Zerode Katipo Trail

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm more of a lurker than a poster on here but I have to share the new toy with you! This is now the 3rd Zerode in the stable, to compliment the G275 DH rig & Taniwha Enduro.

This build has been a real labour of love, from planning/negotiating the spec with Ali from Zerode, right through to lacing up the hoops. I'm super-stoked with the outcome & can't wait to give it a thrash! I've already spent a few days on a Katipo (in NZ Xmas before last) but it was the Enduro model with 160mm travel & ran a chain rather than the gates belt system so i'm keen to see how much more efficient this beast is on the trail.

The fork is internally adjustable between 140-180mm of travel & I got the 160mm Enduro link with the bike so I can up the travel on the Katipo with relative ease but the Taniwha is more suited to shuttle runs so this rig will likely stay pretty-much like it is for most of it's life.

Frame - Zerode Katipo Trail 475 (reach), Peppermint Rascal, 140mm travel, Pinion C1.12 12-speed gearbox with 39t gates sprocket
Rear shock - Fox Factory DPX2
Front shock/fork - Manitou Mezzer Pro LTD Edition (set @ 150mm travel)
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar Carbon
Stem - Renthal 40mm
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - Zerode
Saddle - Fabric Scoop Shallow
Seatpost - Bike Yoke Revive 160mm stealth
Front brake - Shimano XT M8000 w/8020 4-pot caliper & 180mm Ice-tec rotor
Rear brake - Shimano XT M8000 with 160mm Ice-tec rotor
Cranks - Pinion 170mm
Chainguide - Zerode bash guard
Chain - Gates belt
Pedals - Shimano XTR M-9120 trail
Front derailleur - Pfffttt...
Rear derailleur - Pfffttt...
Front shifter - Pfffttt...
Rear shifter - Pinion DS2 rotary shifter
Cassette - Gates 39t alloy sprocket
Front hub - Novatec 15x110 boost, 32h
Rear hub - Pinion H2R SS, 12x142, 32h
Front rim - Zerode carbon 29mm internal
Rear rim - Zerode carbon 29mm internal
Spokes - DT Competition black
Nipples - DT brass black
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF EXO TR 29x2.3 front & Aggressor EXO TR 29x2.3 rear
Tubes - Pfffttt...
Total weight - 14.9kg (as pictured)

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Wow, are you weighing the bike with one wheel on the ground, Chops style. . ;)

Awesome rig, that LE Mezzer looks great on there.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Very nice, and light too! Good looking rig for sure.

The belt drive is awesome, so light and quiet. Just have some silicon spray at the ready for when the fine dust gets onto the belt and the horrible squeal arrives! Mines been dead quiet since then.

Mine is the 160mm (enduro) and tips the scales at about 17.6 kgs. But that is with coil both ends.

I've got the trail link and air both ends ready to go, so it'll be interesting to see if I can get the weight down around this level.

You can also run the trail linkage with the 230 X 65 shock to get 150mm travel. Plenty of options. Enjoy!

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can also run the trail linkage with the 230 X 65 shock to get 150mm travel. Plenty of options. Enjoy!
Cheers @wkkie. The Guys @ Zerode reckon that the alternate linkage is all that's required to adjust the travel to 160mm. What length e-e & stroke are you running?

wkkie

Cheers @wkkie. The Guys @ Zerode reckon that the alternate linkage is all that's required to adjust the travel to 160mm. What length e-e & stroke are you running?
For the 160mm I'm running 230 X 65 with the enduro link.

clockworked

Like an orange
Awesome! I didn't know they could get that light!
Does it have to be a pinion rear wheel, or could i get a sprocket to fit one of the decent 142x12 hubs i already have?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Does it have to be a pinion rear wheel, or could i get a sprocket to fit one of the decent 142x12 hubs i already have?
You can get a variety of sprocket sizes to suit Shimano (HG) 9-spline.

wkkie

You can use any 142mm rear wheel with a hg driver.

Last edited:

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As per wkkie's comment, you can use any 12x142 hub or on theory, a boost hub & eliminate the belt retainer, but I doubt that'd end well...

The singlespeed hub effects an almost dishless rear wheel, which has obvious advantages.