Your dark past.

moorey

call me Mia
I loved textiles at school. So much so it was always a bit dangerous in an all boys country tech school in the early 80’s. I wanted to do it I VCE, but was told unequivocally that boys couldn’t do it. I used to even make or modify a lot of my own clothes. I Again, that’s a death wish where I grew up. :rolleyes:
I assume you did it to meet girls? We had none :(

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I loved textiles at school. So much so it was always a bit dangerous in an all boys country tech school in the early 80’s. I wanted to do it I VCE, but was told unequivocally that boys couldn’t do it. I used to even make or modify a lot of my own clothes. I Again, that’s a death wish where I grew up. :rolleyes:
I assume you did it to meet girls? We had none :(
the way I read this is..."I really wanted to make doilies, couldn't, so made tea sets instead!"

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
They are great looking pieces @moorey.

I performed in a bunch of local theatre productions (predominantly Gilbert and Sullivan operas) during secondary college.

Can't sing, can't act. But apparently could make people laugh.
Drama school drop out over here too. Didn't do much with it, few auditions, lots of tedious student films. Was also on radio for a while.

Apart from that, spent a loooong time faffing around in retail / hospitality jobs and being drunk (not usually at the same time) for most of my 20s.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I was a chef. Fully qualified. Worked a number of great restaurants and some fine dining establishments. Injured my self in the kitchen of an uninsured workplace. They gave me a tonne of money to shut up and covered treatment costs.

While I was off, I went to travel SE Asia for 9 months. Realised I dont want to cook for strangers anymore, didn't want to own a restaurant etc so moved into the corporate world.

Though I still love working with my hands. If it wasn't wasn't a massive pay cut and I didn't have a lifestyle to maintain, I'd probably be a carpenter or furniture maker.

Screenshot_20220126-092040_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220126-092147_Facebook.jpg

Messmate 10 seater I built 8 years ago when we built the house. Loved every minute of working on this. Have a couple other pieces made over the years too.

One day I'll open a pizza shop though. That shit has massive margins and kind of hard to fuck up.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I was a chef. Fully qualified. Worked a number of great restaurants and some fine dining establishments. Injured my self in the kitchen of an uninsured workplace. They gave me a tonne of money to shut up and covered treatment costs.

While I was off, I went to travel SE Asia for 9 months. Realised I dont want to cook for strangers anymore, didn't want to own a restaurant etc so moved into the corporate world.

Though I still love working with my hands. If it wasn't wasn't a massive pay cut and I didn't have a lifestyle to maintain, I'd probably be a carpenter or furniture maker.

View attachment 385419View attachment 385420

Messmate 10 seater I built 8 years ago when we built the house. Loved every minute of working on this. Have a couple other pieces made over the years too.

One day I'll open a pizza shop though. That shit has massive margins and kind of hard to fuck up.
That’s a gorgeous table, I can’t lie.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
You have a special table just for making annoying noises at?

Pre-professional career I stacked shelves at various supermarkets. Also, shamefully, moonlighted as an aussie rules umpire in tight white shorts.
Along with you, I umpired footy as well for a few years. Thick skin a requirement!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

View attachment 385419View attachment 385420

yep - that's a beauty. I haven't made a major piece like that but feel similar about wanting to work more with my hands on building things if it would pay bills. I'm working now at a desk I built. I build one for my kids and there are various pieces around the house that I whipped up including a daybed, hall table and some cabinetry in our laundry. It's all pretty basic by was satisfying

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I umpired u15’s as a 15ish yo. Sweet Fancy Moses, it was a dangerous gig, particularly in relation to parents. Threats of abuse, got shoved leaving the field a few times. People are the worst.
I started as a boundary umpire at 14 and started as a central the next year in u/21’s. Did a couple of league games later that year. Most stressful experience of my life, but the making of me in many ways.

Wouldn’t have got through it without mtbing on Sundays to destress.

LQQK

Likes Bikes
For a while I worked as Abe Saffron’s gardener.
Somewhere I have a short hand written reference from Doreen (his wife).
I was leaving to do the backpacking thing in the U.S., Doreen said if I needed work to contact her son in L.A. (which unfortunately I never did contact him).