Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283
Results 821 to 829 of 829

Thread: What do your kids ride?

  1. #821
    Senior Member Knuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Melbourne West
    Posts
    11,344

    Default

    Sorry, put them on the 20" Chucker, for when the daughter is ready to graduate from her purple unicorn bike.....pluhease, let that be soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
    chops makes me as angry as looking at my Crank Bros dropper post does
    Quote Originally Posted by no one ever View Post
    Australia Post is awesome!

  2. #822
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    25,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    Sorry, put them on the 20" Chucker, for when the daughter is ready to graduate from her purple unicorn bike.....pluhease, let that be soon.
    You monster!
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  3. #823
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    the shed
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    What's the approach to altering crank lengths? Pro job? Drill press? Makita and a wobbly pedal? Cut off the excess? Or leave a bit for next size up?
    Be careful with that, it was new once.

  4. #824
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    25,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schred View Post
    What's the approach to altering crank lengths? Pro job? Drill press? Makita and a wobbly pedal? Cut off the excess? Or leave a bit for next size up?
    Drill press for sure. The correct threading direction is the tricky bit. I'd cut off excess. Wouldn't use again later with additional hole.
    Last edited by moorey; 15-06-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  5. #825
    Senior Member Binaural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    So, I have a three year old who I am trying to interest in riding. I found a kid's bike equipped with training wheels at a council clean-up a few days ago and thought it was a low-risk means of seeing if he was into it. A mate of mine suggested taking off the training wheels and removing the cranks to turn it into a balance bike to help him get started. Has anyone done this, or should I just keep the bike as is?
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

  6. #826
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    943

    Default

    I definitely recommend not using training wheels. it may be a bit frustrating in the short term but longer term much better.

    Even better would be to try and find a cheap but decent quality 2nd hand balance bike (e.g. Strider or something similar).

  7. #827
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowManiac View Post
    I definitely recommend not using training wheels. it may be a bit frustrating in the short term but longer term much better.

    Even better would be to try and find a cheap but decent quality 2nd hand balance bike (e.g. Strider or something similar).
    I completely agree with that. Trainer wheels teach all the wrong things. In particular they don't teach proper balancing and steering

  8. #828
    Senior Member silentbutdeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere flat.....
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Binaural View Post
    So, I have a three year old who I am trying to interest in riding. I found a kid's bike equipped with training wheels at a council clean-up a few days ago and thought it was a low-risk means of seeing if he was into it. A mate of mine suggested taking off the training wheels and removing the cranks to turn it into a balance bike to help him get started. Has anyone done this, or should I just keep the bike as is?
    Remove training wheels and bin them. Remove cranks and keep them for later. Balance bike is a go. Worked for us...

  9. #829
    Senior Member flamin'trek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    on the 'net, not the bike.
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silentbutdeadly View Post
    Remove training wheels and bin them. Remove cranks and keep them for later. Balance bike is a go. Worked for us...
    Plus one. Balance bike worked really well, it took no time for them to learn to pedal after the balance bike.

    One thing about training wheels though is the it really gives them a good opportunity to learn how to back pedal brake with feet on the pedals. My littlest is struggling with braking having not really done it before on a bike, but his cousin has had practice skidding on the training wheel bike so has worked it out quickly.

Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •