Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Totally Over Magpies

Default Totally Over Magpies

So, yesterday I headed out to Mt Annan to ride the XC track at the Botanical Gardens. I caught a train out to Campbelltown and rode over to my parents place who live in Mt Annan and met up with a mate there. On the way, at Kurrajong Cct (for those who know the area)I started getting swooped by a maggie. This bird was like an attack plane, constantly swooping, hitting my helmet. At one point it was gliding about a meter behind the bike, a foot above the ground before coming in for the kill. This thing chased me all the way to my parents place and didn't stop until I got underneath the verandah. Measuring on Google maps, it's like a kilometer (see here).

Once I got to the safety of inside I attached a bunch of cable ties sticking up to my helmet and my mate and I set off to Mt Annan. Unfortunately we had to go back through the area again and as we were riding through, here was the magpie. I was in front, and my mate started to speed up and just as he got beside me, the bird came in and got him in the helmet. This caused him to swerve into me, our handlebars locked and we were both down on the bitumen. My rear derailleur hanger was bent, as was his, but worst of all his front DT Swiss wheel was mangled beyond repair. So we walked back home feeling pretty ordinary.

A trip to the bike shop later and a straightened rear hanger for me, and I decided to at least salvage something from the day and headed out to Mt Annan track again. This time I went the long way round and avoided the war zone. However, I have got to say that it was my most unenjoyable ride ever, as when I wasn't getting swooped going around the track I was constantly paranoid about being swooped. With so many helmet strikes, I am truly surprised I don't have feather sticking out of my helmet.

After this long story, I wish there was some punchline or other, but the reality is, I'm just totally over magpies.

Oh man, that sounds horrible.
    So the pies were out at the Botanical Gardens track as well?
    I know the feeling of not being able to enjoy a ride because you are too busy anticipating the attacks rather than enjoying the ride. There is a bunch of Plovers that swoop me on my weekend ride to Kingston. They go at you right as you head around the roundabout.
    As if dealing with the traffic wasn't enough.
    When I move back to NSW in December I was hoping to be using that trail as one of my locals. It looks like a great track.
    It's only in Spring that they go crazy yeah?
    Anyway, hope ya mates wheel can get sorted.

Yeah such a fail football team.... ohh wait ;)

have had good results with White cable ties this season.... good be flukey & no doubt now that i have said something my luck will turn!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreit View Post
    have had good results with White cable ties this season.... good be flukey & no doubt now that i have said something my luck will turn!
    We need to look out for the butcher bird out here to eh mollo, there pretty aggressive!

I was just going for a casual jog the other day and this damn thing wouldn't leave me alone, so I started trying to hit it with my cap and shirt. This thing was aiming square at my eyes! Are there no solutions?

Its odd that I do quite enjoy feeding magpies, and talking to them, etc, but when they swoop they can be pains.. Just the usual techniques, cable ties and drawn on eyes on the back of your helmet. Be glad your wearing a helmet
    Traded with 25+ Farker's.

Quote Originally Posted by 3viltoast3r View Post
    Its odd that I do quite enjoy feeding magpies, and talking to them, etc, but when they swoop they can be pains.. Just the usual techniques, cable ties and drawn on eyes on the back of your helmet. Be glad your wearing a helmet
    There was a vid on here somewhere a while back about solutions to swooping magpies. they went through the same zone several times wearing different headgear, same result. Last go was with no helmet, and no magpie! Dunno if I'd try it though..
    I won't beat you to the punch, i'll punch you to the beat - Hilltop Hoods

If you constantly look at them they wont swoop, but that doesn't work on a bike, cuase you might hit something and fall of.

But if the sun is in the right derection, i just watch the shadow, then when it gets close, swing your arms at it. You look like a complete moron, but its effective
    Quote Originally Posted by driftking View Post
    I don't know what your talking about but I got bucked the other day on a double and manged to do a triple pike tuck and land on my feet on the down ramp. Id give it a 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kurt View Post
    ... If you constantly look at them they wont swoop, ...
    they are quick buggers though ... I was looking at one prolly 10meters away from me he was on a fence ... he was watching me ... I was watching him ... then thought ... I'll quickly pickup a stick ... I dropped my eyes, tilted my head down and he was on top of me (whats that 1 or 2 seconds max prolly less) ... admittedly I had a hat on and normally when we walk past without head gear he doesn't swoop.

Its definately a heart starter ... but I kinda like / appreciate it for what it is ... I love the buggers all the other seasons :)

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast