Well a couple of months ago i was cleaning out my shed and found a couple of old BMX's i had forgotten that i had, and being the horder that i am i decided to see if they were worth restoring insted of throwing out.
And with a bit of help from you rotorburn fellas i found out that one of the bikes is a 1981(30years old next year!!) Giant/repco hotfoot. I gave the other one to my foreman who has allways wanted a BMX with tufflites but never had one as a kid....
So i began hunting round the net to get info/colour schemes and orignal parts for the hotfoot. I wanted to restore it to orignal condition(or close too) with out spending much money as i am one of those forever poor uni students. So im going to do all the work myself, which shouldnt be too bad.
I found some of the orignal advertising material for these bikes, So i decided to go with a dark blue frame with yellow forks and chrome everything else. I know thats not excatly what the picture shows but i like the idea of yellow forks better :D
I also managed to find a sticker block that is currently began made into stickers. Plus the yellow stickers on the frame will look good with the yellow forks.
According to the 'OZ BMX' forum this number means it was made by Giant in the 12month of 1981.....
Before being pulled apart
Random bits that i should be albe to pull apart and clean up. Im hoping that those handle bars will polish up nicely.
Came with Araya BMX rims, the rims are in good condition but ive still deciding(money) weather to re spoke it or to just clean it up. The hub will be pulled right down and rebuilt either way.
Goodies from CRC
-Tioga comp 3's and tubes
-Tood stool grips
Still waiting on
-Gold chain ring bolts
The thread on the forks was ok, most of the crap you can see was just dirt but there was some of the thread that was barley there. but 30 mins with a wire brush and the lathe at work had it looking mush better about 75%
Pulling the bike apart. Its an old habit from work to bag and label eveything in the order that it is pulled apart, makes sure you dont lose anything and makes reassembly sooooo much eaiser. The bearings in the headstem were also in pretty good nick too, the cups were also nice and smooth with no visable wear/pitting/rust ect
Stripping the paint. Whoever had done the paint before me had done a pretty good job. The paint was thick and there was even a nice base coat of etch primer under the top coat= no rust at all on the frame.
The forks all painted up after being primed. The gloss spary paint turned out very good after putting the cans in warm water for 10mins, the mist was allmost as fine as the 2pak paint we do at work with a compressor.
After about 2 hrs of paint stripping and sanding (120,180,240,300Grit) i managed to prime the frame. There are a couple of little dints i did my best to get out but im not going to be too worried about them. I think they add character and after all it is a budget build.
The Sugino 1 piece cranks were in very good condition, the threads were perfect and the bearings were still fill of grease, but there is a bit of surface rusr near the peadal i have to get rid of before i polish it.
Heres a couple of the frame all painted up. I used just cheapo enamel spray paint from bunnings, But i did spend awhile sanding it all back-priming it, sanding it back again, then rubbing it over with wax and grease remover to make sure the paint would sit right, also for those with a keen eye i put a thin layer of wheel bearing grease(so the paint dosent stick and i can just wipe it off and ive got a clean non paint contaminated bearing cup) in all the bearing cups partly beacause i wanted the lip of the cup to get paint and that would be hard to mask properly and secondly becasue is was quicker.
Hope you guys like it