Zerode Taniwha needs a diet!

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
So despite there being precisely 2447533 people all over it in seconds, I somehow managed to snap up a bargain priced Taniwha on bookface. The fork makes horrid noises and the frame has more creeks and groans than a haunted caste but it's still a good buy.
The only problem I have is the weight. 18kg! A bit excessive.
A fair bit of it would be in the wheels. The rims are Syntace w35, can't find the weight but apparently not too heavy, and Maxis DHF and SS 2.5 DH casing should be around the 1255g each. A tyre swap should be able to save a bit of weight. Any recommendations? Not sure if it has inserts, will check soon.

The rest:
Pinion 12 speed
DVO Diamond Fork - CC steel spring - Valt spring would help.
DVO Jade coil 216x63
DVO Garnet dropper 150mm
Sram guide rsc brakes
I9 hubs
Kore ocd 20 bars
Core Fabric saddle

Previous owner was mostly riding at Theadbo, I will be riding up hill. I am not much of a weight weeny but it's bad enough that it looks like an e-bike, it doesn't have to weigh as much as one. Whats your thoughts people?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tyres for sure (Exo MaxTerra or the like?), other than that cranks, bars, stem, and coil -> air are probably the most beneficial changes.. Maybe swap out the rims for some light bicycle carbon or XM481 etc too? It'll always be heavy though.

Jpez

Down on the left!
So despite there being precisely 2447533 people all over it in seconds, I somehow managed to snap up a bargain priced Taniwha on bookface. The fork makes horrid noises and the frame has more creeks and groans than a haunted caste but it's still a good buy.
The only problem I have is the weight. 18kg! A bit excessive.
A fair bit of it would be in the wheels. The rims are Syntace w35, can't find the weight but apparently not too heavy, and Maxis DHF and SS 2.5 DH casing should be around the 1255g each. A tyre swap should be able to save a bit of weight. Any recommendations? Not sure if it has inserts, will check soon.

The rest:
Pinion 12 speed
DVO Diamond Fork - CC steel spring - Valt spring would help.
DVO Jade coil 216x63
DVO Garnet dropper 150mm
Sram guide rsc brakes
I9 hubs
Kore ocd 20 bars
Core Fabric saddle

Previous owner was mostly riding at Theadbo, I will be riding up hill. I am not much of a weight weeny but it's bad enough that it looks like an e-bike, it doesn't have to weigh as much as one. Whats your thoughts people?
The green one? That was a fucking bargain! At least it looked like it from the ad.
well done.
not in Melbourne are you? I’m seriously considering a Zerode for my next bike but really need to try out the grip shift.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The green one? That was a fucking bargain! At least it looked like it from the ad.
well done.
not in Melbourne are you? I’m seriously considering a Zerode for my next bike but really need to try out the grip shift.
Add myself and @wkkie to that list too please... :p

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
18kg is quite hefty! Was that the actual weight or an estimation?

It was good value on the face of it. Not sure on the dropper, but about the only thing I would have changed is the brakes.

Tyres is a place to save weight for sure. Go the exo casings and possibly even drop a size down to 2.3 if you like to climb.

Sounds like the rest of the bike wasn't maintained, but how does the gearbox seem?

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
For me overall weight isn’t a massive concern. It’s weight at the tyres and rims I notice - I am a heavy bloke though.

A full drink bottle is 700g and I can’t tell any difference if it’s full or not for example

The rims are 580g each. Dt 511s are 570g and flows are 527g. Carbon rims could easily get down to 400g each. That’s 360g which isn’t much overall. It’s just in one of the spots you really notice it.

The tyres are a better bang for buck saving. Even maxxis exo DHR2 WT 2.4 3c exo (955g) would save you 600g at both ends!

Rims and tyre combo is around a kg in the most important area.

Beyond that....Do you like coil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
18kg is quite hefty! Was that the actual weight or an estimation?

It was good value on the face of it. Not sure on the dropper, but about the only thing I would have changed is the brakes.

Tyres is a place to save weight for sure. Go the exo casings and possibly even drop a size down to 2.3 if you like to climb.

Sounds like the rest of the bike wasn't maintained, but how does the gearbox seem?
Actual weight on the bathroom scales. When I first picked it up I was really shocked. I have had a chance to go over it a bit and found the rear suspension bearings are good, most of the noises were coming from the chain tensioner spring. A good clean fixed that. Still a clunking noise when I pedal.
The dropper has to go, it's just too slow. I want to be kicked in the nuts ever time I press the lever.
The gearbox seems ok, I will change the oil tonight.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
For me overall weight isn’t a massive concern. It’s weight at the tyres and rims I notice - I am a heavy bloke though.

A full drink bottle is 700g and I can’t tell any difference if it’s full or not for example

The rims are 580g each. Dt 511s are 570g and flows are 527g. Carbon rims could easily get down to 400g each. That’s 360g which isn’t much overall. It’s just in one of the spots you really notice it.

The tyres are a better bang for buck saving. Even maxxis exo DHR2 WT 2.4 3c exo (955g) would save you 600g at both ends!

Rims and tyre combo is around a kg in the most important area.

Beyond that....Do you like coil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you are right. Less rolling and unsprung weight will make the bike feel much lighter. the Michelin Force AM are 720g each.

I do like the coil and it makes the most of the light rear end.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Actual weight on the bathroom scales. When I first picked it up I was really shocked. I have had a chance to go over it a bit and found the rear suspension bearings are good, most of the noises were coming from the chain tensioner spring. A good clean fixed that. Still a clunking noise when I pedal.
The dropper has to go, it's just too slow. I want to be kicked in the nuts ever time I press the lever.
The gearbox seems ok, I will change the oil tonight.
I’m not familiar with the dropper but you can up the airy pressure in many of then. take the seat off and see if there is a little covert over a scharder valve. If so, pump it up with a shock pump to 300psi.

Wheels sound like a high quality set - i9 hubs and syntace rims. Don’t change those (Or give them to me if you do). I reckon gearbox, tyres and coil suspension is where all your extra weight is. None of that is a bad thing but can be changed if you want. Go EXO maxxis tyres and move over to air forks/shock at some stage.

Minlak

custom titis
I’m not familiar with the dropper but you can up the airy pressure in many of then. take the seat off and see if there is a little covert over a scharder valve. If so, pump it up with a shock pump to 300psi.

Wheels sound like a high quality set - i9 hubs and syntace rims. Don’t change those (Or give them to me if you do). I reckon gearbox, tyres and coil suspension is where all your extra weight is. None of that is a bad thing but can be changed if you want. Go EXO maxxis tyres and move over to air forks/shock at some stage.
If it can be pressurised with air there will normally be a recommendation on the seat post on the side of the head clamp area of the seat - the Trans X for example is between 230 - 250 psi max

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That's a solid fucking bike.

The Garnet is a solid dropper. Probably needs a service and some extra air. Could save 150g with a weightweenie 150mm dropper. A lightweight saddle could save another 150g.

Going to DVO Topaz will save you 500g. I've got one in 216x63 I would consider swapping.

DVO diamond is an excellent fork but a Fox36 or Lyric will be 300g lighter.

Those brakes are entirely inadequate. XTR is lightest but most pricey option.

The Syntace w35 rims are heavy. Consider a set of Nextie enduros. Will save you 300g. Sapim Cx-rays another 100g. Dropping to Exo casing will also help but you will probably need inserts if it doesn't have them. If it has Cushcores get Rimpacts. Potential 800g saving.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk