Yarra Trails regulars

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What"s happening near the Big Dipper? Some crazy persons going mad with a chainsaw removing rollovers that have been there for years. I wish they'd use their energy for goodness not evil and remove the trees down in Bruces loop that are too big for my saw...

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes
What"s happening near the Big Dipper? Some crazy persons going mad with a chainsaw removing rollovers that have been there for years. I wish they'd use their energy for goodness not evil and remove the trees down in Bruces loop that are too big for my saw...

Where is the Big Dipper?

Wasn't me anyway

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
More to the point is there a hand drawn map of Yarra trails so I know wtf you're all talking about?
I don't know if any map for the ST but the MYT is on all the cycling maps. Strava is your best friend for maps and google maps have most of the ST on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
That's exactly what I thought last night having not ridden YTs for some time hitting into areas expecting the obstacles that had been there for years to be greeted with a smooth path and releasing a sigh of disappointment. The trees in Bruce's were good fun tho jumping on a 26in SS, had to concentrate.

I dare say it's the old adage, "a little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous", is occurring on YTs meaning hv chainsaw and other tools and because they themselves can't navigate an obstacle they remove it.

We've encountered the same type of activity dumbing down of trails out NthEast so have worked to re-instate most of those largely naturally forming obstacles.

Good luck here.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great that you two meet- both good eggs. Looking forward to catching up with you Sane- are you working somewhere- coffee?
Yeah it's about time for a spin mate. I've been trying to career shift but not having a lot of luck, might have to go back to coffee with my tail between my legs. Been enjoying rediscovering the YT during the week though

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah it's about time for a spin mate. I've been trying to career shift but not having a lot of luck, might have to go back to coffee with my tail between my legs. Been enjoying rediscovering the YT during the week though
you dont have to make the coffee- just drink it with me. Working 9-5 ATM so just the weekends. Did Cullen let you in on a few additions?

big gags

Likes Bikes
Got out on the YT today for the first time in ages!! Found the new (or at least newish) section from a bit before Bonds Rd (outbound) that cuts down to the right and links up with the track paralleling the path just before Odyssey house.....nice bit of trail work there - good job whoever put it in!!! I was solo today on the SS and decided to look and see what I could find. Half way up the gravel road climb from Fitzsimmons Lane bridge I took the path to the right as I had never been that way before - wasn't too hopeful as it didn't look like much at the start but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a good couple of km of pretty nice (and well ridden in) single track that has obviously been there for a while!! I ended up out at Beasleys for coffee and then did the pretty new loop that's on the side of the hill just before there (did that a couple of months ago the last time I rode out there). After the loop I decided to explore the firetrail that follows the power lines and was again surprised that it turned into a couple of km of pretty nice single track that followed along the river and then crossed a small bridge and came out at the gate that I have ridden past a bunch of times!! So three new sections of single track today (for me anyway) - pretty happy with that!!!

I got back to where I usually start Hans Loop (just off the MYT up from the bridge over to the Main Road Roundabout sports fields) and I was going to loop around to the right to start heading home. It was 1145h or so by then and pretty sunny and as I went around the first bit of a gentle corner to the right some movement caught my eye (it was under my left arm) and after riding about 10 m or so further I turned back around and there was a snake that was about 400 mm or so from the LHS of the track and it was reared up like a cobra!!! I sat there and watched it for about 20 seconds or so before it went back to the ground and slowly started moving away from the path. I rode back past it (it was about 2 metres from the path by then) and as I went past I hissed at it (like I would at a cat) and it did a 180 degree spin and reared up again ready to strike!!! It was the most aggressive snake I have seen and I think it was a tiger although I couldn't see any stripes (it was close to water and about the right colour from what I saw).

I always have a compression bandage in my Camelbak but was glad that I didn't have to use it today!!

Anyway - the weather was great and it felt awesome to be out riding for fun on a weekday as it's the first leave I have had since I had a couple of weeks off at Christmas. I'm heading up to Bright this weekend (wife is doing Spartan Race) and I am planning on taking road bike and SS mtb - going to ride up Hotham one day on the road bike (at least as far as I can get as there might still be snow?) and then I am going to ride the mtb on the other day in preparation for the Bright 24 hour in November that I am having a crack at solo......can't wait!!

Gags

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Gidday BG

Hey Big Gags

glad you found some of the cool new trails. The Yarra Trails are always changing slowly as different folks put in effort and with the seasons. Is your SS the Bigtop or do you have something else? How is the Larry?

Look forward to catching up for a ride soon. Im mainly down the Boat house end these days or out at Plenty Gorge (love that place).

JD

Big JD

Wheel size expert
my kid almost stepped on a Tiger near the Boathouse. The long grass along the trail edge makes it harder to see them- unless they are actually on the trail.

I have asked Parks (Yarra Bend) if volunteers can cut the grass back. Should hear back next week as the Range in charge is on leave.

big gags

Likes Bikes
Hey Big Gags

glad you found some of the cool new trails. The Yarra Trails are always changing slowly as different folks put in effort and with the seasons. Is your SS the Bigtop or do you have something else? How is the Larry?

Look forward to catching up for a ride soon. Im mainly down the Boat house end these days or out at Plenty Gorge (love that place).

JD
JD - was on the Karate Monkey SS but still getting out on the Big Top regularly (now 1x10). I have actually entered the Bright 24hr for next month as a solo and I am doing it on the SS. Plan is to use the Karate Monkey but I am in the process of changing the dropouts on the Big Top and I am borrowing a SS rear wheel from a mate and will take it up as my 2nd bike. I am planning on running 32x19 on the KM (my usual gear) but debating whether to run the same on the BT or to run 32x20 and basically have it as a bail-out gear if things start to get too hard (or I could just take a box of tissues, dry my eyes, and HTFU!!!).

Will let you know how the BT goes SS once I get it up and running!!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
JD - was on the Karate Monkey SS but still getting out on the Big Top regularly (now 1x10). I have actually entered the Bright 24hr for next month as a solo and I am doing it on the SS. Plan is to use the Karate Monkey but I am in the process of changing the dropouts on the Big Top and I am borrowing a SS rear wheel from a mate and will take it up as my 2nd bike. I am planning on running 32x19 on the KM (my usual gear) but debating whether to run the same on the BT or to run 32x20 and basically have it as a bail-out gear if things start to get too hard (or I could just take a box of tissues, dry my eyes, and HTFU!!!).

Will let you know how the BT goes SS once I get it up and running!!
I ran it SS for a while- it rocks. You might find you can run the same gearing - BT might be a lighter setup- so better to ride when you are getting tied.

riding for 24 hours on a SS- you are inspiring and alittle messed up.