Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Snakes

Default Snakes

I had my first near miss with a big brown snake today on the trails. it was hiding in a rut luckily it was on a fast down hill section. So I had a bit of pace on when I went over it but it whipped around just missed my leg and nailed my back tyre. Looked back that snake was pissed off it was going balistic so I warned all hikers to stay away. Any one else had any close shaves this year ?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

No snakes this year and have not seen one in Perth at all.
    But last year while on holiday just missed one when riding with my daughter. Got to love snakes in Tassie. Yea they are all poisonous but the are also slow. Well until you go swimming with one, but that may of been the brain being to busy swearing and me getting the hell out of the water.

Sounds like you had a near miss, gets the heart beating nice and good doesn't it. Know you alive.

Where was it?

Quote Originally Posted by pravy View Post
    Where was it?
    In a rut...

I have spotted 3 snakes on the road so far. All have been carpet snakes, but i just know it it is going to be a brown sooner or later.

Can't wait till i encounter one of those on the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by pravy View Post
    Where was it?
    In your house
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Do what I do - don't crash!

Yeah it makes you know your alive but it makes you think also. As your out in the forest away from roads adrenaline is up heart is pumping. Makes you think if I got bitten by a venomous snake what do I do? I have a basic first aid kit in my pack and basic first aid abilities. But that been said even with the first aid done your still alone in the forest heart pumping often out of service with your phone. Your ment to not move but riding out is often the only way out.

It was on the winter trail in cleland conservation park.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    In your house
    Growing up we would get one snake a year in the house. They either came for the frogs in the garden or the rats in the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoosemichael View Post
    Yeah it makes you know your alive but it makes you think also. As your out in the forest away from roads adrenaline is up heart is pumping. Makes you think if I got bitten by a venomous snake what do I do? I have a basic first aid kit in my pack and basic first aid abilities. But that been said even with the first aid done your still alone in the forest heart pumping often out of service with your phone. Your ment to not move but riding out is often the only way out.

I got told by a hiking friend (second hand information, anyone?) that: -Staying still, you will probably live 24 hours -walking 200 metres to your car will kill you
    Traded with 25+ Farker's.

whatever limb that was bitten, dont move it and put a pressure bandage on the wound. The venom moves through your muscle stream or something like that. The more you move the move the muscle, the faster the venom moves. So like the other guy said, stay where you are.

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast