Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon handlebar/stem/seatpost from ebay?

Default Carbon handlebar/stem/seatpost from ebay?

So im wondering, would you trust carbon parts off ebay?

$27/$31 for a carbon handlebar/seatpost seems so tempting for a loaners bike =X
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/31-8-720m...item4874a7c572
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7P-carbon...item3f3e47e5a3
    something with 2 wheels
    http://www.markphua.com

For such critical parts I would choose a known brand sourced from either CRC wiggle or jensen or even aussie sellers. I thought about these ebay ones for my first intro to carbon a couple of years back but opted out . If you search the web there are some who have had success and others who have had failures . I`m not saying these will be crap but they are an unkown and as such where is their quality control . I think both FSA and Ritchey got a hold of their copies that you find on Ebay and cut them up to see what construction was like and if memory serves correct there were quite a lot of inconsistencies with the product that would lead to failures .

Having said that there are reputable ones search and find them through different forums . Merek carbon I have heard are the more reputable sellers on Ebay .

For the price do it... Make a ride report... If you don't update it we know you died and don't buy them if you do update we all win.

My only concern to be 100% honest is quality control on the cheaper ones. This batch might be great the next not so much. I too have been tempted in fact might put them on the loaner then do ride reports.

Today Timmy took the loaner for spin and had a ball. here Timmy is smashing his first jump look at that grin.... here Timmy is dead he still looks happy but.....
    How can you DEFINE your limit if you don't FAIL?

Don't let them play you like a fiddle

Fuck. That.

Banned

Buy at your own peril.....

i warned a mate of carbon knock offs.... Or those that failed qc.....

didnt listen to me and bought a bontrager carbon bar for something like $60 shipped.... Installed it and hit ourimbah the next day. Bars clipped a tree, otb and the bars snapped........ Luckily it wasn't off a jump.... Could've ended a lot worst

Quote Originally Posted by markgab View Post
    So im wondering, would you trust carbon parts off ebay?

$27/$31 for a carbon handlebar/seatpost seems so tempting for a loaners bike =X
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/31-8-720m...item4874a7c572
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7P-carbon...item3f3e47e5a3
    I have bought plenty of carbon parts from Aliexpress. With no negative issues to report. Seatpost - yes I have used one for years, but it is a Road one. Aliexpress is probably exactly the same parts and sellers as ebay though. Aliexpress does offer buyer protection - and it genuinely does work, I have used it. Give a seatpost a go.

Bars I would not buy cheap period.
    A man must believe in something.
    I believe I'll have another beer!

President of the Andrew Bolt Fan Club.

Hmmm - have a Bontrager carbon bar en route from aliexpress. It was $40.

Looks like a real part, in at that the packaging etc is all with it - so thinking it is out of the Bontrager factory. Or may be I'm undrestimating the effort gone to make copies look like the real thing.

Dunno. I shall treat it with caution - perhaps any serious points of failure will be obvious enough if looked for.

Had an FSA knockoff seatpost on my last roadie that cost about $15 - it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Hmmm - have a Bontrager carbon bar en route from aliexpress. It was $40.

Looks like a real part, in at that the packaging etc is all with it - so thinking it is out of the Bontrager factory. Or may be I'm undrestimating the effort gone to make copies look like the real thing.

Dunno. I shall treat it with caution - perhaps any serious points of failure will be obvious enough if looked for.

Had an FSA knockoff seatpost on my last roadie that cost about $15 - it was fine.
    I rode a fake carbon Pinarello Dogma for two years. Perfect bike, once I sorted out small issues like a derailleur hanger not made from alfoil.

Overall I reckon the stuff from Aliexpress is perfectly fine.
    A man must believe in something.
    I believe I'll have another beer!

President of the Andrew Bolt Fan Club.

I bought knockoff bars and seatpost to see how bad they could be. The carbon "bontrager" seat post from Aliexpress had an awful clamping mechanism. It would slip (angle) occasionally, and on one occasion the saddle popped off. The diameter was slightly under as well, so wasn't as secure as I'd like so in the bin it went.

The "bontrager" handlebar felt nice to begin with, but ended up snapping when I lost balance on a skinny and rolled off the side (~1m drop). I too thanked my lucky stars it wasn't on a jump/ drop at speed! Needless to say I am a name brand convert now, especially after seeing the difference between my mate's SixC bars.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast