Yellow Box - Possibly legal?

sedifus

Likes Dirt
So I've emailed Parks Vic about some legal trails in the Yellow Box area, asking about their stance o the trails and if they'd support fixing them.
While they say it's not legal it has been acknowledged that there is a need for something of the sort in the area and I've been told that the Ranger in charge for the area is currently working on a proposal.
I thought I'd put this up to keep people informed and get some more support.

Last edited:

sedifus

Likes Dirt
oops didn't realise emails were there. But i suppose if someone needs to contact them they're there. Did names just incase they didn't want their names out there.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Plenty Gorge

So no news since last year?

I would at least like to get the trails that are there into some sort of working order. Even if that just means trail-marking tape and a few regular XC riders.

The river crossing is a bit dodgy at the moment, the past couple of months the water has been up pretty high. So I've been staying in the part of the park nearer to Greensborough Hwy - but even those trails need some surgery, and I am only one person!

Glad to see it's on people's minds though. I know there is good riding further afield, but this is so close to my home that I can't resist the temptation.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Nope, no news. We just keep being told we shouldn't do anything because the ranger (who was moved to Gippsland i think) is working on a proposal.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Shame to hear about the loss of a useful contact in that ranger.

I suppose it's not likely to be a high priority with council because of the potential risks. Walkers don't usually hurt themselves too badly...

Anyone who still rides in Plenty Gorge Park (which is, of course, no-one because it may not be allowed), PM me so we can share what we know.

Cheers,
Emerson

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Plenty Gorge Park - discussions with Parks Vic

The Ranger in Charge at Plenty Gorge Park has initiated discussions about MTB in the area.

I indicated that I am interested in coordinating discussions between interested mountain-bikers and Parks Vic, and also in consolidating the process for use statewide. The Ranger said that Parks Vic is currently developing guidelines for mountain-biking in their lands - but even without those guidelines in place yet, we should be starting talks ourselves. I made mention of the similar issues at Smiths Gully, Westerfolds & Candlebark Parks, and how it would be better if the same approach could be taken across the whole state by Parks Vic and MTBers alike. Barry said that he would try to include the Rangers for Westerfolds & Smiths Gully in discussions when considering how best to move forward in the short term.

The Parks Vic Regional Planner, Garry French, who apparently has a 20-year history with Plenty Gorge, will also be present at a meeting which Barry hopes to schedule for a Saturday some time in the near future. The Ranger said that Garry was proactive in similar discussions in the past, but now has a role which is more aligned with getting something done about it. He asked if I could arrange for representatives from the various groups of mountain-bikers to be present at this meeting, and I said I would certainly do my best.

I believe that people we need on board include:
1. 'Cowpat',
2. The person/s who recently built trails around the eastern edge of the Park, near Oatlands Road,
3. George Couyant (who is currently handling negotiations at Hans Loop in Westerfolds/Candlebark),
4. Super Cycle Watsonia, Walkers Wheels & Cycle House,
5. Smiths Gully MBC, Yarra Ranges MBC, Murrindindi MBC, You Yangs MBC, Geelong MBC, Forrest MBC, and any other clubs who have been dealing with Parks Vic,
6. MTBA, IMBA.

Anyway, this is where we start. If you can provide me with contact details for any of the people or groups listed above, please pass them on by PM ASAP, so I can get them involved in this process. Same goes for the rest of us =)

Cheers,
--
Emerson (on behalf of MTB Melbourne)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Time for a grave dig.....

I just got off the phone with Parks Ranger Barry Coombes regarding the attached notice. This relates to the jumps in the Greensborough side of the park near Fitzjohns Drv, and what was to happen with them. Quite frankly some are down right dangerous with steel posts sticking 6 inches out of the ground on the sides of the landers, some much higher, and sharp branches sticking out of the side of the tack offs. I've had confirmed that most of the doubles will be turned into table tops to elimniate their culpability, the remainder will either stay or be destroyed.

If you have anything to do with these trails and jumps, give Barry a call on the attached number, if you're too young to call, get your parents to call. He'd like imput and feedback and assistance.....not to hang anyone out to dry. This is a really good oppurtunity to get what you want out there. He was even warming to the idea of having stuff built within their guidelines. Work will commence next Monday weather permitting. If you know the kids that are out there riding, get them on board.

IMG_1839small.jpg

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Things we love about riding in the Gorge

Some pics from my scouting over the last couple of days, to lighten things up a bit:

20130901_112224 [800x600].jpg
20130901_113418 [800x600].jpg
20130901_112234 [800x600].jpg
20130901_111619 [800x600].jpg
20130901_111406 [800x600].jpg
20130901_104926 [800x600].jpg
20130901_104931 [800x600].jpg
20130901_105520 [800x600].jpg
20130901_113655 [800x600].jpg
20130902_185445 [800x600].jpg

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Emerson

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Cheers Emerson,

I'll also have some snaps of the work Monday. All seems positive from Parks and aimed for safety rather than doing riding.

We'll see how it goes

sedifus

Likes Dirt
So Parks thought it was going to rain yesterday and so the work has been re-scheduled to Wednesday.

With the week's forecast for rain we may not see anything happen.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
So Parks thought it was going to rain yesterday and so the work has been re-scheduled to Wednesday.

With the week's forecast for rain we may not see anything happen.
Glad I didn't go over and wait for them to show up today then.

Today's rain storm hasn't happened, so the forecast might change too!

Cheers :dance:

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Reposting from the other thread (http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?250667-Plenty-Gorge-and-Parks-Vic), will be my last post here as the other gets a lot more traffic. To keep up to date there is also a facebook group for local riders: https://www.facebook.com/groups/237754373039580/

Risk management works have been and done.

A number of jumps have been removed, the remainder have had either the lip or the landing moved so that it has become a table-top. Already a lot of unhappiness from the local kids as now all of the jumps are to flat, with no landing, and there is no flow to any of the tracks.

Here's a pic of the most well used jump, the main one at the top end of the track, and as you can see the distance from take off to landing has halved. Rest of the jumps can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/WMIMP

LzE13Nu.jpg