Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 29er Tyre Thread

Default 29er Tyre Thread

Hi folks

Forgive me if this has already been done, I thought it was time for a 29er specific tyre thread.

Manufacturers are slowly coming on board, but there are still relatively few 29er tyres available, and even less if you're looking for a tubeless option.

Bodin has gotten the ball rolling with his 2-Bliss thread (http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...iss-29er-tyres...), and there's plenty of other gems out there as well.

Can I get the ball rolling with a question:

Has anyone tried the Geax TNT tyres (Saguaro in particular) as a 29er tubeless option?

Any comment on them as a tyre? I've not ridden on them, and I am not the lightest or smoothest rider. My gut feel is that they look grippier than a Crossmark, but may not be aggressive enough for my comfort in using them as a front tyre option (typcially run either Ignitor, Rendez, and Larsens in the past)

The TNT aspect appeals to me as I've had mixed success in converting Maxxis folding beads to tubeless (ok on Ignitor and Ardent, no joy with Crossmark as yet, need a bigger compressor)

Breaker of the unbreakable

Running a pair of Gear Saguaro's 29x2.2 w/ tubes.

Flawless IMO!
    Stop reading this and go ride your bike!

Haven't seen this in the flesh yet either, but looks promising.

Geax AKA:

http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=2&prod=5

Default great but painful

Quote Originally Posted by leftieant View Post
    Can I get the ball rolling with a question:

Has anyone tried the Geax TNT tyres (Saguaro in particular) as a 29er tubeless option?

Any comment on them as a tyre? I've not ridden on them, and I am not the lightest or smoothest rider. My gut feel is that they look grippier than a Crossmark, but may not be aggressive enough for my comfort in using them as a front tyre option (typcially run either Ignitor, Rendez, and Larsens in the past)

The TNT aspect appeals to me as I've had mixed success in converting Maxxis folding beads to tubeless (ok on Ignitor and Ardent, no joy with Crossmark as yet, need a bigger compressor)
    Used the TNT version on flows and it was murder to get them on. The standard version sealed tubeless easily first up but not anymore. They seemed to stretch a bit and now they are alittle warped.
    Great allround tyre with lots of grip, big bag and above average rollers.
    JD

Banned

Have tried Nevegals, Race Kings and CST Critters (http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...-Well-done-CST...) so far... all of them are good.

The bag of the Nevegals is great, but I prefer the low knobs of the Race Kings (and the price of the CSTs)... anything like that out there...???

The AKAs look good... might try them.
    Last edited by workmx; 09-11-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Im going to get a couple of the new Maxxis IKON 29's to try as rears , the look similar but a bit beefier than SB8's so should be good on our loose over hardpack.

Evil Following
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Pivot Vault CX
    Fat SingleSpeed
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Default +1 Geax

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphryss View Post
    Running a pair of Geax Saguaro's 29x2.2 w/ tubes.

Flawless IMO!
    I ran a non-TNT Saguaro on the rear of my full suspension bike, ghetto-tubeless for over 1000km. Worked really well in a majority of conditions, from sandstone to Capital Punishment mudfest. Currently running it on the front of my hardtail, but I think I preferred it more as a rear tyre (i.e. I lack the skill to run a worn, fast rolling tyre on the front of a hardtail.)

The TNT version is a completely different tyre to look at (sidewall feels seriously tough) but weighs around 200g more. I had one, but ended up selling it before I used it.

Would not hesitate to run one again, but I wouldn't bother with the TNT casing for my usage.
    IMBA Australia Member #66
    --

I'd been running Bontragers since I built my El Mariachi LE a few years ago.

Every ride resulted in (at least) one pinch flat.

I'm now on WTB Weirwolf LT (2.55 for my fat ass). Which I bought from Mal-Adjusted.

HEAVEN.

Cush, traction, and they dealt with rocky, shale infected chutes on the full rigid Salsa with ease.

I want me another set.

Elvis.

Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast