Your Fav trail building tool

ogjon

Likes Dirt
I have the following in my arsenal:
x2 shovels(short handle flat & a long handle spade)
wood saw
fold up saw/knife
chain saw
mattock
pick/hoe
leaf rake
metal rake
assortment of nails, screws & bolts(for the wooden features on our trails)
x2 cordless 18V drills with batteries
axe/tommahawk
machette
flat sole shoes & gum boots
rain coat
a couple of torches
rope/s

DeBloot

Feeling old
Hey Andrei - been a while mate
All the tools mentioned are great and very necessary
But the only one I keep in my car permanently is my long handled flat blade shovel

For example, after a ride the other day we were having a look at a bit of trail/ pump track we are doing
Started moving rocks and kicking around dirt, scoping lines
'Don't spose anyone's got a shovel'
Went and got mine and an hour later we had a great new little section

It's good enough for moving dirt (may have to hold some on with your hand to move it from spot to spot)
Strong enough to remove all but the most stubborn root balls
Great for smoothing and shaping berms
And good to lean on when you're telling everyone else what to do :single_eye:

Good luck with it mate

khsmtb

Likes Bikes
Mcleod Tool

Personally I love my Mc Leod tool, the only problem is the time it takes to find it after 'stashing' it for a month or just off the trail, I really need to paint it bright pink. Also another favourite it the folding saw to keep back the face wipers. For ramp runs the lithium powered impact driver can't be beat.
cheers to all trail crew!

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mattock and sharpened point shovel. Team these two up and you've got yourself a winning combination in any circumstance.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having considered this in detail, the best trail tool is someone else - younger, fitter, and enthused. Point and shoot!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the proper folding army shovels, not the crap rip off ones that rays outdoors sell!, with a pick on one side..even came with a thick leather cover over the shovel plate.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Technology

Having considered this in detail, the best trail tool is someone else - younger, fitter, and enthused. Point and shoot!
Good one. Most people that ride our local trails find that a keyboard & interweb connection way better than any garden tool. You can use them all day without getting a sort back or blistered hands. With all this rain in Sydney this weekend I think I will stay in doors & rebuild all our trails from top to bottom. lol enjoy

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm almost too afraid to ask, but, where do you hold them? :p
It's a bit like the chickens and pigs in Minecraft; they are held in pens close to the trailwork and they don't need computerised stuff because they know they are minions. Not like unitec's Sydney ones. By the way, I never said there was more than one. How'd you know?

fergo

Likes Dirt
the proper folding army shovels, not the crap rip off ones that rays outdoors sell!, with a pick on one side..even came with a thick leather cover over the shovel plate.
You mean the ET - Entrenching Tool? These are great for when you need to dig a pit to escape the threat of enemy mortars and gunfire! lol. Engineers arm extension.

Seriously, these are great. Light and easily swingable and folds up nice and compact in your backpack. They even double as a seat while the others are digging away.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a bit like the chickens and pigs in Minecraft; they are held in pens close to the trailwork and they don't need computerised stuff because they know they are minions. Not like unitec's Sydney ones. By the way, I never said there was more than one. How'd you know?
Oh yeh, you have to decide which bit you hold based on morals and upbringing:censored:

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Hmmm mine would have to be either Romans or Cows..they have been responsible for some of the best singletrack in the world! Nowadays i just stick to my trusty Mattock although a Sutter Trail Dozer would be nice...