ALGoat wheelset
AL
29mm internal
33mm external
27.5 - 1930g
29 - 2030g
$860 ($1005 RRP)
https://zlv-ind.com/collections/mtb/products/2020-al-goat350

I only caught the tail end of the thread that disappeared but hopefully they've improved since.
Haven't had any experience first hand with any of their products.
I remember there being quite a bit of negative feedback regarding post sales warranty service on their Facebook page but I think they made a new one or removed the ability to post reviews.

Taking into the current pricepoint and specs ... personally I would lean towards a Spank or Hunt wheelset for the same or slightly less price.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
.. I would lean towards a Spank or Hunt wheelset for the same or slightly less price ..
They were my thoughts too when reading the above specs, cost and weight. I'd rather be running on a equivalent & cheaper alloy DT XM481/EX511 wheel or Hunt Enduro Wide etc.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had two sets, one with nipple issues until I got rebuilt and the other set got some weird delamination in the rear carbon. Kept using the second set until I plowed the front rim into a square edged rock at 40kmh and really wrecked it, but that was definitely my fault so I'll give that set a pass.

Been on DT Swiss since with no issues for a couple of years racing so far

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I pre-ordered the Al Goat wheels just over 12 months ago. Off the top of my head they were about $600 back then and going to be delivered on proprietary hubs “by the end of June”. After a couple of months waiting i asked to cancel my order and get my money back. I had to ask and hassle numerous times before he agreed. He charged me some weird ‘bank charge’ that i was willing to pay in order to get the bulk of my money back.

Turns out it was the right move as it took 12 months to get to market...

I’ll leave the quality control story to others (calling @Zaf )

I would also endorse Hunt at this price

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
The relaunch was initially meant to be 2 months are so. Obviously that turned into 12 due to various issues I'm sure. It is interesting the demise of Zelvy from virtually a worldwide brand to fading away in such a short amount of time. One can only speculate that the warranty replacements and poor customer service contributed to this.
Myself and others all had negative experiences with Greg's customer service due to failed rims.
I'm still yet to see anymore on the custom frame front. That would be an interesting one. I also now run Hunt's and couldn't recommend them any higher.

Also awaiting @Zaf response.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also eagerly awaiting @Zaf to chime in.

My experience is a little different. For both sides of the coin I'll share it here. I bought some hubs when they went to their own brand through an eBay store they setup. Ordered two 32h hubs.

I recieved a 28h rear which I didn't notice until I handed rims and hubs to a wheelbuilder. He informed me I had 28h rear hub and a 32h rim.

I did take a while to eventually get a reply but they sent out a replacement rear hub in the end.

Probably wouldn't consider these wheels with some other better options available now.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I love that their no questions asked *lifetime warranty also comes with a pile of conditions...

*Guarantee not a real guarantee. Not suitable for on or off-road use. T's and C's apply.

teK--

Eats Squid
I love that their no questions asked *lifetime warranty also comes with a pile of conditions...

*Guarantee not a real guarantee. Not suitable for on or off-road use. T's and C's apply.
Also im sure "lifetime" means the expected life of the product. I.e. not until you're as old as grandpa Simpson

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It is interesting the demise of Zelvy from virtually a worldwide brand to fading away in such a short amount of time. One can only speculate that the warranty replacements and poor customer service contributed to this.
Yeah it's surprised me how they've seemingly vanished. 4-5 years ago they were a powerhouse getting rave reviews worldwide. Dirt Mag's (RIP) glowing recommendation was the reason I pulled the trigger on a PDL 29er set laced to some i9 Torch hubs - they were unbeatable vfm.

Personal experience with their stuff has been positive. Undeniably stiff and work much better with a more compliant frame, but track well and no issues with quality. A mate bought a secondhand 650b set laced to some CK hubs and has had no issues either, and he's not easy on his gear.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Wow, sick bicycles sounded like cunts.

Also, Zelvy having to re-boot the brand should be a clue that faeces was significantly fucked up, IMO.
They were! Trying to get a refund out of them was long and painful. I was one of the lucky ones.

Yes and the re-boot has been coming since October last year. Keen to see if the custom frames eventuate.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
They were! Trying to get a refund out of them was long and painful. I was one of the lucky ones.

Yes and the re-boot has been coming since October last year. Keen to see if the custom frames eventuate.
I started to get nervous when I noticed three of Greg’s business’ seemed to be closed down or VERY hard to contact - including Zelvy which was rebranding. It all started to feel a bit like a ponzi scheme of sorts so I got out and got my money back. I get that business is hard and I doff my hat to anyone who jumps in and takes on the massive risk so I don’t mean to shit on the bloke just for sport. I hope this goes well for anyone that invests in a set. I just wont be going there myself.

I will say that it seems at the very least he Is serious about improving quality and obviously didnt go ahead with propriety hubs that weren’t up to the task and instead went for tried and true DT.