Zipp 3zero Moto wheel

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I was looking at buying one on special. It was listed as having 12 pawls with 132poe. But it's actually the previous model with the ZM1 hub which is 4 pawls and 50ish Poe. At $680 is it, in peeps opinions, still a reasonable buy? Or go a Nukeproof Horizon V2 at $500??

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Presume that one wheel? Does it include the Tyrewiz?

The Zipp isn’t light but supposed to give lots of compliance and ride nicely.

Considering a new rear Zipp is around $1400 I would try it out for that price. POE is the same’ish as Hope (48) and I have no issues or complaints.

DMan

Presume that one wheel? Does it include the Tyrewiz?

The Zipp isn’t light but supposed to give lots of compliance and ride nicely.

Considering a new rear Zipp is around $1400 I would try it out for that price. POE is the same’ish as Hope (48) and I have no issues or complaints.
It does include the tyrewiz. I really liked the reviews on how nicely it rides. Disappointed it's not the next gen hub but like you said the price is good. I've had Hopes and was fine with their Poe.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
havn't used any zipp mtb wheel but there road/track stuff is a cut above the std fare, there hubs are great, they dont make a bad wheel

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Get it, they're bloody good. Insane levels of traction. Unsure about the hubs but for that price you won't be disappointed.

shiny

It does include the tyrewiz. I really liked the reviews on how nicely it rides. Disappointed it's not the next gen hub but like you said the price is good. I've had Hopes and was fine with their Poe.
Bargain! Buy now before I find it. Unless 27.5 then no good. :D

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A pair for $1300 is insane value for all those 27.5 riders out there.

A mate that owns/runs a shop had them and loved them. They are well over $3k retail

shiny

Humour me.
Without market speak.
How is a carbon rim giving more compliance and traction?
My mate runs then. Loves them. But you have to convince yourself you made a sensible purchase after laying down $3k.
It’s the layup and profile. Pretty much a similar approach to the Bowmesiter rims. So thin rim and specific layup allows the rim to be ‘softer’ which is supposed to be better traction and absorbing trail chatter.

Ironically Spanks 350 rims are supposed to do the same thing and weigh about the same but cost about $1000 for a wheelset or less if DIY.

Well that’s how I understand it. I may be wrong.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s the layup and profile. Pretty much a similar approach to the Bowmesiter rims. So thin rim and specific layup allows the rim to be ‘softer’ which is supposed to be better traction and absorbing trail chatter.
I said, without market speak!
I have other mates who run regular carbon wheels. They love touting them to be both stiffer, and more compliant. I always LOL.

DMan

A pair for $1300 is insane value for all those 27.5 riders out there.

A mate that owns/runs a shop had them and loved them. They are well over $3k retail
I only bought a rear as I'm mulleted but certainly feeling better about it now after these comments

Humour me.
Without market speak.
My mate runs then. Loves them. But you have to convince yourself you made a sensible purchase after laying down $3k.
Never in this world could I justify $3K as well. But I had carbons on the last bike and loved the stiffness of them. So at $680 I was keen to try it as a rear seeing my current is shot.

Ironically Spanks 350 rims are supposed to do the same thing and weigh about the same but cost about $1000 for a wheelset or less if DIY.

Well that’s how I understand it. I may be wrong.
That's pretty much how I read it.

DMan

I said, without market speak!
I have other mates who run regular carbon wheels. They love touting them to be both stiffer, and more compliant. I always LOL.
"Lots of Love" them?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Humour me.
Without market speak.
I have a mild obsession with compliance. I'm also not a huge fan of inserts (although I've only tried Cushcore). Without going on a very boring and probably vaguely condescending dribble about how carbon is an alchemy material (which would undoubtedly also foul into marketing wankspeak territory) I am fascinated by it and how it seems to be able to be constructed to have almost any characteristic you could desire. A couple of years ago I had an opportunity to borrow a set for a weekend and was blown away by how they just seemed to find traction anywhere. No slip, no wiggle, any line is fine (so far). It's a bit addictive. So ultimately I convinced myself to get some.

Put simply: it's like buying confidence. Whether that's worth the asking price is very debatable but I also like the idea of supporting in house manufacturing a lot - which this wheelset is.
It’s the layup and profile. Pretty much a similar approach to the Bowmesiter rims.
I believe Zipps and BC Tamars are almost identical in profile. Only reason Zipp didn't get a cease and desist is they could prove they'd started development of the Moto the same time Bouwmeester started his.
I've tried and had carbon rims that have definitely not been more compliant than alloy. But the Zipps and CB Synthesis certainly are.

Edit: also back to back testing on the same bike I'd say Nexties are more compliant than the Mavic alloy rims on there previously.

Last edited: