AM You've Changed..... 2011 Stumpjumper SWORKS EVO Pic HEAVY and Wordy

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Tomorrow is our 1 year anniversary. I was minding my own business driving home from work when my eye was drawn to a flashy sign at Cyclery Northside in Chatswood. 50% off - today only

"Surely it cant hurt to look?"

It was love at first sight for both my eyes and wallet, she was a shiny new 2011 stumpy comp. a bike i had dreamed of owning but could never afford to. i was so excited my hands couldn't stop shaking to take a decent pic her!

I bought her right there and then. I just couldn't wait to get dirty with her, at first we went on rides around my suburbs fire trails and single track getting to know each other.

We started to venture further afield to Manly, Oxford Falls, St Ives working out new and exciting places to shred dirt. Old Mans Valley opened and we had a new place to shred trail.

Life was great....

we travelled up north

and down south

spending more and more time together getting dirty and then clean again

I began to spoil Stumpy Comp with little upgrades.

At first it was small things, a stem here, new grips there. but then things got a bit more serious, she wanted new shoes, a dropper post, perfectly good alloy parts replaced with lighter woven carbon ones.

these new svelte parts made it even more fun to get dirty

we discovered racing together for the first time

Learning to Fly

We even filmed each other in the act

Could it ever get any better?

But you know what happens when you spend time on the interwebs late at night....

you start to see other bikes or bargains in the For Sale section. your dream bike becomes somehow just like normal life, but i was resistant.... for a while

Then it happened, while searching for yet more cheap upgrades on ebay i saw it... not a new bike but the perfect upgrade to faithful alloy stumpy comp - A CARBON FRAME!

after some good old fashioned bargaining and an early morning flight I snuck down south of the border to mexico and picked her up for the first time. She was smooth and light, lighter than light and detailed with a sweet weave and deep red accent. She even came with her own dropper post, it was the start of something new.
I nearly missed my flight home such was my delight, but now i needed a few more parts to finish the job. A new Tapered Fork, BB and Cranks. a change from 3x to 1x. I was still on a budget but i had to make her rideable as soon as i could. So with everything now pieced together, i got to know her better by learning how she worked.

Now after 2 months tinkering in my garage... she is ready to share.

The new +1

She is Loaded with Carbon and without her platforms weighs in at 11.65kg

Frame: 2011 Specialized S-works Stumpjumper FSR Med
Fork: 2013 Rockshox Revelation World Cup Dual Position Air 150/120 with 2012 Lowers Running 20mm Maxle
Rear Shock: Specialized Fox Brain 140mm

Crankset: SRAM XX1 32T 170mm
Bottom Bracket: SRAM PF GXP OSBB
Chainring: SRAM XX1 32T
Chain : KMC 10SL
Pedals: NukeProof Proton MgTi
Rear Derailleur : SRAM X9 Type2 10spd med cage
Rear Shifter : SRAM X0 10spd
Cassette: Shimano 10spd 11-36T

Brakes : Custom Avid Elixir R SL Fr185 R160

Stem: Answer ROVE AM 70mm
Handlebar: Answer Pro Taper Carbon 720mm
Grips: JetBlack
Headset: FSA
Saddle: Specialized Henge
Seat Post : 2013 Specialized Command Blacklite

Front Rim: ZTR Arch 26"
Rear Rim : ZTR Arch 26"
Front Hub: Hope Pro II Evo Red
Rear Hub : Hope Pro II Evo Red
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition Double Butted 2.0/1.8
Rear Skewer: Hope 135mm QR
Front Tyre: Specialized Ground Control 2.3 Tubeless 23psi
Rear Tyre : Specialized Purgatory 2.2 Tubeless 21psi

Total weight - 11.65kg without pedals
11.9kg with MgTi Nukeproof Protons

Special mentions/gratitude:

Cyclery Northside, Chatswood for lighting the mtb flame for me again
Chilli cycles, Warragul, Victoria for the frameset and dropper post.
Adrian @ Northern Beaches Cycles, Belrose for the crankset.
L.P. - RB member for the sweet as Fork
frameskin.com.au for the custom protection kit
Rockguardz.com for the Custom Carbon downtube/bottom bracket cover
Trailsguy/Ben @ Manly Cycles for all the help with the BB and sorting me out with much needed info and advice

Last edited:

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome write up, and awesome bike. Really nice build.
Little bike shredding rocks!

ChopSticks

Banned
Sweet Bike Banjo!!

cant wait to see it in the flesh and grab a few shots!!!!!

I see the frame skin on the crank...but what about your shiny new frame?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Sweet Bike Banjo!!

cant wait to see it in the flesh and grab a few shots!!!!!

I see the frame skin on the crank...but what about your shiny new frame?
Frameskin is on the frame. It's so smooth you can barely see it. The cranks came with those stickers already applied, just need some of those crank boots to save them. But the 170mm length Has avoided any strikes so far. Around OMV there are a few spots I know I have hit occasionally but cleared them easily, didn't notice much lack of leverage over the 175mm I had before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Oh the life of a bike slut.... Soooo hard to stay faithful :(

And now I got 2 little ones.... the budget's gettin hammered...ho humm. Anyway, onwards and upwards to the next upgrade..hehe

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Oh the life of a bike slut.... Soooo hard to stay faithful :(

And now I got 2 little ones.... the budget's gettin hammered...ho humm. Anyway, onwards and upwards to the next upgrade..hehe
Haha I have a little one on the way myself so the budget will be next to nix for the mistress except for maintenance. So this will be my last fling, had to make it a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Haha I have a little one on the way myself so the budget will be next to nix for the mistress except for maintenance. So this will be my last fling, had to make it a good one.
Yeah "maintenance",, pedal not grippy, bars not wide enough, shocks/forks/frames/wheels.... wear and tear :) The Mrs has developed this belittling, dis-approving look everytime I even think about saying something like "may need to get a tyre soon cause the back's pretty bald", and before I can utter a word she usually hits me with a "NO".... Hahaha

BTW, if you got a little one on the way get as many rides and sleeps(sleep ins) as you possibly can cause once that lil angel arrives you can kiss em both goodbye.... Haha

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Bike is in being Changed over from Elixir RSL to the new Elixir X9 Trails.
Current completed build weigh in at 11.9kg
I'll reweigh after brake swap.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
awesome PYR post bloke. enjoy your "new" Stumpy - you must almost have a complete one in parts in the garage. :madgrin:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
awesome PYR post bloke. enjoy your "new" Stumpy - you must almost have a complete one in parts in the garage. :madgrin:
cheers mate, you'd think so but no....

I managed to sell the old frame, fork, wheel set, some drivetrain and the old brakes for $1450 so closing the gap on what i paid for the carbon frame. i think all up I'm onto this bike for under 4k, which is less than the price of the carbon frame at new RRP and close to the cost of the original Stumpy comp at full price.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Bedded in the new avid elixir 9 trails this arvo, first ride and they feel very good. A bit of time on trail tomorrow hopefully will see them shine!

Thanks to Mountain bikes direct for the great price and Adrian at Belrose Cycles for the fit up/bleed and tidy line job, really happy with the work.

Anyone know what this little Lego man hands thing is called? Pretty tidy little clip!

Last edited: