seems that any land under their control is automatically environmentally sensitive.. Some of it just isn't anymore and they should have systems in place to recognise this..
Anyways rant over, I stopped several times today for walkers/bird watchers which were all very pleasant and friendly..

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
All the trails between Chandler and Richmond are illegal. If Parks had their way there wouldnt be any trails besides a few short gravel loops around the Boathouse. The fact is that they are there and are used by different groups. Parks are looking to approve trails, get them signposted and then hand over mantainance to nominated groups.
Parks don't have the resources to build or manage these illegal trails for us or any other users.
At the moment MTBers have zero rights along these trails despite the fact that we are the ones that maintain them (keep them open).
The fact that they are looking at approving trails for off road cycling is a massive step forward.
We just need to lead by example I reckon.
Sounding positive for that end of town.

Last edited:

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Lysty is doing really well this winter thanks to the work the LDTR guys have put in. You'll be swimming if its seen some decent rain the same day but its hero dirt the next day. Was out there yesterday and it was perfect.

Blores was mint the VES weekend, was loose and dusty the weekend just gone.

Travis.

cinnyis

Squid
How are the conditions around Bruce's loop at the moment? I haven't ridden the Yarra trails for over a year due to being pregnant and now looking after a little baby. I'll be getting a rare few hours off this Sunday afternoon and I'm wondering if I ride the area near Bruce's loop or drive a little further to go to Hans loop.
As much as I love Hans loop I'm keen to ride Bruce's since it's closer to home and flatter for an unfit me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk