You yangs cressy descent track 13

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hope that bloke on the 29er who face planted made it home safely, he was excellent at facial bleeding - although he got off very lucky/lightly.

After changing some of the features on the track there should really be signage at every new spot - really obvious signage, that bloke didn't know the track had changed from when he was last there and got caught out.

On a side note I am really struggling on a DH to maintain enough speed to actually clear some of the jumps, should have taken the AM bike on sunday.

Also ended up with a broken finger from a 5km gumby crash... wife was not impressed :yell:. Wonder if my $5 day licence covers that.
I am the same. Though I have an old, heavy 06 DH comp. And I am usually half dead by the time I reach the top of the dressy hill. Lol.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
All of the new jumps were fine/fun. something to work up to if you aren't confident.
The only reason you needed to pedal a bit into them was due to the strong head wind. On a low wind day they will be fine.
Never even noticed "the rock". As with every trail in the world, you should do first run at casual speed incase things have changed, trees down etc.
I say good work youies trail crew!!
Same, I never noticed it the last time I was running greasy. I only noticed it when I discovered me and it were about to get real intimate. Lol.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
My first run was fairly cruisy, but knowing the jumps were around the next corner I cranked into it. Also knowing that last section is highway and always been super fast it was very unexpected to encounter that rock, especially just before the 3 jumps...

I'm not complaining, I know it's there and can ride accordingly, but considering how close I, and evidently a few others came to polaxing themselves on it, and how fast that section is, it's a big accident waiting to happen...

I love the work that goes on out there and ride there often, but im just calling a spade a spade.

Faeros

Likes Bikes
That rock that everyone is discussing really did a number on my friend.

He basically hit it at his full pace. Snapped his left lower on his forks in half, bent his brand new left hand side pedal (only put on that morning) about 45dg down, destroyed his front wheel (I was surprised it still spun around) and most likely shredded the inside of his crank arm on the left.

He walked away with nothing more than very very slight concussion. I was about 3 meters from him when he hit it. Was nasty. Too bad I didnt get it on video :drama:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Sounds like I got off REAL easy on that.

I only had a scratch at the top of the stanchions, a few bruises and scrapes.

When I hit, I was sure I would have buckles the rim and bent something.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
I'm yet to get over to the Youies and check out the new trail features.:drama: Without knowing what the upgraded Cressy's looks like and how THE ROCK is situated, could it be that people are not taking the time to do a couple of sighting runs to get use to the track before getting their race face on? :whip: I'm hoping to get over to the Youies in the next weekend or two and check out the trails.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I'm yet to get over to the Youies and check out the new trail features.:drama: Without knowing what the upgraded Cressy's looks like and how THE ROCK is situated, could it be that people are not taking the time to do a couple of sighting runs to get use to the track before getting their race face on? :whip: I'm hoping to get over to the Youies in the next weekend or two and check out the trails.
I thing that might be the case. Some people just going all in without taking the time to run the trail relaxed to see what is where. In my case, I did the slow run and didn't even notice the rock and I only ended up on it because I stuffed up the slight right bend 2 corners earlier. Good motivation to not stuff up in future. :)

Has anyone provided feed back to YYMTB about their concerns regarding the track design? :boink:
I haven't, but that's because I am pretty noob so I suspect I would get flamed by others who would just tell me to go ride Lysterfield.... with I do... :p

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Has anyone provided feed back to YYMTB about their concerns regarding the track design? :boink:
The trail fairies out at the YY's have been provided feedback by many people about such issues, if you read the YYMTBINC FaceCrap site you will see that they put these obsticles in to stop riders making the lines wider by cutting corners and going around features. They spend enough time out there building and repairing the normal trails, I'm sure they dont want to spend their time fixing trails because people ride around the harder stuff. With that said, these boulders are pretty close to the trails.

ajay

Knowing its there isn't so much of an issue as avoiding it is. It's on the fastest part of the track and at speed (I was cranking to gather speed for the doubles) it's damn easy to slide into. I nearly hit it 3 times in a row, and I knew it was there.... Anyway, I'll have a chat to trav if I see him out there.

In the meantime, stay safe people:)

Beej1

Knowing its there isn't so much of an issue as avoiding it is.
If I had to guess, and going by the fact that subsequent runs resulted in you also hitting this rock, I would guess you're describing Target Fixation (wikipedia).

About 4 or 5 years ago 3 friends and I were pinning it down Cressy in a very tight formation as you do when you're being stupid, and somewhere along the highest speed section at the bottom the guy in front of me hit a rut and got wobbly so I edged to to the left to avoid crashing into him. I misjudged speed/direction/ability and went straight into the branches of a tree that were very close to the trail back then, and still have the scars of that encounter.

In addition, the guy about 30cm behind me followed my line and crashed into me, falling to my right into the guy in front who'd slowed down. Then the guy up back crashed on top of those two.

It was, quite literally, a pile-up. Dust everywhere, one guy walking around winded and in shock, sucking down big ones. Me bleeding everywhere. The other two with some grazes. And eventually, all of us pissing ourselves laughing. It has become known as "the Cressy pile-up" since then.

Anyway ... for at least a year afterwards, literally every time I rode Cressy and tried to maintain speed in the same spot, I would crash into that same tree. Again. Again. Again. It literally felt like some kind of black hole, sucking me straight into it.

I finally figured out that I was looking directly at it each time thinking: "That fucking tree" as I headed towards it. I got to the bottom one day without hitting it, that I realised I forgot I'd even passed it, then consciously avoided looking at it next time, and hey presto. Problem gone.

ajay

If I had to guess, and going by the fact that subsequent runs resulted in you also hitting this rock, I would guess you're describing Target Fixation (wikipedia).

About 4 or 5 years ago 3 friends and I were pinning it down Cressy in a very tight formation as you do when you're being stupid, and somewhere along the highest speed section at the bottom the guy in front of me hit a rut and got wobbly so I edged to to the left to avoid crashing into him. I misjudged speed/direction/ability and went straight into the branches of a tree that were very close to the trail back then, and still have the scars of that encounter.

In addition, the guy about 30cm behind me followed my line and crashed into me, falling to my right into the guy in front who'd slowed down. Then the guy up back crashed on top of those two.

It was, quite literally, a pile-up. Dust everywhere, one guy walking around winded and in shock, sucking down big ones. Me bleeding everywhere. The other two with some grazes. And eventually, all of us pissing ourselves laughing. It has become known as "the Cressy pile-up" since then.

Anyway ... for at least a year afterwards, literally every time I rode Cressy and tried to maintain speed in the same spot, I would crash into that same tree. Again. Again. Again. It literally felt like some kind of black hole, sucking me straight into it.

I finally figured out that I was looking directly at it each time thinking: "That fucking tree" as I headed towards it. I got to the bottom one day without hitting it, that I realised I forgot I'd even passed it, then consciously avoided looking at it next time, and hey presto. Problem gone.
Haha yeah you're not alone! I've not suffered as severe affects as you describe but it's certainly true that "where you look is where you go".

That said, I don't think that is really the issue we are getting at either. It's more to do with the margin for error. Hammering through there is really threading the needle, there's not a lot of room to move!

Maybe if people were cutting the track in that point, they could put in a step down that lets you legitimately cut the corner!? :behindsofa:

ADD

Likes Dirt
Haha yeah you're not alone! I've not suffered as severe affects as you describe but it's certainly true that "where you look is where you go".

That said, I don't think that is really the issue we are getting at either. It's more to do with the margin for error. Hammering through there is really threading the needle, there's not a lot of room to move!

Maybe if people were cutting the track in that point, they could put in a step down that lets you legitimately cut the corner!? :behindsofa:
Solution: if its that bad then apply brakes. Everyone's skills should match the speed at which they can ride the bike.

ajay

Solution: if its that bad then apply brakes. Everyone's skills should match the speed at which they can ride the bike.
Missing the point much?

I'm happy to ride it, I've already said that.

Im out.

Faeros

Likes Bikes
From my own point of view the only problem with the rock is not the rock itself. It is the way that they have built a pump over were the roots used to be. That part used to be flat with the roots coming into the off camber section. Now as you come out of the berm immediately prior it feels like no matter how hard I pump over the section I find the bike slightly drifting towards the rock just from the direction you enter the slight bend.

Maybe its just me going too fast through that section (albeit I havent hit the rock bad but I have clipped it) but thats the feeling I get, and thats with very fresh tyres on the bike.