AM You've Changed..... 2011 Stumpjumper SWORKS EVO Pic HEAVY and Wordy

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks port but I'd consider taking that cable tie off the master cylinder.

A+ on the story too mate! Well put together!

oriion

Likes Dirt
I know Knuckles said those legoman clips were everywhere, but can someone show me a link?

searching "S Clip" was helpful, but not anything resembling the lego man hands.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Looks port but I'd consider taking that cable tie off the master cylinder.

A+ on the story too mate! Well put together!
Thanks, was pretty good fun to write about, almost as good as the rides..... Plus it brings back memories of every time I come back into this thread.

why take the tie off? Just to stop rubbing or technical aspect?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks, was pretty good fun to write about, almost as good as the rides..... Plus it brings back memories of every time I come back into this thread.

why take the tie off? Just to stop rubbing or technical aspect?
Just looks funny I guess lol :)

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I suppose it's time for an update.

Last one was regarding new brakes which are still going strong, no issues at all and really love the increased power and modulation over the old single pot avids.
Have done a few high speed break burner descents and they are just flawless with such a soft touch they hardly ever lock up even when it's super loose.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407319773.887406.jpg

Recent changes have been
New PG1070 cassette
Modded cassette with oneupcomponents 42t and 16t

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407319945.464203.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407319961.773181.jpg

New chain - broken 3 rides in.
Changed 32t xx1 ring and spider for 34t direct mount NW from wolftooth components.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407319693.624772.jpg

A little bit of playing around with suspension setup too. Tweaking LSC on fork and increase in pressure from 85-90psi.
Slight increase in pressure on shock. 150psi to 155
Found the fork as diving a bit much on pedally sections in open mode. But I prefer it open to trail which seems to harsh. Will keep playing.

The chain saga is pretty dumb. New chain, oneup gear and cassette arrived before direct mount ring. Couldn't wait, cut new chain to suit 32t but re-used popped pin. went for a few rides, all good, no issues, then mount up 34t without adjusting chain length. first ride it snaps on a climb.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407319741.329916.jpg

Go to fix it up today and find I've kinked another link about 5 away from the snapped one. Have a few spare links but originally was going to add 1 link to allow a bit More slack on the 34 while in the 42 which was tight under full compression.

When I add the extra link the derailleur when in the 11t looks like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407319473.810986.jpg

And in 42t

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407319495.480271.jpg

I suppose I could remove the extra link if it's gonna cause issue having the pulley cage running that flat (thinking chain slapping against itself on the wheels)

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Chain def too long. If the frame is high chain growth you may need a long cage derailleur (yours looks like a mid cage?)

You should be able to run on biggest sprocket plus full compression plus 1 full chain link (an inner and an outer).

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Chain def too long. If the frame is high chain growth you may need a long cage derailleur (yours looks like a mid cage?)

You should be able to run on biggest sprocket plus full compression plus 1 full chain link (an inner and an outer).
Could simply man up and go to 36t

Yep medium cage. I'm thinking of pulling the extra link. What's the chances of going full compression while climbing? Remembering I've got a brain shock so even on full open when climbing the shock almost locks out limiting suspension compression.

teK--

Eats Squid
Could simply man up and go to 36t

Yep medium cage. I'm thinking of pulling the extra link. What's the chances of going full compression while climbing? Remembering I've got a brain shock so even on full open when climbing the shock almost locks out limiting suspension compression.
I setup mine the same since I like chain to be as short as possible. The issue becomes more pronounced when you are running 11-42 cassette.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
how do you think the older frame feels- thats a really low act mate and you should be ashamed of your self- going for a lighter, prettier, sexier model after all you had been through together- all the good times. I hope this shinny new red one dumps your ar$e.

shame on you puppet

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
how do you think the older frame feels- thats a really low act mate and you should be ashamed of your self- going for a lighter, prettier, sexier model after all you had been through together- all the good times. I hope this shinny new red one dumps your ar$e.

shame on you puppet
The older frame is pretty sweet with it, now spends her days living with a mate who is pretty soft on her.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
The older frame is pretty sweet with it, now spends her days living with a mate who is pretty soft on her.
oh great she must love that- you fell for each other and when you move on she is discarded to some soft knob.

slowmick

38-39"
JD - are you sure you're the one who should be metering this stern talking to given your own penchant for spreading the love around?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
JD - are you sure you're the one who should be metering this stern talking to given your own penchant for spreading the love around?
Quite Mick love is used too lightly these days. Anyway I still care for all my ex's

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Been a while since I changed anything on the bike, been running like a dream for a long time now.

But for the sake of change

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415695279.865016.jpg

Just gotta wait until I finish the wife's 1x conversion so I can steal her matchmaker mounts ;)

Also a mental note to check the stans sealant more regularly.
Pulled a manual tooling around in my driveway and nearly went over as the tyre was Down to around 8psi and almost rolled off the rim.
I've bought a new bottle of stans to fix the slow leak that's not being plugged by the older goo it seems.

But it's still taking a beating. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415695448.171287.jpg

And got me here the other day

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415695657.771862.jpg

Attachments

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
UPDATE time.

Bike went in for fork and shock service, the brain shock had started to feel very notchy and was bottoming out frequently on bigger hits even with more pressure.
Fork was similar, a little grabby in the initial stroke and no matter what I did could never get it up to the last 45-50mm of travel.
Rev WC has come up nicely and back to it's buttery feel with a full rebuild/service and new seals.

Shock was another story....
The cost of servicing the brain shock was going to be around $220+ which is a long way into a newer one. Tossed up a monarch plus but with none available for the 26" stumpy in OZ & a cost of $650plus shipping from the US, plan b took shape.

The Specialized store doing the service had a demo/loaner 2015 fox float CTD BV kashima for $350 with very minimal trail time.
All fitted up it looks pretty nice, a bit of weight lost too with the brain valving removed from the bike.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Weighed it today,
11.80 kg with XT trail pedals. (11.398 without, based on XT weight of 402g - chops school of bike weighing)

Previously it was 11.9kg with nukeproof platforms.
11.65 without.
Changes since that time are:
Avid Elixir RSL changed to Avid Trail 9 paired to Shifter with matchmaker clamps
32x11-36 changed to 34x11-42
Nukeproof proton MG-TI flats changed to XT trails
Command post standard lever changed to SRL lever.
Stem topcap changed to promount billet Garmin enduro mount.
'11 fox Brain shock swapped for '15 fox float CTD BV

Last edited:

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
Significant changes Mr Puppet. How's the stumpy riding now sans brain?

Noticeable change to the ride, trail feedback and pedal bob moving from the brain shock to the float?