Zelvy Carbon Rims - Any out there in RB land?

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I have a set of the 40mm wide rims running on Hope Hubs.

They are less than a year old, however there are over 2000k's on them. I am fairly light (<67kgs) and haven't been known to smash wheels previously but I have already had 2 crash replacement rims for the rear. I get a bit nervous riding it now and check the rims pretty much every ride.

Zelvy are good to deal with but even with the crash replacement policy, its still expensive and time consuming to get wheels rebuilt multiple times.

Not sure I would buy carbon MTB wheels again from any supplier.

Woffa

Rotorburn Enthusiast
Never destroyed any other rim before but had a set of these for 3 months and cracked the rear rim straight through. Also a buddy of mine had a set also and the rim cracked and split down length ways.

Personally did not bother getting a crash replacement, just went with a different brand rim.

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 29er pair that I have done a few Enduro's on at Buller DH and Barjarg and I'm harsh on wheels and they have been fine, 2 mates recently have not had as much success which has led me to ordering some alloys for my tweener wheel build.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those that are breaking them, what were you running? Mate of mine had 35's for a couple of years no problems, but broke a few 40's in quick succession. I'm on 29" 30's, as is another mate of mine, at close to 100kg kitted

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I've seen an ENVE break on an easy trail too.
I'm just going on experience from around me. Three guys I ride with have M70's over a year doing Trans NZ, DH and Enduro races no issues.

I have 40mm rims for 7 weeks split the rim open 6" inches on Epic XC descent, mate cracks his 35mm in under 12 weeks.

The product just didn't work for me, simple. So changed product based on what I'd seen around me first hand

Last edited:

omac

Likes Dirt
Iv had 35s for over 1 year with no trouble, Im 105kg & Im a retired DHer, I mostly trail ride but I do ride Buller & race GE sometimes.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Seems to be a few breakages here, wonder how it compares with other similar offerings, say derby or not perhaps?
I've seen some derbys break first hand an buller last year - got some photos around here somewhere, also enves, light bicycle, nextie. Seems to me to be somewhat random although some who break one seem to break 2+, rider, tyre, psi... issues?

Theres a set of derbys on facebook 450, one brand new, not a bad deal.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I was going to stay out of this thread as I don't own a set of these.
However, as a point of reference wheelworks (kiwi, yes I know) now offer a lifetime replacement on their rims.
They are building with Derbys and I have dealt with Tristan on two builds now and know how anal he is with every aspect of their building.

My MTB wheels are a set of derby 35mm on DT Swiss 240S. 12 Months 4000k, including three 24hr races and true as the day they came out of the box

Cavets:
-They only build with DT Swiss aerolites, no Sapim;
-Not cheap but on pare with others like for like;
-Excellent communication;
- ~ Two week turn around, depending on time of year.