You learn something new everyday...

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes it sounds rather cliche` but I really like the idea that we as humans are constantly learning. Whether you know it or not we learn, figure things out or become aware of new things on a daily basis and this is what really excites me. I don't know about you guys but I know that as I've grown older I now make a conscious effort to try and understand the mechanical operations of everything that surrounds me.

Today I learnt:
-how to pull apart/put together and maintain a chemical dosing pump
-change/replace the oil and short and long oil filters in moto

Now it's your turn. What has everyone else learnt? I intend this to be a pretty light hearted thread so don't be afraid to post, even if it is pretty simple.

Note: it can be anything, not just mechanical.

RCOH

Eats Squid
I learnt that Marcus Trescothick's Autobigraphy is called 'coming back to me' - and now I am trying to forget it as it serves my life no purpose.

I also learnt that the Deputy Serjeant-At-Arms at NSW Parliament is in charge of allowing filming within NSW parliament house & that NSW parliament owns all footage shot within NSW parliament (upper or lower houses) remains the property of NSW parliament no matter who actually shoots the footage.

edit: say the above sentence 10 times fast...

Matt H

Eats Squid
I learnt that opening a ginger beer cap can cut your finger up real bad.

I still have no idea how it happened though - removed cap > stinging in finger > look down > blood everywhere.

LIAM?!

Banned
I learnt about the Regulations of media, all about the ratings, how they are done. Productive day.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
it may bore you but i learnt the origins of the world 'clue' today. As in, give me a clue to figure out this puzzle'

Fascinating

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it may bore you but i learnt the origins of the world 'clue' today. As in, give me a clue to figure out this puzzle'

Fascinating
Great stuff. I learnt where the origins of the word 'gypt' came from. As in 'you payed $100 for a carton?? you got gypt!'. It derives from the word 'Egypt'. When our soldiers were over there they would trade with the local merchants and get ripped off.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Great stuff. I learnt where the origins of the word 'gypt' came from. As in 'you payed $100 for a carton?? you got gypt!'. It derives from the word 'Egypt'. When our soldiers were over there they would trade with the local merchants and get ripped off.
I thought it was jipped>gypped>getting ripped off by gypsies.

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
I learnt that opening a ginger beer cap can cut your finger up real bad.

I still have no idea how it happened though - removed cap > stinging in finger > look down > blood everywhere.
CAt food'll cut ya up noice too. One minute your opening a tin of the most disgusting thing known to man, next thing you actually feel metal inside your finger, the long wait of, hmmm.... You reckon if i pull that out quick it'll cut more than slow? Which hurts most?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
i learnt how to change my brake pads on my car, and that VX pads do not a VS.. i also learn how to re trim my own roof lining! i now no longer have a saggy roof.!

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i learnt..............that my bank account will empty very quickly near the end of the year.
:p

also learnt........not much at school.