Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 222 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: All Mountain Tyres

Default All Mountain Tyres

So, as this is now the official " All Mountain Thread" we should start putting info up which is relevant.

Tyres.

They are black and round. Sure. Hold air. Check.

But what else ? Tread pattern ? Compound ? Sidewall strength ?

As All Mountain isnt really about XC, or DH, but a melting pot of a little bit of each,shouldnt the tyre be a combo of each discipline ? Tyres have developed greatly over the last few years, with intermediate sizes like 2.35 becoming common for the majority of riders. Sure, size varies between manufacturers, but I would hesitate to say that most riders would run a 2.3 on the front, and a 2.0-2.2 on the rear.

Hell, even my "XC" bike has a 2.2 Ardent on the front!

So, in lieu of a XC tyres thread, let have a AM thread for tyres that are bigger and stiffer than a XC lightweight, but not quite a 2.7 minion !

Heres a few I use.
    2.4 Maxxis Advantage. Aggressive tyre for the front.Have fitted tubeless, and tubed
    2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT. Great tyre for the rear. Not too good in mud though ! Prefer these over the SB8 if there is anything but hardpack.Have fitted tubeless and tubed
    2.35 Kenda Small Block 8. Hey, dont laugh, these are great tyres for when its dry. Couldnt get to seal tubeless,but they were not new when I tried....tubed
    2.35 Hutchison Barracuda. Enormous tyre for the size. Tubeless tyre, easy..
    2.35 Spec Eskar. A lot smaller than the Barracuda, alot lighter, and thinner in sidewall, but grips well, and can be used tubeless with the 2bliss carcass.Tubeless and tubed.

Havnt been fortunate enough to try Scwalbe or Continentals best, yet..

Your thought,experience ?

2.3" halo rail: fast, great in the midpack stuff, predictable cornering.

2.3" Gazza AM: light, great all rounder for bendigo, failed in sandy conditions, wouldn't corner but took a pretty good DH beating, better than the azonic 2.5" vigilante tyre.

2.3" Nuerons: have been a stable tyre, have suffered a few flats with them though, more than usual even though their a thicker tyre than normal? maybe less give.

Good thread though!

ah yes WTB weirwolfs: BEST tyre for in pine/NS, that tyre gripped and saved me numerous times on NS where other tyres would of failed.
    Last edited by Sethius; 02-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Hey cool a AM section finally:)! Ok my tyres are.....

2.5 WTB wierwolfs for when i do a bit of DH. they are crap for the you yangs though
    2.35 Maxxis larsens (super tacky) for summer AM days as long as its not to muddy
    2.1 Maxxis advantages (on a XC wheelset) when i need some lighter stuff for all day epics - got these cheap from Torp 7 and they have been surprisingly good

My brother swears by High Rollers. He has done the Mega a few times now and wont run anything else.
    Last edited by retroenduro; 01-03-2011 at 08:36 PM.

I use 2.25 Intense System 4 EX-DC tyres at the moment and they're good. Plenty of grip on hardpack and nice and predictable in sandy conditions. They roll really well too.
    I've got nothing to lose but my apathy...

This thread could be a great resource, as coming up with a good AM tire combo can fry your brain :)

Fwiw, my current tires:

Front: Maxxis High Roller 2.5
    Rear: Maxxis Crossmark 2.25

Run pressures 25-30psi, not too anal about it but not higher than 30.

I've really enjoyed this combo over Summer, turns out to be well suited to the rocky, hard, generally dry terrain around Castlemaine/Central Vic.

The combo feels surprisingly light when climbing, and is definitely great fun descending.

At some stage I intend on trying out a lighter, narrower combo of tires - more to have something to compare this combo too, but yeah all up have enjoyed this combo.
    Pete
    http://digitalhippie.net

I've got Kenda Nevegal 2.35s. They've been great with the recent wet conditions, but probably won't be so suited to dry, hardpacked Stromlo.

2.35 Larsens front and rear. 60a front and 40a rear. Most people think I have that back to front. Rears just about need replacement, fronts like new. Grip is fine at 30psi, front doesn't wash out and the rear grips. Only go higher pressures if I am riding bike paths etc. Not much mud riding but the Larsens are useless in the mud. They fill up very quickly and don't spin the mud out. Smoother than DH tyres and nicer on hard pack surfaces. Probably go for the same again.
    Last edited by Dales Cannon; 01-03-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: lost a word in the translation
    Itoko no roba wa ichirinshi ga dekimasen

The current tire combo I run most of the time is 2.35 Kenda Nevegal F/R DTC at 35PSI-40PSI
    Other combos I have tired:
    2.25 Advantage Front 60A and 2.1 Larsen TT for the rear 70A for faster rides
    2.35 Highroller (Slow Reezy) and 2.35 Larsen TT (Slow Reezy)

The Nevegal are a great if your after grip in most conditions, dont bother if you want a tire for Hardpack they don't roll the best. I have a 2.1 Nevegal tire which at some point I'll put on the rear.

single ply maxxis minion F 2.35 -front
    single ply maxxis larrsen tt 2.0 rear
    all day everyday!
    Hood Rich

under-the-radar comedian maxwolfie's Avatar

Ardent LUST (2.2 I think???) front & rear, seem to work well enough in terms of grip and rolling ability.

Page 1 of 222 1231151101 ... LastLast