AM Yep, another rune...

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So i am a bit of a banshee fan boi, i had been riding a 2014 rune v2 but felt that it was a touch too small. I always had the dropper at maximum extension and longed to slam it to the collar. I was looking a a new frame in a larger size and came very close to purchasing a secondhand nomad 3. In a moment of weakness i thought i would shoot some emails off for pricing on a rune frame without shock, stu @ defcon gave me an excellent price so i ended up pulling the trigger on the new rune (i am a sucker for both banshee frames and warranty). Ended up going down the boost route as i wanted something somewhat future proof. Really wanted a boost diamond fork but got a deal I couldn't turn down on the cane creek helm fork.

I sold some bits off my old rig and bough some new boost bits and a longer dropper, all up it cost me about $900 to change from what i was running to this new beast.

Haven't had a chance to ride it as i have been flat out at work but i hope it is a better fit for me.

Here's what i ended up with

Banshee rune 2018 xl (boost dropouts)
DVO jade shock
Cane creek helm fork (170mm)
Hope tech 35w wheels (boost)
Hope floating rotors (203mm)
Hope tech v4 brakes
Hope AM stem (35mm)
Raceface SixC handlebars (35mm)
Shimano m8000 XT cassette, chain, derailleur, cranks, bottom bracket
One up narrow wide 32t chain ring
KS Lev integra w/ southpaw (150mm)
Fizik tundra 2 saddle

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Looks like the last one, cept its blacker and the forks are on backwards...

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Jade, helm, V4's, that's a baller of a build!

Curious as to a 2018 vs a V2 ride report, I miss my Rune, awesome frames.

Edit: whats the shock size, 216x63 as the V2's or has it gone to another standard :/ banshee website only has 2017's on there.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Jade, helm, V4's, that's a baller of a build!

Curious as to a 2018 vs a V2 ride report, I miss my Rune, awesome frames.

Edit: whats the shock size, 216x63 as the V2's or has it gone to another standard :/ banshee website only has 2017's on there.
It is a 2017 I'm pretty sure. If 2018, there are no changes as the 2017 was the new incarnation.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck thats gorgeous.

Tbh I'd rather not hear about the helm, I just bought some 36 RC2's and am quite happy with them atm.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Fuck me.
I still had a little bit of stoke when I walk into my garage & see my bike on the stand. But you just killed that.

(AJA - really nice bike mate)

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the bike love. I'm pretty stoked how she turned out.

Coming off a mattoc and a pike the helm feels like it has a lot more stiction off the top, but purely in a parking lot test. At 100kg i feel a lot more confident with a stiffer chassis even though i am a hack and probably couldn't tell the difference anyway...

I am taking it up to ignition festival so will get a proper run and ride report after then.

Was told by Defcon it is a 2018 frame which I believe is pretty much identical to the 2017 just has the stealth routing lower to allow for longer travel dropper posts (170+). The shock size remains the same 216x63.

Compared to the 2014 the top tube tapers in quite a lot and is heaps thinner by the seatpost, the gusset to the seat tube is a hydroformed tube, missing a gusset down by the bottom bracket and the drop outs are a lot shorter with the inclusion of a dt swiss rms axle.

Yuley, i'm pretty sure The Azza is taking it if i die but i'll put you down as nil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
That's a very subtle bling bike!

I'll keep an eye out for it at Ignition, that'll be nice at Falls!

And you can't leave it to TheAzza, it'll be too big for him....

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a couple of rides in on the helm. Recommended pressure is half of your body weight in pounds. So i chucked in 110psi. It felt almost rigid after equalising the positive and negative chambers of the air spring. So i reduced the pressure to 75psi and rode it like that. Fork seems to perform pretty well on comm games descent at lysterfield on the jumps as it was quite smooth. At red hill today it seems to pack up over repeated hits and was riding quite low in it's travel. I adjusted the volume so it is at it's factory settings with no volume reduction as i still had about 20mm of travel up my sleeve. Decided to have a play around with pressure in the positive and negative chambers of the air spring. Just set the shock up with 110psi in the negative chamber and 90 in the positive. Seems a lot plusher off the top compared to 110 in both chambers. Measured the stanchion to see if any travel was lost with the 20psi difference in the two chambers but it was all good. Taking it back to red hill tomorrow to see how it performs. Set the hsc and lsc to full open and plan on adding as required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk