Zee brakes for the bigger man?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Tried a search nothing popped up?

Been using the Formula RO's last two years, have two sets, awesome brake. They have no trouble with my 100+kg weight, I've learnt to warn people that get on the bikes to show them some respect after a few over the bar incidents.

Only problem is the cost, can't seem to find a cheap set at the moment, great deals a few weeks ago, but not now.

Shimano Zee, looks the bussiness reviews well - albiet all the reviews are from less manly men with less mass and hairy parts. Cost is excellent - hence why I'm thinking paying 1/3 less than RO's they might be worth a shot. I don't give a shit about modulation, I just wondering if any heavier RB'ers out there are using them, do they have enough power? I expect to be able to do 1 finger endo's at will?

Going on a hardtail I want to use for BMX tracks and tricks / trails type riding. Just to squeeze in some more 20 minute around the neighbourhood post work rides without lugging the DH bike out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I sold mine without trying them. I sometimes weigh about 95kg and have no problems with XT brakes grabbing when I need to do epic skids or wicked stoppies etc. So if you want more the Zee should be up for it.

omac

Likes Dirt
I sold mine without trying them. I sometimes weigh about 95kg and have no problems with XT brakes grabbing when I need to do epic skids or wicked stoppies etc. So if you want more the Zee should be up for it.
Im 100kg & I find my XTs are plenty sufficient but as they say, more is better than less.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Im 100kg & I find my XTs are plenty sufficient but as they say, more is better than less.
Remember, a bigger rider will have more inertia, if your bike stops to well, well I'm sure you can guess.....

Mywifesirrational

I gave XT's a go a while back, felt really underwhelmed once up to speed. Not to bad at trail riding speeds, although perhaps the rotors were 180's or smaller, can't remember.

I've just replaced my avid elixirs after four years, and wow what a difference. Initially the avid pistons would get dirt in them and fail to fully retract, took several bleeds and lost of frustration to work out. After the last service they started to become less and less reliable under load. Anyway picked up a set of XT M's and they are doing just nice. Amazing how much more confidence you have when you know your brakes are going to work.

slowmick

38-39"
MWI - am 115kg, 120kg with a bag of water, food and tools - i run XTs with the ice tech rotors (8 up front, 7 out back) - no problems stopping - power only limited by tyre grip.

floody

Wheel size expert
I'd be about 110-115kg geared up at the moment, my Zees are yet to be anything but consistently powerful, and totally dependable after a year on them. Can't word them up highly enough. Many of my rides involve 600m+ of vertical and extended (15+ minutes) descents.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
i would go for the slx brakes and save some money, been running them for years with big rubber 2.5 tyres (braking is as much about ground contact patch, as it is about caliper, rotor). This includes a trip to the french alps and never once thought my brakes were not powerful enough. ps bike + rider 130kg+

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just fitted a Zee to the front of the Enduro, only done a couple of rides, haven't fitted the rear yet seems to haul up my 100kg kitted up pretty well. Haven't had a chance to do any decent gravity riding yet though but is an improvement over the formula C1s but not the massive improvement I was hoping for. I'll try sintered pads next.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Generally speaking the 4 pot brakes are more about heat dispersion than power. If you want raw stopping power go and buy some Hayes HFX9s. Those things grab like awell trained hookers lips! But if you want modulation and feel...

fIf you are finding your brakes aren't giving you all they can switch the lines to a stiffer wall or better yet braided. My last set of hope brakes (hey Gasser!!! If you give me the brakes back you can keep the rest.) Would flex the stock hose under pressure when locked. They still stopped me hitting more than my fair share of cars and trees and pedestrians. The new brakes have braided lines. When I sell my XT brakes I will buy hopes again.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Generally speaking the 4 pot brakes are more about heat dispersion than power. If you want raw stopping power go and buy some Hayes HFX9s. Those things grab like awell trained hookers lips! But if you want modulation and feel...

fIf you are finding your brakes aren't giving you all they can switch the lines to a stiffer wall or better yet braided. My last set of hope brakes (hey Gasser!!! If you give me the brakes back you can keep the rest.) Would flex the stock hose under pressure when locked. They still stopped me hitting more than my fair share of cars and trees and pedestrians. The new brakes have braided lines. When I sell my XT brakes I will buy hopes again.
Just ordered myself a set of Hope Tech 3 E4... Reviews seems really positive so looking forward to trying them out.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
Just ordered myself a set of Hope Tech 3 E4... Reviews seems really positive so looking forward to trying them out.
Have a set on my spitfire and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are my first set of hope brakes coming off a set of xt's and its a night and day difference.
They could stop a train.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Have a set on my spitfire and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are my first set of hope brakes coming off a set of xt's and its a night and day difference.
They could stop a train.
I originally had XT on my Spitfire, changed them out for Formulas as I prefer the modulation of the Formulas.
Smashed the rear master cylinder in a stack last week, so thought I'd try out something new.

Hope make some of the best quality stuff I have seen, so excited to try out their brakes. Heard modulation and power are a step above, as well as durability and build quality.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
Tried a search nothing popped up?

Been using the Formula RO's last two years, have two sets, awesome brake. They have no trouble with my 100+kg weight, I've learnt to warn people that get on the bikes to show them some respect after a few over the bar incidents.

Only problem is the cost, can't seem to find a cheap set at the moment, great deals a few weeks ago, but not now.

Shimano Zee, looks the bussiness reviews well - albiet all the reviews are from less manly men with less mass and hairy parts. Cost is excellent - hence why I'm thinking paying 1/3 less than RO's they might be worth a shot. I don't give a shit about modulation, I just wondering if any heavier RB'ers out there are using them, do they have enough power? I expect to be able to do 1 finger endo's at will?

Going on a hardtail I want to use for BMX tracks and tricks / trails type riding. Just to squeeze in some more 20 minute around the neighbourhood post work rides without lugging the DH bike out.
Buddy of mine is down to 130kgs and has been using Zee's (finned pads and ice tech 8" rotors) for 6 months and swears by them. He rides a 6in AM bike and generally pushes/grinds up to bomb/smash down.

I am 94kg and run 2014 XT's (finned pads and non ice tech 8" rotors) and only notice a slight slight fade on super long DH runs on my 7in AM bike.

Mywifesirrational

Thanks for the replies.

I'll keep an eye out John U, I don't use ebay, but that price is pretty nice, not quite as good as Bike-discounts from a few weeks ago... I should have just bought a set :mmph:

Zee sounds like it's more than sufficient, I think I'll give them a go, with a 203 and 180 rotor.

Are shimano reliable from one set to another, the XT's I've tried weren't that powerful, especially compared to RO's. Possibly just rotor size.

In regards to braided lines, i thought they were good for lever feel but had no influence on power? I ran them on my streetfighter, no difference in power?

Hopes are really nice, borrowed the M4's off the mrs bike a few times, great feel but not enough power! I'll do some reading on the new models.

slowmick

38-39"
methinks rotor size has all to do with it. the avid elixir 5s on my hard tail were downright scary with 6" rotors but more than enough with a 8"/7" combo - even for avids.

effarr

Likes Dirt
I can't provide a direct comparison between XTs and Zee brakes, but I upgraded from the XTs to Saint M820s recently for the same reasons (95+kg and like to have enough braking power to brake late into corners etc) and I found the XTs weren't quote cutting it for me on some steeper tracks. I stuck with the same rotor sizes (203/180), and found the Saints are what I was after. No real reason why the Zee brakes wouldn't have similar levels of power, and for what it's worth I haven't touched the free stroke adjustment.

And I have no discernible intermittent issues with level feel.

Cheers

Leon

datnat

Likes Dirt
Have ridden with the following on Trail/AM/DH bikes:

Saints
Avid Elixr CR
Hope V2
SLX's

Hopes were by far and above the nicest, modulation, separate bite point and lever adjustment, endo's - no worries and a pretty reasonable price in all. The finish and detail are second to none and the fact you can buy all the individual parts to rebuild/replace if required is another bonus. Good, smart engineering, not the lightest brakes out there but worth the extra grams. Hard to believe they made the V4's, and even a vented & cross drilled rotor!

Current SLX's do the job nicely with the Ice tech rotor at Buller were fine, friends Deore's were sizzling half way down Delatite, although he was hanging on to them a bit too often given it was his first time there...

I would love a set of the new E4's, will have to save my pennies tho...

Make of this opinion what you will.

Cheers

PS: bed them in as per Hope's instruction, makes a big difference to performance...

Last edited: