You Yangs MTB Park

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Track Closures

Hi guys just letting you know Track 10 and 13 will be closed due to rain damage until further notice.:(
Cheers Dave.

indica

Serial flasher
You get a lot too then?
First time I have seen streams flowing down Tarrengower was this year, be nice if the rain stopped now.

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
You get a lot too then?
First time I have seen streams flowing down Tarrengower was this year, be nice if the rain stopped now.
Yeah, mate i have never seen the You Yangs as wet as they are in all the time i have been riding there, the water is just seeping up from the ground, was still running hard at the end of the day.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah, mate i have never seen the You Yangs as wet as they are in all the time i have been riding there, the water is just seeping up from the ground, was still running hard at the end of the day.
How did that affect the ride day? Did it still go ahead? I imagine that if it did, several riders thrashing the trails in those conditions would have intensified the damage.

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
How did that affect the ride day? Did it still go ahead? I imagine that if it did, several riders thrashing the trails in those conditions would have intensified the damage.
The ride still went ahead and yes it did effect the trails, the thing is most of the areas that were damaged looked ok when i walked the track in the morning, the water runs under ground in a lot of places and after having over 100 riders go down more then 5 times each all the vibrations brings the moisture to the surface.

We did think of closing track 13 in the morning before the day started but this would only push more riders onto the other tracks and cause even more damage. The trail crew will fix all areas as soon as possible.

Samy

Likes Dirt
You Yangs MTB Inc now on FACEBOOK

Be-friend us on Facebook to keep up to date with Club News, Events and Trail Information. Share with your friends, upload photos or videos and help us get the word out there that the You Yangs is one of Australia's premier mountain biking destinations.

To spead the word about the Facebook Page we are offereing a free You Yangs Tee Shirt to who ever posts the best photo on the page and gets the most likes. Share the page with your friends to increase your chances of winning. Winner will be decided on the 17th January 2011.

find_us_on_facebook.jpg

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Track Work

The work on track 10 and 13 is coming along really well and both tracks will be open shortly, in the mean time we ask people to stay off the tracks which we are working on as it only makes more work for the trail crew. Each morning i arrive out there we have tire marks which keep blowing out fresh berms and jumps which are yet to be packed, if you are one of these people or know of the people who are riding the closed tracks still tell the retards to stay the fuck away until we have finished cause if we catch them while we are there someone might have a little accident.

Dave.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The work on track 10 and 13 is coming along really well and both tracks will be open shortly, in the mean time we ask people to stay off the tracks which we are working on as it only makes more work for the trail crew. Each morning i arrive out there we have tire marks which keep blowing out fresh berms and jumps which are yet to be packed, if you are one of these people or know of the people who are riding the closed tracks still tell the retards to stay the fuck away until we have finished cause if we catch them while we are there someone might have a little accident.

Dave.
re: sign-age closed tracks, I rode the Plantation section 2 weeks ago and noticed the raised wooden section had (had) bunting across start and finish. It was hanging off entrance wrapped around a tree (so wasn't across entrance).

So you think, has it been fixed and someone hasn't removed bunting properly or has someone come along and simply removed it to side and rode on platform?

Either way I think there needs to be a clearer indication of 'Dates closed' and a 'written reason'. At least then your average rider (who doesn't understand or care about track closures) can be at least informed and others can let them know. There were 4 new riders going along it when I went past. How do I advise when there's no clear indication of closure?

Not criticizing vollies, just asking what the standard is from ranger/safety perspective - I think it needs to be clearer. I know you guys will say it's obvious, but that's from an informed perspective, a lot of new mtbers to YYs simply don't have the track smarts to work this out. Maybe each track requires a simple Gate like on the competition track so it is very obvious whether a track is open or closed.

OT

Likes Dirt
re: sign-age closed tracks, I rode the Plantation section 2 weeks ago and noticed the raised wooden section had (had) bunting across start and finish. It was hanging off entrance wrapped around a tree (so wasn't across entrance).

So you think, has it been fixed and someone hasn't removed bunting properly or has someone come along and simply removed it to side and rode on platform?

Either way I think there needs to be a clearer indication of 'Dates closed' and a 'written reason'. At least then your average rider (who doesn't understand or care about track closures) can be at least informed and others can let them know. There were 4 new riders going along it when I went past. How do I advise when there's no clear indication of closure?

Not criticizing vollies, just asking what the standard is from ranger/safety perspective - I think it needs to be clearer. I know you guys will say it's obvious, but that's from an informed perspective, a lot of new mtbers to YYs simply don't have the track smarts to work this out. Maybe each track requires a simple Gate like on the competition track so it is very obvious whether a track is open or closed.
Track 13 has an orange barrier at both ends and a closed sign. I think I could see wood across the track at the top as well. I'm not sure how they could make it more obvious that it's closed.

dunndog

Eats Squid

I would hazard a guess, if there's bunting then it's closed. If the guys had it fixed they'd remove any bunting all together so it's obviously open. If there's bunting tied uselessly from one corner out to a tree, doing nothing at all, then there's a good chance some holier than thou legend has come along and done it so they can show their eye lash batting man friends how completely awesome they are. If there's bunting around, even enough to make you wonder, then there's a very good chance it's there for a reason. when jobs are completed the bunting will be removed.

trav

Likes Dirt
If you don't want your bike folded up so you can take it home in your glove box,don't ignore trail closures.

It is amazing how many riders that come along clearly closed trails when we are working on them,then lie with a straight face about not knowing it is closed.

specci82

Likes Dirt
If you don't want your bike folded up so you can take it home in your glove box,don't ignore trail closures.
That's funny shit,
Like what everyone else is saying, there's tape and bunting on the tracks at the top and bottom, it's quite obvious.

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Build Up For Re Opening

Ok guys just wanna get this thread up and going again as we are slowly working to the re-opening of the park.

At the moment its looking like the Stockyards area is going to be opening first followed by the Kurrajong MTB area a little while longer.

As Parks Vic and the the Trail Crew have been busy for the past couple of months doing what ever possible to get the trails and You Yangs Regional Park up and running again i thought its about time for some feed back from the front line, so from this weekend on i will be providing some pics and short reports of what has been happening since the closures back in November to the opening some time from easter to around the start of May.(Cross those fingers)

By Monday i should have some new Pics up and im sure Trav and myself will be happy to answer most questions, also keep an eye out for updates from the You Yangs Ranger in the General MTB Discussion area.

Cheers Dave
(You Yangs MTB Inc)
(You Yangs Trail Crew)