Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ShockWiz - Automated Suspension Tuning

Default ShockWiz - Automated Suspension Tuning

Has anyone else seen this thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...g-for-mountain

I ride a fair amount but my attitude to suspension set up (on a hardtail) has always been:
    1) Set pressure for body weight
    2) Put rebound in the middle of range
    3) Put compression damping in the middle of range
    4) Ride
    5) Only change something if it feels shit (haven't changed any setting for a year)

This seems to be the easy answer to get a relatively good tune without being a suspension enthusiast/wiz.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by k3n!f; 14-06-2015 at 05:48 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

New ASR Carbon http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...-bike-post-33*

My Yeti ASR Carbon *STOLEN* http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...on-Bling-9-9kg
    My retired Yeti ARC http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...pdate-post-26*

I really like the sound of this and considering buying in on kickstarter.

If really want to get the optimum go for a ride and really think and feel about what is going on what its weakness is, you really shouldn't need an app to tell you whats wrong.
    Did you see the second run when he came out of the berm he bottomed out going over that small roller and just cruising had about 50mm of travel, sounds like some BS to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by safreek View Post
    but then he went strange and got a scooter.
    Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurst hat zwei

I cant see it being worth the $$ at $250 per end, to roughly tell you how to setup your suspension??
    And say you have like a Pike RL it cant really give you much feedback on adjustments.

Also as it uses air pressures to measure position you cant use it with any Coil based suspension, and I''m not sure how well it will work with some more complicated air systems.
    I think it is a pretty cool gadget. but not nearly the replacement to good understanding of your bike and how suspension works.
    If you cant feel the characteristics that the shock wiz says it can tune out (if there is a way with your fox/shock) then fixing them wont help you a help your riding.

Also $250 is about what it cost to have a shock service and tune if your shock is over 12 months old.. .you need to get it serviced first. no point trying to setup a damper that isnt working 100%
    Last edited by merc-blue; 14-06-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by will2 View Post
    If really want to get the optimum go for a ride and really think and feel about what is going on what its weakness is, you really shouldn't need an app to tell you whats wrong.
    An engineering friend once told me "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it".

I'm certainly not comparing myself with a world cup DH rider, but a consumer level version of a shock diagnostics program seems like a great idea.

Maybe it's the nerd in me, but the idea of actually measuring shock performance and adjusting to get as close to an optimal damping coefficient seems much more accurate than going by feel.

Quote Originally Posted by merc-blue View Post
    I cant see it being worth the $$ at $250 per end, to roughly tell you how to setup your suspension??
    I think it's $250, and then you can disconnect it and put it on the front/rear/other bikes as required. I don't think it stays on the shock once tuned. Might be a great investment for the local bike shop, buy one and lend it to everyone who buys a new bike.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

New ASR Carbon http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...-bike-post-33*

My Yeti ASR Carbon *STOLEN* http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...on-Bling-9-9kg
    My retired Yeti ARC http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...pdate-post-26*

Some local bike shop is going to buy a box of these and then cream it renting them out. I'd say that's where the market would be.....buy a new bike and then for an extra $100 or so you get to rent the shockwiz for a week to set it up real all good like. Package deal.

Though if you're spending say $5k on a bike, you're only dropping an extra 5% on a shockwiz to ensure that you're really getting the best value out of it. Personally i'd love to have one but don't own a dually at the moment and the fork on my hardtail is a coil fork.

I'll probably buy one next time i upgrade, as that will be a dually and then its really only costing $125 per end when you think about it. Seems like a bargain to me - last time i was running air suspension i had absolutely no idea what i was doing or what should feel good and what shouldn't. I'd suspect that I'm not alone. Most people just play with the settings aimlessly not really putting much process into it.

This will just bring existing tech used by manufacturers to consumers. Bring it on.
    -

I reckon someone could make some dough taking people riding and educating them about shock tuning. It's a service I would pay for. Not so sure I'd pay for this though. It's just more data, not necessarily with any learning.
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it". - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffRidesBikes View Post
    ...This will just bring existing tech used by manufacturers to consumers. Bring it on.
    I'm not sure about this. This device can only measure air pressure. I haven't seen any commercial setups that use this as a measurement. Most systems are like the one pictured above where shock/fork position is measured using linear potentiometers. Presumably, there is some clever maths in the device that can translate changes in air pressure in the fork/shock to fork and shock position. My gut feeling is that simply measuring changes in air pressure will not be accurate enough to get the type of data you need for accurate suspension tuning.

For shock tuning and analysis on the trail I use a tripod and the 120fps mode on my panny digital camera. It really enables you to see what's going on. It also enables you to analyse rider position, which on a MTB is the thing that has the most affect on the suspension.
    Wanted: broken 10 speed XTR rear derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I reckon someone could make some dough taking people riding and educating them about shock tuning. It's a service I would pay for. Not so sure I'd pay for this though. It's just more data, not necessarily with any learning.
    Yes, that is an incredible idea! I probably wouldn't buy it but definitely see the worth in it. Business opportunities, someone is going to make a killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by safreek View Post
    but then he went strange and got a scooter.
    Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurst hat zwei

In my limited experience in parallel motorsport one thing a lot of riders lack is the ability to identify, clearly, what is wrong and what they want to change. So I'm torn as on one hand automating this and taking that potential skill away from riders is not in their LT interests if they want to be a better rider, but on the other most people don't ride for a better lap time so it will no doubt have some appeal.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast