Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rider etiquette sticky?

Default Rider etiquette sticky?

with all this hoo haa regarding the race on the weekend
    Should we have a sticky on rider ettiquete?

I.

i.e passing, calling track, number of riders.

When I passed a few riders on course
    I did tell them that there were more behind me.

i.e. Hi how are you going? If you see a gap can we pass when you get a chance?
    there's me plus 1 behind me.

and once passed,
    great, thank you have a good day.

my 2c

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists

Default Overtaking Rules

Here are the basic rules that CORC has in place for our various 24Hr races... Now, CORC doesn't make the rules for racing, but so far these rules have worked OK for 11,998 riders in our 24Hr races since we put them in place formally in 2003.

Right-of-Way, Passing and Being Passed

A rider walking their bike must give way to any rider who is riding their bike.

There are separate rules for right of way when exiting from helper and feed zones. In summary, when exiting from the feed or helper zone, give way to your right.

Calling 'Track'. Calling 'Track' does not give a rider the right to expect the rider in front to allow them to pass, however a clearly slower or lapped rider should not obstruct a faster rider. A rider coming up behind another rider and wishing to pass will call 'Track'. When the rider in front feels it is safe to do so, they will call 'On my Left/Right' and move to the appropriate side of the course to allow the overtaking rider to pass them on their Left/Right.

The rider being overtaken has right of way until the overtaking rider has passed and is one bike length clear. If the overtaking rider knows that there will be additional riders passing, the overtaking rider should call, for example, 'two more coming through' when they pass the rider being overtaken.

3/. Pick up your crap. Do not leave goo wrappers, punctured tubes, etc behind. You wouldn't do it bushwalking, so why do it MTBing? Being 'Ellite' is no excuse or justification....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreggsy View Post
    with all this hoo haa regarding the race on the weekend Should we have a sticky on rider ettiquete?
    Ok I know this is some shameless self promotion but...

I wrote this some time ago... There's some irony in the context of this post I won't go into ;)

http://forums.farkin.net/showpost.ph...4&postcount=43

I started writing a cleaner more generic version and is currently been sitting in my draft folder for quite a few months now. I should finish it off and post it up for comment.

I don't know if we need a whole thread on it though, the concept is pretty straight forward. The rider in front has right of way at all times, regardless of your speed, or their speed, or the relative positions in whatever race you think you're in.

*shrug*

Cheers
    Gonz
    Last edited by DaGonz; 10-03-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    Solo-Nutter (defn): A member of an elite breed of hardened idiot...
    Niner Bikes | Manitou Suspension | Dirt Works |Burwood Cycleworld | SpoonBoy

Quote Originally Posted by DaGonz View Post
    The rider in front has right of way at all times, regardless of your speed, or their speed, or the relative positions in whatever race you think you're in.
    But given we are talking about etiquette, it should be pointed out that it is downright rude to refuse to let a faster rider pass you if it safe to do so.
    Last edited by Some Guy; 10-03-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    http://racing.thylacinecycles.com - More cycling craziness than you can poke a spoke at!
    Posted by akashra: I'll be doing the series in a mixed pair
    Reply by sossy: You found a guy to ride with???

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    But given we are talking about etiquette, it should be pointed out that it is downright rude to refuse to let a faster rider pass you if it safe to do so.
    For sure... but at what point does it then become acceptable for the faster rider to start extending elbows? I would argue that it's equally rude to barge through just because you think you're being held up. I certainly think that if you're an elite rider representing whatever company, you have no excuse. Sure nobody is perfect, people will have moments, bad days, be tired or grumpy, stuff a move up just in the heat of the moment or because despite calling, agreeing and everyone well aware of what's going on, make a mistake. But some riders seem to have more of a reputation for pointy elbows than others.

Cheers
    Gonz
    Last edited by DaGonz; 10-03-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    Solo-Nutter (defn): A member of an elite breed of hardened idiot...
    Niner Bikes | Manitou Suspension | Dirt Works |Burwood Cycleworld | SpoonBoy

Quote Originally Posted by Dreggsy View Post
    with all this hoo haa regarding the race on the weekend
    Should we have a sticky on rider ettiquete?
    Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by gnarly_rider View Post
    3/. Pick up your crap. Do not leave goo wrappers, punctured tubes, etc behind. You wouldn't do it bushwalking, so why do it MTBing? Being 'Ellite' is no excuse or justification....
    Absolutely. Rule applies to everyone, everywhere, all the time. Getting a bit off topic but you shouldn't do it walking down the street to the shops either.

I don't know if we need a whole thread on it though, the concept is pretty straight forward.
    Would like to think you're right and agree that the concept is straight forward but from experience on the track it does not appear to be the case.

Having the sticky will be a good idea for anyone unsure on the correct methods for passing etc.

As we all know it won't stop riders barging past or dropping gu wrappers etc. It's why I didn't bother to tell Stu about track agro on the weekend. The riders that behave this way are not going to listen to someone telling them to behave more appropriately.

I don't know if we need a whole thread on it though, the concept is pretty straight forward.
    Yup it is very straight forward. The majority will follow the same or similar views to each other (eg call track and wait, or track called and advise R/L when safe). The minority will continue to say passing right/left and expect to you to move out of there way straight away. Some riders are just jerks.

[Stampy butts another elephant]
    Marge: Gosh, I thought he'd be happier in his true habitat.
    Warden: Oh, I think he is.
    Marge: Then why is he attacking all those other elephants?
    Warden: Well, animals are not like people, Mrs. Simpson. Some of them
    act badly because they've had a hard life, or have been
    mistreated...but, like people, some of them are just jerks.
    Stop that, Mr. Simpson.
    [Homer butts the warden repeatedly]

For sure... but at what point does it then become acceptable for the faster rider to start extending elbows?
    Never. It's against the rules, it's against the spirit of racing, it's just not on. If someone does block me I'll just sit there and watch the rider behind who I've been working my guts out to gap catch back up. If it's unsafe then I have no problem, but if you can move aside and allow the pass, you should. It really is no fun being held up excessively.
    http://racing.thylacinecycles.com - More cycling craziness than you can poke a spoke at!
    Posted by akashra: I'll be doing the series in a mixed pair
    Reply by sossy: You found a guy to ride with???

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast